I still don't understand why we don't press. . .

Mattlock

Yes, I know this team is slower than last year and doesn't show near as much effort, but its clear to me that we aren't capable of beating any decent team when we are forced to play half court offense and half court defense. We are (allegedly :) ) a deep team, so why not press the whole game. Even if we don't force turnovers, at least we will be forcing teams with less depth to run the whole 40 mins. What's the worst than can happen? Getting beating by 20? :)

this doesn't answer your question, but my favorite response that was said by an announcer this year was that "last years team seemed like they hated getting scored on. Guys like Jawan Smith, Chris Lofton, and Duke Cruz took it personally when teams scored on them, and this team this year just doesn't have that type of attitude".

I agree. I have never been a fan of changing what you do great, to match-up with other teams. If you change what you do, you're already on your way to playing the other team's game.

This team isn't built to press. When they do it doesn't work, so it serves no purpose other than to tire the players out.

This team isn't built to press. When they do it doesn't work, so it serves no purpose other than to tire the players out.

When they tried it this year it usually ended up in an easy bucket.

Understand your point, but my question is what exactly is this team built to do? Win games on the defensive end? Win games by rebounding/second chance points? Win games with their offensive execution? Win games from the free throw line? I really don't have any clue what this team's MO is. . . other than to "put on for Tennessee"

Understand your point, but my question is what exactly is this team built to do? Win games on the defensive end? Win games by rebounding/second chance points? Win games with their offensive execution? Win games from the free throw line? I really don't have any clue what this team's MO is. . . other than to "put on for Tennessee"

Good question. I think Pearl is finally having one of those "transition" years we expected when he first took over. He's not sure what to do with this mix of players, either. The fact they have no heart certainly doesn't help, either.

Have you seen what happens when we press? It looks twice as bad as our halfcourt defense.

Basically every team has murdered us for easy dunks/layups when we've tried to press and we've rarely pressed - save Vandy.

The team is pretty much built to lose.

Have you seen what happens when we press? It looks twice as bad as our halfcourt defense.

Basically every team has murdered us for easy dunks/layups when we've tried to press and we've rarely pressed - save Vandy.

Of course it looks horrible when we half commit to it for 2 or 3 possessions a game. . .not saying it would work, but could it really be much worse

Of course it looks horrible when we half commit to it for 2 or 3 possessions a game. . .not saying it would work, but could it really be much worse

Yes it really would be much worse - and we're not 'half committing' to it. That's Bruce's style of press - much different than Louisville's or Memphis'... the point is to steal the in bounds pass or the pass right after the in bounds. If they can't - then they back off.

But - if you mean 'half committing' effort wise - then it won't make a difference because we've been 'half committing' to the whole game of basketball and every aspect all year period.

I am getting redundant with this statement, but if we had good guard play things would be much different. This team is one "real good" point guard away from contending for a final four. If we had a CJ Watson, we would be 22-4 right now. I am not sure how good Daniel West is, but if he is as good as advertised, it won't matter if Wayne and Tyler go pro. We are better when we have only one or two "go-to" guys rather than 7 who think they are the man. I think this offseason will show us a couple of things. One being Negedu will be one of our best players in the coming years.

this team is built to be tall and rebound...whoops, we missed that. they are built to get it to post and score in half court...whoops, let's shoot another three. they should be built to take to the hole and get fouled...whoops, we can't make a free throw. it's just not our year this year - we'll be more experienced and comfortable with each other next year

Watching the oklahoma vs. texas game last night I noticed how oklahomas press was monstrous when they were trying to make a late comeback in the game. They have the guards to press unlike ours, our players are too pretty and clean to go balls out and do anything to win. Our press worked great Pearls first year when we had cj watson, lofton, smith, and bradshaw four guys going to kill themselves to help the team win. I do not see a guy on this team that would do anything to win.

This team gives up easy shots when they press. If they're not running right by them, they're taking a wide open shot. With this personnel they should be more of a half court team. They're too slow to press and their half court is a joke.

Yes it really would be much worse - and we're not 'half committing' to it. That's Bruce's style of press - much different than Louisville's or Memphis'... the point is to steal the in bounds pass or the pass right after the in bounds. If they can't - then they back off.

But - if you mean 'half committing' effort wise - then it won't make a difference because we've been 'half committing' to the whole game of basketball and every aspect all year period.

Understand how his press works, deny the ball, trap the first pass and then backoff. Half committ means you try it once or twice a game and even then half of your players didn't seem to get the memo and leave two or three people wide open.

Understand how his press works, deny the ball, trap the first pass and then backoff. Half committ means you try it once or twice a game and even then half of your players didn't seem to get the memo and leave two or three people wide open.

Yes - I also covered that in my second paragraph. What makes you think that if they are lazy and horrible in the half court offensively and defensively that they'll be able to run an effective press?

If they can't pick up wide open shooters on the three point line then how are they going to chase down and stay with people trying to get open on an in bounds play? I wouldn't matter how many times they run it - they won't be good at the press.

Yes - I also covered that in my second paragraph. What makes you think that if they are lazy and horrible in the half court offensively and defensively that they'll be able to run an effective press?

If they can't pick up wide open shooters on the three point line then how are they going to chase down and stay with people trying to get open on an in bounds play? I wouldn't matter how many times they run it - they won't be good at the press.

I don't think we see this team much differently. . .I agree with most of your points. . .but they do guard the inbounds pass pretty well on set inbounds plays, its probably the best thing they do. And to me, when you speed up the game, you create more opportunities for the other team to make mistakes themselves. . .but anyway, this dead horse is officially walloped. . .:)

Bottom line, this group of players get smoked in the press and it's not like they really score enough to set it up in the first place as of late.

We saw plenty of the press in the early season. . . .and plenty of uncontested dunks on the opposite end.

We're not as quick as we were last year. Pressing should only be used when it's a must.

Part of successfully pressing is anticipation. We don't anticipate things very well, but rather are constantly having to rely on trying to react in time.

VN Store

Back