If Milton can be coached up

Milton can't change. He does not have the "It" factor to play the position. Cannot teach touch or feel. You either have it or not.
You don't think Michigan spent a couple years and hundreds of hours of practice on his deep balls?

It simply is not in his DNA. So, the answer? Play someone else. Next man up.

This is a big if but if Heupel can work a miracle with JM and get his deep balls honed in we would be almost unstoppable on offense. I have been in the group wanting to see Bailey play then after seeing Hooker play wanted to see more of him. All things considered the best thing that could happen to these Vols would be Milton figuring it out. If he could get the deep ball down accurately it opens the entire field up not just for him to pass or run but for our running backs too. You can’t tell me that the Pitt coaches were not pulling their hair out in that first quarter and telling their guys you are gonna have to get back, these guys are running wide open! If he starts connecting on deep balls there is literally no way to stop this offense and I think that is what CJH is seeing and wants as well. All that being said I would love to see Bailey live up to his high school ranking but he has not yet and this offense has to have someone take the top off. Either way I’m super excited about this offense GBO!!

If we can just coach up Guarantano - oh wait.
JM was at Michigan 3 years and didn't get coached up. Guarantano was at Tennessee 5 yrs and Washington State one and didn't get coached up. It's possible, but the intangibles associated with being a great quarterback typically are not something that can be coached up.
JM is an imposing physical specimen - but seems to lack the intangibles needed to be a great quarterback.
I'll take a weak armed Peyton Manning over a JM for my quarterback every time.

Maybe we need to try to teach all of our wide receivers to run 3.7 in the fourty so that they can get in the vicinity of his passes.

This is a big if but if Heupel can work a miracle with JM and get his deep balls honed in we would be almost unstoppable on offense. I have been in the group wanting to see Bailey play then after seeing Hooker play wanted to see more of him. All things considered the best thing that could happen to these Vols would be Milton figuring it out. If he could get the deep ball down accurately it opens the entire field up not just for him to pass or run but for our running backs too. You can’t tell me that the Pitt coaches were not pulling their hair out in that first quarter and telling their guys you are gonna have to get back, these guys are running wide open! If he starts connecting on deep balls there is literally no way to stop this offense and I think that is what CJH is seeing and wants as well. All that being said I would love to see Bailey live up to his high school ranking but he has not yet and this offense has to have someone take the top off. Either way I’m super excited about this offense GBO!!
I just want to salute your personal integrity, and your football objectivity, Ref4Life.
We can all have favorite Vols, and pull for them to succeed, without taking on a fantasy league mindset of "my Vol" vs "your Vol."

Reactions: Ref4Life
"What if" and "I Bet I Could Fix _____" are the reasons Joe Milton keeps getting chances at D1 schools. Nobody has fixed him yet.

Reactions: mpfvol
St
Stopped reading after “almost impossible to stop”!
Clemson, Bama, Ohio st have been about as close as you can get the last few years,
And unless Milton can turn into Superman , we ain’t close to having what they had

It would also help if we have speedy receivers. They don't look that fast. At least not as fast as other receivers on other teams.

Even that isn’t a guarantee. Hyatt has dropped multiple passes for TD’s that has fell into his arms. We have play makers for sure on the outside but when our QB’s do hit them they have to catch it.
And what's crazy these tightends have been catching everything.

Uh.

No.

We don't know if the backs are THAT good. Too undisciplined. Can't afford any injuries at all on the OL.
You're also going to be playing Bama and GA. 2 freaking good defenses.

It would also help if we have speedy receivers. They don't look that fast. At least not as fast as other receivers on other teams.

Our receivers are able to outrun the DB's covering them. That's good enough for a TD if a QB can throw a pass that lets them run under it rather than throwing a straight line bullet at them. MIlton appears to be JG2 unfortunately. Heuple even said he makes those throws in practice. Bad sign.

JG was a better QB coming out of HS than Milton. JG's coaching staffs were unable to teach him beyond his HS level. It could he he had a new QB coach almost every year or it could be he didn't have the mental toughness needed to perform at a championship level. JM seems to be cur from the cloth and it will be a very difficult task for CJH to mold him into the QB he wants his to be. I don't think he can, but that is based only on the first two games of the season. I think the difficulty my be his arm is too strong for him to acquire the touch he needs for his entire passing game. I just hope we don't waste too many wins trying to force him into the QB starting role. This will be an interesting test of CJ's patients vs stubbornness.

Other side of the issue, why can't we coach up Harrison to be the starter? Because he's limited on his ability and limited on play calling.

Uh the WRs have been getting open with no problems.

I beg to differ. Most of those plays last week the receivers weren't open. Hence why #11 got hurt. Several deep balls would have been 50/50 if they were even catchable. Sure we had a few plays where we were wide open but that was short yardage and probably from bad coverage instead of us just burning defenders.

Wait til we start playing the tougher teams. You'll see our receivers lack the speed.

I sure hope I'm wrong though.

VN Store

Back