I still don't understand all the animosity toward Butch Jones

Go ahead and shoot me, but I just don't get it.
Yes, Butch was in over his head. Yes, his in-game decisions were often bad. And yes, his decisions lost us a few big games.
But ... But ... But he also got us back into the spotlight. We were ranked in the Top 10 and beat Georgia and Florida in 2016. Then 2017 happened and people forgot all that came before. I was glad to see Butch go, but I have no animosity toward the guy. He was just a transition guy. So why does everyone seem to despise him so much?

Yes, Butch was in over his head. Yes, his in-game decisions were often bad. And yes, his decisions lost us a few big games.
But ... But ... But he also got us back into the spotlight. We were ranked in the Top 10 and beat Georgia and Florida in 2016. Then 2017 happened and people forgot all that came before. I was glad to see Butch go, but I have no animosity toward the guy. He was just a transition guy. So why does everyone seem to despise him so much?
The man basically told Trevor Lawrence “thanks but no thanks”. That’s enough for me to have animosity towards him🤷🏻‍♂️

Not retaining Chaney and Pittman when they wanted to stay.
Squandering the 2016 season with bad coaching decisions.
Being willfully incapable of seeing Alvin Kamara's talent.
Telling Trevor Lawrence to go kick rocks.
Don Mahoney as an oline coach.
"Champions of life"

That's just off the top of my head, give me a few minutes and I'm sure the rest of that debacle will come back after I unblock it from my memory.

- Refused to step away from his “offensive system”
- Not retaining Sam Pittman
- Recruited undersized lineman
- Told Trevor Lawrence to look elsewhere
- QB keep with Justin Worley.....
- Conservative play caller
- Blew a 17 point lead against OU in 2015
- Run up the middle twice, swing pass on 3rd down
- 0-8 Conference Play in school history

The problem with the 2016 argument is that Butch had a LOADED squad that year. Anyone would have gotten in the Top 10 with that team (and wouldn’t have needed a Hail Mary against 8-5 UGA to do it).

That team should have won a minimum of 10 games, and strutted into the SEC Champ game.

....... but those pesky Commodores led by Derek Mason got in the way.

Pass me the popcorn. Yes, you make some valid points, however, it's not how you start...its how you finish.....and 0-8 is horrible beyond words at UT.

Where did u get that?
You obviously don't pay attention to UT recruiting. Trevor Lawrence grew up a huge UT fan. Major Peyton follower. Butch Jones did not think he would fit his system, so he did not even try to recruit him until well after he had committed to Clemson and he lost two QBs from the 2018 class.

Getting caught on a hot mic cursing the fans in Neyland didn't help.

Having so much attrition of good players didn't help.

Smoking a stogie in Neyland 11mos after decimating the prog didn't help.

Squatting at our #1 rival while eating an entire buyout didnt help.

Ending his tenure with a decimated roster didnt help.

... just off top of my head.

FAHR BUTCH!

Reactions: livefaith
Because he’s a self absorbed dick who was paid a ton of $ and then produced the worst season in the program’s history. Even worse was a couple hundred families entrusted him to lead and develop their sons to their full potential and by all accounts By past players he was a abject failure at that also

2016 turned out as well as it did in spite of the moronic head coach, thanks primarily to Dobbs. His offensive approach of handing off to Hurd 5-6 yards behind the undersized OL - including from the 1 yard line - and Hurd desperately fighting to get back to the line of scrimmage while taking a beating - and NEVER changing the approach - is indicative of coaching stupidity, complete inability to react and adjust, infantile stubbornness, a small mind. The wasting of talent is by far the worst of my 50+ years of watching UT football. Cap it off, as others have pointed out, by camping on Bama's staff as an intern while he rides the buyout gravy train - instead of acting like a man and getting a real job and attempting to rebuild his sorry career - it's impossible not to hold him in the contempt he deserves. Yeah, I can't stand the guy.

- Refused to step away from his “offensive system”
- Not retaining Sam Pittman
- Recruited undersized lineman
- Told Trevor Lawrence to look elsewhere
- QB keep with Justin Worley.....
- Conservative play caller
- Blew a 17 point lead against OU in 2015
- Run up the middle twice, swing pass on 3rd down
- 0-8 Conference Play in school history
You can expand 3 to not recruiting lineman at all.

You all made some very good points, but I still don't hate Butch. He at least came and tried when no other better coach would touch us. I do resent the administration at the time. Our Bama AD didn't really try too hard to find a good coach.

VN Store

Back