If I were Kellie...

lvocd

I would challenge the team to make a permanent POSITIVE mark in the program’s history books. The way they could do that is to indivually commit to using this time to put in the work necessary to make next season the record-breaking all-time greatest for team free-throw percentage.

Assuming everyone has access to a basketball goal and a kind friend to help shag balls, this would be an entirely achievable goal.

And also if I were Kellie, I’d find some money in the budget to spring for 6-8 regulation basketballs apiece to be used to practice free throws. Free throw shooting practice can be dramatically improved by the shooter being able to shoot continuously, in a rhythm. If a friend or two, or family members, are willing to shag balls and, as a team, keep handing balls to the shooter so she never has to move from her spot, I guaranTEE there’d be improvement if they shoot enough. Obviously they’d need to study techniques — YouTube is full of excellent tutorials — to make sure their mechanics are good and then check off with the staff through video...

That would definitely be a doable challenge!

Reactions: Volfan2012
If I were Kellie, I would seldom if ever look to this Board to provide anything of value to my teaching . (smile - no personal criticism for the thread)

In the distance past I observed the LVs shooting free throws where a smaller ring had been inserted to make it more difficult. Free throw drills usually had a manager returning the balls during the practice session and recording the number made and missed.

They also had a mechanism specifically for the MEEK who had less eye-hand-arm (muscle memory) coordination to improve her shooting.

I'd encourage them to enjoy the unexpected break from the elite sports machine. Enjoy and value their families, or quarantine mates. This is most likely the biggest stretch of time they've spent at home in years, and time they'll never spend again. Get perspective on what's important. Do some academic work, as KJH mentioned in her recent interview. Reflect on what the game and their teammates mean to them. Think some, but not very much, about the fleeting nature of life.

Also, be in tip top physical shape, no reason not to. Put up shots and do bball drills as you feel best for you. If its 20 times a day and you want to share videos of every second, go ahead. If you have a more personal approach it doesn't make you less a leader or a teammate. You are an experienced, responsible elite athlete; you know what that takes. In case you've forgotten, refer to the 6,000 pages we've recently sent to you. Simply put, BE READY.

Come back with a new appreciation for the awesome opportunity you've been given. Which is not guaranteed.

All teams will have the same amount of practice so I don't think reduced formal practice time is a problem. Frankly, it will probably be good for them, except maybe for players brand new to the program. Less chance of injury, burnout, etc.

Last edited:
If only is was that simple to make big improvements in FT shooting.

Free throw shooting is
Muscle memory and mechanics
Focus and mental

If you can shoot them with your eyes closed at near the rate as when eyes are open,,it isn't mechanics or muscle memory.
If you can shoot them with distractions it's not mental or focus

If you can't shoot them at all, it's lack of proper learning of ALL of the above

Most of the time, when you're shooting free throws, you've just exerted energy, trying to score. I always made my teams run 2 suicides and then shoot free throws. If they hit 2 in a row, practice was over. If not, more suicides. Go LVs!

VN Store

Back