I Surrender

99gator

Congressman
I want to say at the outset that this is not a complaint about fairness. this isn't about winning or losing. This isn't about thinking that my school is now at an advantage or disadvantage.

I foresee a future where sometimes they're on top and sometimes they're not. And I'm ok with that. That's the way it's always been.

But, this NIL stuff. I surrender. The joy I had watching college football.....and I will still watch.....and I will still cheer......I'm not going to be one of those people who says they're through and you know damn well they're still watching. I'll be watching.

But, it's never going to be the same. And it sucks. It truly does.

It will not bring me the same level of joy it once did.

But, as you follow recruiting and the portal, it is utter madness. And one can say it's always been the case with recruits and money, but that's hogwash. It's never been close to this.

You've got portal numbers of anywhere from 10-20 players and recruiting classes of 20-25. Half the roster will be at the school for a year. You can't even get excited about recruiting because no one knows if the player is willing to wait two years to see the field.

It will never, ever be the same. Everyone will adapt because that's what you have to do to survive.

But, this isn't good.

I'm glad to see UT at the front of the line for once to start with....At the same it has take something away from the game.I still enjoy everything but it will take some adapting to just like any change in life.Give it a couple years and they'll put the reigns on it just this is unprecedented territory at the moment I'm glad as a mofo UT is leading the charge though,I'm just tired of losing.I wouldn't say we lead the charge we just figured out how to play the game better 😉

News flash: this stuff was already happening, it’s just legal now.

If you didn’t care before, don’t pretend to care now.

This was not happening before NIL. Imagine if every player in the NFL were on a 1 year contract. That's what we have right now.

I don't know how anyone can argue that this was "already happening". This is not the same as what existed before.

This was not happening before NIL. Imagine if every player in the NFL were on a 1 year contract. That's what we have right now.

I don't know how anyone can argue that this was "already happening". This is not the same as what existed before.

Yeah, all those players were driving nice new cars and getting expensive items with the part time job they worked after classes and practice

Last edited:
The bagman's always existed. An open market bidding war for free agents on one year contracts had not previously existed.

Sorry.

Oh, it’s always existed, it was just hidden behind fake LLC’s and Mom and Dad’s name.

You can argue if players SHOULD be getting paid at all, but you can’t be mad about NIL just because what’s been happening since the first game college football game is legal now.

Sorry.

Reactions: HalfullVol

They say its always been like this to mask its ridiculousness. It's an out of control fire which cannot be extinguished and so will burn until there is nothing left to burn. All we can do is watch it burn.

Oh, it’s always existed, it was just hidden behind fake LLC’s and Mom and Dad’s name.

You can argue if players SHOULD be getting paid at all, but you can’t be mad about NIL just because what’s been happening since the first game college football game is legal now.

Sorry.

The Biletnikoff winner was never a free agent on the open market going to the highest bidder. That's never happened.

That player may have been given a bag by who signed him, been given a bag by boosters taking care of him while in school, and was receiving a bag from a future sports agent.

But, that player being on the open market. Never

I want to say at the outset that this is not a complaint about fairness. this isn't about winning or losing. This isn't about thinking that my school is now at an advantage or disadvantage.

I foresee a future where sometimes they're on top and sometimes they're not. And I'm ok with that. That's the way it's always been.

But, this NIL stuff. I surrender. The joy I had watching college football.....and I will still watch.....and I will still cheer......I'm not going to be one of those people who says they're through and you know damn well they're still watching. I'll be watching.

But, it's never going to be the same. And it sucks. It truly does.

It will not bring me the same level of joy it once did.

But, as you follow recruiting and the portal, it is utter madness. And one can say it's always been the case with recruits and money, but that's hogwash. It's never been close to this.

You've got portal numbers of anywhere from 10-20 players and recruiting classes of 20-25. Half the roster will be at the school for a year. You can't even get excited about recruiting because no one knows if the player is willing to wait two years to see the field.

It will never, ever be the same. Everyone will adapt because that's what you have to do to survive.

But, this isn't good.

I fully expect that I will be enjoying college sports every bit as much as I did before NIL

They say its always been like this to mask its ridiculousness. It's an out of control fire which cannot be extinguished and so will burn until there is nothing left to burn. All we can do is watch it burn.

I agree it’s ridiculous. NIL is ridiculous, sketchy McDonalds bags full of money is ridiculous, paying coaches millions of dollars is ridiculous, not allowing players to transfer when coaches leave in the middle of the night is/was ridiculous.

The point is, it’s already been happening, you can’t just fake ignorance and pretend they’re playing because they love UT so much.

The Biletnikoff winner was never a free agent on the open market going to the highest bidder. That's never happened.

That player may have been given a bag by who signed him, been given a bag by boosters taking care of him while in school, and was receiving a bag from a future sports agent.

But, that player being on the open market. Never

So your issue is really that players are allowed to market themselves, not that they’re getting paid

So your issue is really that players are allowed to market themselves, not that they’re getting paid

More or less. But, they can market themselves all the live long day wherever they happen to be.

I would be in favor of a system where someone accepts a 3 year contract from the University of Tennessee with whatever benefits that comes with and that player can't just jump ship in 5 seconds. That's just an example.

I haven't worked out all the details, but there's a reason the professional leagues don't have the entire labor market hit free agency all at once.

More or less. But, they can market themselves all the live long day wherever they happen to be.

I would be in favor of a system where someone accepts a 3 year contract from the University of Tennessee with whatever benefits that comes with and that player can't just jump ship in 5 seconds. That's just an example.

I haven't worked out all the details, but there's a reason the professional leagues don't have the entire labor market hit free agency all at once.

Now that’s something I can agree with.

VN Store

Back