I swear

I'm sure its not just here w Tennessee fans and probably occurs everywhere but its like IF

IF Bill Belichick was hired , fans would be like, DONT WANT, TOO OLD!
Or Lost 38-9 to Buffalo and by 14 to Miami! NO THANKS
LOL
It would be nice to know what the reaction would be if they actually hired a coach with some accomplishments to be proud of, but the last time that happened was Johnny Majors with a Natty at Pitt. Most weren’t alive when that happened

Yes, starting with Hamilton through Hart and Currie the admins stupidly reacted to the loud fans, fired guys, or hired classless guts that dumped us, and then went shopping in the available pool to get rebuffed by higher level candidates and end up settling for the Dooleys and Jones. It appears that our current leadership is not willing to do that and the loud fans just get louder demanding that we FAHR Puritt and execute to the same gameplan. This thead alone is a testament to their perseverance to require action to meet their demands, worked with previous leadership.... OH WELL..
Well Fulmer has done dandy. 3-9 after 3

Fans loudly wanted Kiffin, Dooley, Jones, and Pruitt? I don't think so. I've been around long enough to know that's not what the fans wanted in any of those situations.
Agree except Kiffin. I was excited about the hire coupled with the staff he was bringing in.

It would be nice to know what the reaction would be if they actually hired a coach with some accomplishments to be proud of, but the last time that happened was Johnny Majors with a Natty at Pitt. Most weren’t alive when that happened

I couldn't co-sign this more! We have failed to hire a coach that has a winning pedigree as a head man where we can easily point to him being the architect of that success. Butch had won two conference titles, but he did it with Brian Kelly's leftovers.

For reference, Jamey Chadwell would be the most proven head coach from a pure past productivity standpoint that we had hired since Majors as he has three conference titles from his prior two stops, and with teams that overachieved.

Reactions: GVol1966
Agree except Kiffin. I was excited about the hire coupled with the staff he was bringing in.

The staff was what really sold Kiffin to many people, and honestly I liked his brash personality - which I know turned some off early.

I'm sure its not just here w Tennessee fans and probably occurs everywhere but its like IF

LOL
I don't want Pete Carroll because he's 70 years old.

Reactions: Myrtleturtle
Op how do you figure? Because we hired Pruitt and people didn’t want him (and proved to be 100% correct in expressing our pessimism) that somehow we wouldn’t accept billichek? Ya sure...because billichek and Pruitt have basically accomplished the same thing professionally right? lol. Our Dan base wants the administration to pony up some damn money amd hire a winner. There are a lot of coaches that would be an upgrade. The reason you one see the same few names and were all kinda like it’s them or bust is because there are only a few legitimate candidates that we could possibly land. But we all know who the fan base wants. It’s Hugh freeze.

Reactions: Godfatha
Well Fulmer has done dandy. 3-9 after 3

Sorry I do not understand the 3-9 reference. But do you still support firing Pruitt NOW, and trying to hire his replacement before we know the extent of any NCAA investigation? I am not sure I want to hire a guy who would take the job under those circumstances. It would be a terrible leverage point for UT in contract negotiations. We need this resolved before we make any longterm moves.

Fans loudly wanted Kiffin, Dooley, Jones, and Pruitt? I don't think so. I've been around long enough to know that's not what the fans wanted in any of those situations.

NOPE.... the fans wanted CPF, Dooley and Jones out at the other end of the cycle. Then we ended up with Kiffin, Dooley, Jones and Pruitt. Kiffin forced us into the market but we got the same type results by not having a Solution lined up.

So which coach was fired because "admins stupidly reacted to the loud fans", but should have been retained? Dooley? Butch?

Each one that fired a coach without a better solution plan in place and just wildly entered the search market did so stupidly. CPF to Kiffin = bad, Kiffin provided us with Dooley, Dooley to Butch = bad, Firing Butch and forcing CPF into a job search not of his own choosing brought us Pruitt out of a very poor pool of candidates= bad result. Bet CPF is laying hypotheticals to agents and friends out there hoping for some winks back to put on the table for the power team to kick around. It is possible that another year of Pruitt or an interim is the best plan out there right now. Those who do not accept that as a possibility have logic issues. Our ability to prevent a Kiffin redo is impacted by our candidates contractual advantage right now, and other candidates could easily be our next Butch or Dooley. No Pruitts on the hot lists right now unless Steele is now considered a player. The indecision created by the open investigation talk needs to be run to ground before we vacate the position.

Reactions: VolNExile
Each one that fired a coach without a better solution plan in place and just wildly entered the search market did so stupidly. CPF to Kiffin = bad, Kiffin provided us with Dooley, Dooley to Butch = bad, Firing Butch and forcing CPF into a job search not of his own choosing brought us Pruitt out of a very poor pool of candidates= bad result. Bet CPF is laying hypotheticals to agents and friends out there hoping for some winks back to put on the table for the power team to kick around. It is possible that another year of Pruitt or an interim is the best plan out there right now. Those who do not accept that as a possibility have logic issues. Our ability to prevent a Kiffin redo is impacted by our candidates contractual advantage right now, and other candidates could easily be our next Butch or Dooley. No Pruitts on the hot lists right now unless Steele is now considered a player. The indecision created by the open investigation talk needs to be run to ground before we vacate the position.

So Dooley and Butch were both fired because "admins stupidly reacted to the loud fans", and not because their performances as the Head Coach?

My momma taught me not to swear. I do however agree with your position OP, people on this sight would not be happy if TN won 6 Natty's in a 12 year span.
I think that theory needs to be tested!!

Sorry I do not understand the 3-9 reference. But do you still support firing Pruitt NOW, and trying to hire his replacement before we know the extent of any NCAA investigation? I am not sure I want to hire a guy who would take the job under those circumstances. It would be a terrible leverage point for UT in contract negotiations. We need this resolved before we make any longterm moves.
Typo. My mistake. 3-7. Crappy record. Crappy development. Crappy situation. There is a risk of course, but there are solid, energetic coaches out there who would most surely jump at the opportunity but then again there is that constant elephant looming large that would probably cause hesitation and I’m not speaking of NCAA etc

Love how the point of this post was never discussed, Vols could hire Saban tomorrow and someone would bitch about he is too old.
Yep, It would be year 2 and still can't beat UGA. He never lost to former assistants until he came here! He's retired, just letting assistants run the show. Washed up!

NOPE.... the fans wanted CPF, Dooley and Jones out at the other end of the cycle. Then we ended up with Kiffin, Dooley, Jones and Pruitt. Kiffin forced us into the market but we got the same type results by not having a Solution lined up.
Dooley, Jones, and Pruitt were terrible hires. We've done no different then bama did. The only difference is they finally decided to swing for the for the fence to get their guy. It worked for them. We just keep hiring sh!t.

Dooley, Jones, and Pruitt were terrible hires. We've done no different then bama did. The only difference is they finally decided to swing for the for the fence to get their guy. It worked for them. We just keep hiring sh!t.

I agree, we don't want any more of that level hire and that is all that is on the board right now. High Risk. And try negotiating a contract with the investigation still open in regards to years, buyouts, and not being able to discuss staff salaries without knowing how the buyouts will impact that pool of money. We can never know how other candidates each cycle would have worked out, I don't remember any homerun hires we passed on going elsewhere. The best plan may be to wait for better candidates to enter the pool before we shoot the current guy. CPF is not hiding in his office without communications with the rest of the power team. Financially next year has to be better than this year with reduced buyouts and some real revenue coming in and enticing the checkbook guys to pony up in that environment. We cannot require them to reduce their bar on honesty and integrity and that involves two of the candidates often referred to in these discussions. .

Reactions: VolNExile

LOL
Depends, does he come with or without Brady?

VN Store

Back