If anyone out there is struggling (N Carolina area)

1vol8

I climb trees ♏️ (@Justbeing_JB) Tweeted:
Make sure to spread the word.. Never know who might need it I climb trees ♏️ on Twitter

I know this is not football related so please forgive me but I thought some football forum fans may be thankful for info like this. We all have kids and no one knows who may be financial trouble due to the corona virus.

🌟🌟🌟Just learned this is certain locations in NC. I’m sure others will follow suit in time.

Last edited:
The most scary thing about all this is the sheer number of service workers and hourly employees without work, which will be followed by layoffs of thousands, maybe millions. There are going to be a lot of kids and families experience some desperate situations this summer. I don’t think we’ve seen anything like it before.

The most scary thing about all this is the sheer number of service workers and hourly employees without work, which will be followed by layoffs of thousands, maybe millions. There are going to be a lot of kids and families experience some desperate situations this summer. I don’t think we’ve seen anything like it before.
It could get worse but I have to disagree if only at this point. The recession of 07 was the worst I’ve ever seen. I know MANY people in the construction industry and watching them starve was no joke. Not that this couldn’t get worse but I’m not sure it’s at that level yet.

Reactions: savannahfan

I've heard the government mention that unemployment could spike at 20%. Hopefully that's a worse case scenario and we do much better than that.

China came out of it pretty quick but they also have stricter laws and consequences. And they could be cooking the books a little with the stats.

Italy, Iran and Spain are getting hammered right now and containment there is questionable for now.

Prayers and helping hands.

Our local pub had to close, so I gave all the staff an extra $20 each. Not a whole lot but something is better than nothing and it's tax season so I have other bills to pay. At least they know I'm thinking about them.

The owner told me that the beer in the tapped kegs is only good for about 3 weeks. The beer in the untapped kegs is good for an extra 3-4 more weeks. Those things cost about $100 each X 6!

Last edited:
Reactions: tbh and 1vol8
Service industry is getting leveled. airlines, hotels, restaurants, bars, taxis, stadium workers, athletic gear, movie theaters, expos, etc.

And that will trickle down to big ticket items like trucks, major appliances, vacations, etc.

At least food delivery drivers are making a little money.

The one weird thing is that this is the first crisis in a long time where fuel costs weren't front and center. That is the one thing that helps is $1.50 a gallon gas and uber cheap natural gas.

I climb trees ♏️ (@Justbeing_JB) Tweeted:
Make sure to spread the word.. Never know who might need it I climb trees ♏️ on Twitter

I know this is not football related so please forgive me but I thought some football forum fans may be thankful for info like this. We all have kids and no one knows who may be financial trouble due to the corona virus.

🌟🌟🌟Just learned this is certain locations in NC. I’m sure others will follow suit in time.

The only problem I have with this program and others like it. The prevailing call is to stay sheltered in place, don't gather in groups, etc. Going to "free meal deals" defeats these requests. Some Tennessee school systems are doing this. I know they are needed, but if they are gonna "gather" or just run by, had they not just as well go on to school?

Reactions: 1vol8
It could get worse but I have to disagree if only at this point. The recession of 07 was the worst I’ve ever seen. I know MANY people in the construction industry and watching them starve was no joke. Not that this couldn’t get worse but I’m not sure it’s at that level yet.
Oh, it will get there. Many in the construction labor force will not stop going to work until the can't go. Too late, done passed it around. Shutting down job site and many types of business, will be the only way to get a handle on that portion of the problem. ( I know of one company who has said job stays open until ONE case is found, then shoot down the job)

Service industry is getting leveled. airlines, hotels, restaurants, bars, taxis, stadium workers, athletic gear, movie theaters, expos, etc.

And that will trickle down to big ticket items like trucks, major appliances, vacations, etc.

At least food delivery drivers are making a little money.

The one weird thing is that this is the first crisis in a long time where fuel costs weren't front and center. That is the one thing that helps is $1.50 a gallon gas and uber cheap natural gas.
I saw a report on a Chattanooga TV station a couple of nights back that even truck stops may be closing. Then it will really get bad.

Has enyone besides me thought of this; what about the homeless in all the big cities? Has anyone thought they are susceptible? Are they being checked on? In my opinion, this could be a big source of spreading the virus, not bashing, just real concern that once again, they could be the forgotten ones of society.

I would like to simply encourage people to keep their faith that things will get better. Time often get tough but people are very (God knows I hate hearing or using this word) resilient. In the early 60's my dads company went on strike. There wasn't very many social programs in those days but we did receive government commodities. Has anyone besides me ever ate ww2 peanut butter or drank powdered milk or blackeyed peas twice a day? For three years that's about all we had but time passed and dad got a job. Point being is "this too will pass."

Last edited:
This is far worse. The unemployment rate in 2009 was about 10%. You didn’t have mass shutdowns of cities like we’re seeing now. I’ve never seen a situation where such a large segment of the population is being forbidden to work. And the hourly retail and service workers are the ones who can least afford to not work. There is no doubt that the impact will be felt later in layoffs of higher wage salaried workers as well. Times will be desperate for a lot of people. Hopefully everything bounces back quickly.
Personally, I’m expanding my garden this year to help people around me who don’t have the resources to do so. I hope others prepare to do what they can to help in their own ways and hopefully we won’t need to in the end.

Last edited:
Oh, it will get there. Many in the construction labor force will not stop going to work until the can't go. Too late, done passed it around. Shutting down job site and many types of business, will be the only way to get a handle on that portion of the problem. ( I know of one company who has said job stays open until ONE case is found, then shoot down the job)
Lord I hope you’re wrong

Reactions: Grudenhaslanded
China brings the world to its knees without firing a shot.

The world is getting a wake up call. And the world needs to have a quiet, quiet come to Geezus discussion with China. I get cultures and being a sovereign nation and all, but they let it get out of control and didn't speak up (cultural). We have history here, modern history, such as bird flu and SARS. They fumbled this one, will kill thousands and bring the world economy to its knees. Rattle sabers, wage a cyber war, or whatever, but the world needs them, and others, to be adults when it comes to this stuff.

Reactions: tbh and davethevol
I hate to tell you this but the construction industry is already getting hit badly. Practically all non-governmental projects in the development stages are being suspended as the clients activate suspension clauses. We have one client who had 5 projects where the contracts had been signed receive notice their clients were suspending the contracts under the "force majeure" clauses. Goldman Sachs said they expect the GDP to drop 24% this year. Labor Department is expecting jobless claims this next week to hit 1 million in a single week. One Treasury Department report scenario has 20 % unemployment by end of year. There are going to be a lot of people hurt very badly by this.

My wife is very active with a local food bank and their client numbers doubled this week.

The writer who said he is expanding his garden is doing a very good thing. My problem is that I can't even get decent grass to grow in my yard after my landscaper caused a fungus to develop after he put sod down incorrectly four years ago.

Yes. This is going to be worse than anything any of us have experienced, except those old enough to have lived through the depression.
Millions of people are going to be out of money soon, if they aren’t already. Thousands of small businesses won’t survive.

Reactions: savannahfan
Yes. This is going to be worse than anything any of us have experienced, except those old enough to have lived through the depression.
Millions of people are going to be out of money soon, if they aren’t already. Thousands of small businesses won’t survive.

Well I was not here for the great depression, but I was here as a very small kid, for WWII. I can remember it "being a dark time".(did not realize it at the time, only later, as life as we now know it now came about) We Americans, have for the most have part had it pretty easy. This is the first time we VOL NATION followers have had anything to trump our beloved Vol sports. (other than personal tragedies) Lets hang together. Maybe the site could start a ongoing thread just for co-19 information we can pass on of value and interest to each other for the dark time we must endure. Stories from our past could be of interest to each other as we deal with this sports down time.

Reactions: Illinoisvolfan2
I saw a report on a Chattanooga TV station a couple of nights back that even truck stops may be closing. Then it will really get bad.

??? No trucks, no TP, no meds, no food delivered.

I imagine one easily accessible gal at truck stop could spread that virus like no other.

VN Store

Back