If any of you would like a good laugh

Actually, those are Massey's initial season rankings that haven't been updated yet. Massey uses an algorithm that requires input, i.e. games played, to make a significant change. I would expect that the rankings next week may show some movement. But, Lady Vol fans should prepare themselves for the distinct possibility that Notre Dame will still be ranked higher by Massey than Tennessee is.

In fact, while I fully expect that the Lady Vols will be ranked in the polls, I don't expect that Notre Dame will fall below the Lady Vols . Just my opinion on the polls.

Jim

Massey uses historical matchup data to predict games and create preseason rankings, and do not use bits like new recruits/injuries and coaching changes in determining those predictions (unlike the AP Poll). Notre Dame will drop on Massey tomorrow and we will rise, but the question in either case is by how much. And for me, I'm looking at our defensive rating on Massey to see how much we improve (currently 108th).

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Actually, those are Massey's initial season rankings that haven't been updated yet. Massey uses an algorithm that requires input, i.e. games played, to make a significant change. I would expect that the rankings next week may show some movement. But, Lady Vol fans should prepare themselves for the distinct possibility that Notre Dame will still be ranked higher by Massey than Tennessee is.

In fact, while I fully expect that the Lady Vols will be ranked in the polls, I don't expect that Notre Dame will fall below the Lady Vols . Just my opinion on the polls.

Jim
Then you don't know what you are talking about. Sometimes the people who vote in the polls do take the time to watch the games played by ranked teams and/or pay attention to the outcomes.

Massey uses historical matchup data to predict games and create preseason rankings, and do not use bits like new recruits/injuries and coaching changes in determining those predictions (unlike the AP Poll). Notre Dame will drop on Massey tomorrow and we will rise, but the question in either case is by how much. And for me, I'm looking at our defensive rating on Massey to see how much we improve (currently 108th).
In other words, it's pretty useless.

Then you don't know what you are talking about. Sometimes the people who vote in the polls do take the time to watch the games played by ranked teams and/or pay attention to the outcomes.

I take it from your comment that you think I am wrong with regard to the particular comment you bolded. I can only say that my expectation is based on observation of the polls over a number of years. If the Lady Vols were ranked three to five spots below Notre Dame at the present time then I could see the voters swapping the two teams in their rankings. It has happened before, especially early in the season. However, the Lady Vols are 15 to 17 places behind Notre Dame in this weeks polls. That big a jump is practically unheard of in the polls, but who knows, stranger things have happened. Maybe before either of us categorically states that the other doesn't know what he/she is talking about, we should wait and see what next weeks polls list.

In other words, it's pretty useless.

I wouldn't call Massey useless. But, of course, you're entitled to your opinion, no matter how misinformed. If you have followed Massey for any period of time, you would note that his site is generally pretty accurate with his predictions of wins and losses and margin of score. It is true that the early season predictions are based on data from the previous year and it takes several games for the algorithm to catch up to current team composition, playing style, coaching changes, etc. In this regard, yes, I would take the early season rankings with a grain of salt, but, as the season progresses, his rankings are probably more accurate than the vote of coaches and sportswriters. Just my opinion, of course. Hopefully stated without being particularly snide.

Jim

Thought you were joking until looking it up to see that you speak Truth!

ND drops four spots to #6.

Kellie's former team jumps twenty-three spots to #26. Speaks well for Kellie's staff's player development. Congrats to MOSt and Coach Mox.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Reactions: GameTime
This rating system is like little David slaying Goliath, and getting a "no big deal" from the judges....

Useless....

Massey is notoriously unreliable this early in the season because it uses last year's final rankings as a starting point. I'm not sure at what point that ceases to be the case, but Massey isn't even worth looking at for the first month or so.

VN Store

Back