I Think We Get Left OUT of Playoffs- Regardless

I know this, Tiger Droppings is hilarious.

Us beating them by 27 in Baton Rouge doesn't matter because it was at 11am and they weren't drunk enough.

Them losing to Florida State doesn't matter because it's week 1 and week one games don't count.

Us losing by two TDs in Athens means Oh mY GoD, TeNNeSsE iS tERriBLe.

Yeah, they only beat Arkansas by 3 going against a third string QB but they're the hottest team in CFB and are going to give Bulldogs a great game.

The mental gymnastics being played over there is great, even compared to here, which is saying something.

Committee really values conference championships?

How many times has the SEC gotten two teams in?

Edit: I looked it up….twice out of 8 years (25%)
The committee potentially overvalues conference championships at the P5 level. They’ve left out a 1-loss champ only once, OSU in 2018 when Bama, ND and Clemson went 12-0 and OU was 12-1 with a 3pt loss to TX. OSU lost by 29 to Purdue so OU’s resume got them the nod.

Last edited:
The committee potentially overvalues conference championships at the P5 level. They’ve left out a 1-loss champ only once, OSU in 2018 when Bama, ND and Clemson went 12-0 and OU was 12-1 with a 3pt loss to TX. OSU lost by 29 to Purdue to OU’s resume got them the nod.

Then if LSU defeats UGA in the SEC Championship game - UGA should be out as well - and no SEC team in the playoffs.

The Michigan and Kentucky ADs are on the CFP committee, doh! Members will need to recuse themselves when their team is discussed, but doesn’t seem ideal for us.

065BDB07-0679-4610-A906-F62D829D35DD.jpeg

E2A421A6-4F6C-4735-A390-959324B3D3F0.jpeg

No they don’t. It’s just another data point so if you have equal resumes then yes the conference champ gets in but if we are 11-1 and have a better resume then 12-1 say, TCU, then we’re getting in.
They do add value for the championship games. Their actions since the playoffs started suggest they do.

The hard part of not controlling your own destiny is placing resume before judges. Anyone who says they know for certainty how will play out in mid November they just can't say that. We have no idea once all the resumes and pressure of inclusion are on the comparison table. We have no idea for the final spot or 2. We almost are unanimous that 2 spots go to Big 10 champ and Georgia. If TCU wins out they likely take 3rd. So spot 4 will be enormous pressure for upwards of 2,3,4 maybe even 5 teams.

If both TCU and Southern Cal win out then you'd have the Big 12 people on the committee advocating for TCU, the Pac 12 people advocating for Southern Cal, and the Big Ten and ACC people advocating against a 2nd SEC team. In other words, the main things standing in the way of the playoffs are South Carolina, Vandy, and backroom politicking. Two of these things are in Tennessee's control, the other is out of their hands, and even still, I think the probability of both TCU and Southern Cal running the table is low.

If you look back at the last 8 years, the situation we are talking about hasn't presented itself very often if at any time. More than likely the 1 loss team incurred that loss in the championship game and then falls below the others. So if a team like TCU remains undefeated but loses the championship game - history says they could be out due to that loss since it would not be to a highly ranked team. UGA was able to survive last year because they lost to an undefeated Bama team ranked in the top 4.

The championship games are wildcards - the games can work both ways - give a team a boost or be what pushes a team out of the top 4.

I view them more as an opportunity for a team on the bubble (if you will) to make a last moment statement. That statement can go either way.

If both TCU and Southern Cal win out then you'd have the Big 12 people on the committee advocating for TCU, the Pac 12 people advocating for Southern Cal, and the Big Ten and ACC people advocating against a 2nd SEC team. In other words, the main things standing in the way of the playoffs are South Carolina, Vandy, and backroom politicking. Two of these things are in Tennessee's control, the other is out of their hands, and even still, I think the probability of both TCU and Southern Cal running the table is low.

Big 10 and ACC are going to advocate for the winners of their conference.

Big 10 and ACC are going to advocate for the winners of their conference.

Of course they would, but I was operating under the premise that the SEC and Big Ten are locked in for one team each and that the ACC is locked out. In that case neither one would want a 2nd SEC team and would probably go along with TCU and Southern Cal for the last two slots just to squeeze out the SEC.

People don’t realize that tv viewership matters more than anything else. Lol we are in as long as we win out

Reactions: CBR07
I'm not a troll for keeping our expectations realistic. Speaking of the day after we beat Bama, over half of Volnation chimed right around the same time. Do you really think half of the audience was here prior to beating Bama- you're mistaken.
You goofball.

You know we can see the join date of every single person who posts, right?

So it's very obvious that, no, most of us did not "chime in" the day after we beat Bama, like you did. Most of us were already here.

The Michigan and Kentucky ADs are on the CFP committee, doh! Members will need to recuse themselves when their team is discussed, but doesn’t seem ideal for us.

View attachment 514081

View attachment 514082
Don't the playoff teams from the SEC share their earnings from that appearance with the entire league? If so, one would think ol' Mitch would throw his support behind the big orange. More money in UK pockets. One thing AD's love more than anything else is money.

Reactions: Volprofch05
Let's see..... we are #2 in points per game and #1 in total offense per game and and our SOS looks like this....

Rank Team Rating

1Alabama (8-2)15.41311
2Tennessee (9-1)14.62
3Texas (6-4)12.7
4Georgia (10-0)12.3
5LSU (8-2)12.04
6Kansas St (7-3)11.16
7Penn State (8-2)10.35
8Ohio State (10-0)9.84
9Miss State (6-4)9.64
10TX Christian (10-0)9.51

Yeah, I think we have a case..... especially since our only loss is to #1 Georgia.. Our SOS will go down with SC and Van, but if our offensive output gets better could be a wash. Just don't want any weather games the next couple of weeks.
This is a solid assessment. Thanks.

Our SOS will go down playing Vandy. Ohio State's SOS will go up playing Michigan. Our USCe game and their Maryland game..... probably a wash for SOS +/-.

We need Ohio State to beat the crap out of Michigan because if Michigan and Ohio State play a nail biter that Michigan wins...... it's our SOS vs Ohio State's SOS and it'll be close. Ohio State will get lots of "benefit of the doubt" like Alabama does from the committee.

Too close for comfort, IMO.

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
USC has UCLA Notre Dame and Oregon left. All quality wins if they win out. Pac 12 champ with 1 loss. I think they’d be in over Vols unfortunately.

Somebody on that committee is going to get their ass dog cussed big time by Tv executives if the top offensive team in the USA, with a 11–1 record in the toughest conference in the country & the 2 biggest rated reg season TV games in the country gets left out

If you look back at the last 8 years, the situation we are talking about hasn't presented itself very often if at any time. More than likely the 1 loss team incurred that loss in the championship game and then falls below the others. So if a team like TCU remains undefeated but loses the championship game - history says they could be out due to that loss since it would not be to a highly ranked team. UGA was able to survive last year because they lost to an undefeated Bama team ranked in the top 4.

The championship games are wildcards - the games can work both ways - give a team a boost or be what pushes a team out of the top 4.

I view them more as an opportunity for a team on the bubble (if you will) to make a last moment statement. That statement can go either way.
As you said: "UGA was able to survive because they lost to an undefeated Bama ranked in the top 4."

Edit: Bama had 1 loss when GA lost to them. They weren't undefeated but MI and tOSU are.

Michigan or Ohio State...... either one..... will have EXACTLY the same situation; they will have lost to an undefeated top 4 team.

By last year's logic with GA, a one loss B1G team should get in under the same circumstances, right?

Last edited:
As you said: "UGA was able to survive because they lost to an undefeated Bama ranked in the top 4."

Michigan or Ohio State...... either one..... will have EXACTLY the same situation; they will have lost to an undefeated top 4 team.

By last year's logic with GA, a one loss B1G team should get in under the same circumstances, right?

But our only loss is to the #1 team

VN Store

Back