I still don't understand all the animosity toward Butch Jones

Go ahead and shoot me, but I just don't get it.
Yes, Butch was in over his head. Yes, his in-game decisions were often bad. And yes, his decisions lost us a few big games.
But ... But ... But he also got us back into the spotlight. We were ranked in the Top 10 and beat Georgia and Florida in 2016. Then 2017 happened and people forgot all that came before. I was glad to see Butch go, but I have no animosity toward the guy. He was just a transition guy. So why does everyone seem to despise him so much?
Okeh

Yes, Butch was in over his head. Yes, his in-game decisions were often bad. And yes, his decisions lost us a few big games.
But ... But ... But he also got us back into the spotlight. We were ranked in the Top 10 and beat Georgia and Florida in 2016. Then 2017 happened and people forgot all that came before. I was glad to see Butch go, but I have no animosity toward the guy. He was just a transition guy. So why does everyone seem to despise him so much?
Can i just say... no.

Butch Jones inherited a yacht and ran it ashore. The pieces were there for amazing classes, but he just couldn't maintain his facade well enough to get the big dogs to buy in. The legacy recruits alone wouldve been enough for a mediocre coach to look good. Instead, Butch look only mediocre; head scratching in-game decisions, shady recruiting tactics to inflate rankings (presumably). I believe Butch actually wanted to run off the filler so that he could continue to hunt for his diamonds in the rough (Kamara, brown, watt, barnett, etc), Thus he created a general toxic environment that ran off key players (Hurd, Wolfe, maybe more). He had no business being a HC at a major SEC school and he knew it. Hes a glorified RB, ST or lower ranking coach in terms of game strategy and knowledge. In terms of recruiting prowess, hes maybe an Al Golden type. Ive said it before, his ceiling is a place like Toledo, Miami, OH, Kent St, Coastal C, W. Or E. Or C. Michigan. He might even be desperate enough for New Mexico or NMST. Sad thing is, some school will be desperate enough to take him, even if he isnt deserving (see...uh....Tennessee and Derek Dooley).

We recruited him! He didnt like UT on his visits.. u know, the visits the coaches that recruited him set up to try to persuade him to come here to play.. why's this hard to understand? We wanted Higgins bad too.. he was committed, but liked clemson more.. amari is the one that we didnt recruit as hard, because he was thought to be a lock by the staff because of who is dad is.
Ok as I admitted earlier in the thread, I was wrong on the not recruiting him thing, however that don’t change the fact that Butch still dropped the ball on not one but 3 huge names that we could have and honestly should have gotten. Why is that so hard to understand? Butch could have had all 3 of these kids, had Higgins, could have no doubt had one of the best QB/WR trios in the country in Tennessee orange and didn’t finish the job. It’s a moot point now but even if Butch had gotten all 3 of them he would have been like a dog chasing a car and would not have known what to do with them when they got here.

You tell me.

What chapps me is that UT was guarnteeing Butch $200K per month through 2/2021 and he chose to be petty and take a $2500/mo job at UT's biggest rival (humour me FL haters)
He's petty, I get it, I might do that too....for a season.
He was guaranteed $200K/mo whatever he did, have some pride, at least take a HS head coaching job or OC at Knox Catholic....or even team up with Sammy Sawyer as a Sergeant Carter Look-a-like.

Reactions: Voltopia
Ok as I admitted earlier in the thread, I was wrong on the not recruiting him thing, however that don’t change the fact that Butch still dropped the ball on not one but 3 huge names that we could have and honestly should have gotten. Why is that so hard to understand? Butch could have had all 3 of these kids, had Higgins, could have no doubt had one of the best QB/WR trios in the country in Tennessee orange and didn’t finish the job. It’s a moot point now but even if Butch had gotten all 3 of them he would have been like a dog chasing a car and would not have known what to do with them when they got here.
I over heard a conversation with CPF and he was pissed that Butch blew it with 5 "AA caliber players that should be wearing the right orange"

Reactions: Vol$_Deep_11_9
Ok, I didnt know that u admitted he was recruited. I agree that butch dropped the ball on all 3.. 4 if u count travis etienne, who was a big UT fan growing up

Reactions: Vol$_Deep_11_9
My animosity towards Butch has nothing to do with slogans or otherwise. Speaking for myself, I don’t understand the mentality of some people that would rather collect a free paycheck vs working for what you have. It’s the equivalent of someone living off of welfare by choice while driving a car more expensive than the one a working man can afford. He’s had opportunities that he’s walked away from or overshot his asking price knowing he wouldn’t be considered afterwards only because he’s comfortable taking free money from Tennessee. I have NO respect for a man like that.

Ok, I didnt know that u admitted he was recruited. I agree that butch dropped the ball on all 3.. 4 if u count travis etienne, who was a big UT fan growing up
Wasn’t the first time I was wrong and won’t be the last my friend. Butch struck out on big talent plain and simple. I know you can’t get em all and won’t get em all but those guys seemingly were low hanging fruit. Good day, friend.

I think he destroyed team chemistry...he was incapable of being honest with the players. He played favorites. He was inflexible with his schemes. He had the second coming of Eddie George but refused to play an O scheme to effectively utilize him. He had the perfect back for his system but played him behind Eddie George and only gave him about 5 carries a game until Eddie got frustrated and quit. He inherited a pocket passer but waved his magic wand and though he was a dual threat QB. He seemed to recruit well but lost so many to attrition that our talent level was well behind most of the league. If not for Josh Dobbs, he wouldn’t have made it as long as he did.

Reactions: Wireless1
Dave Hart was in a bind for a coach after Gundy and Strong both declined the head coaching job in 2013. Hart promotes an assistant coach from the Dooley staff on a four or five year deal and then move forward is what he should have done.

Looking back Kippy Brown should have been given a chance as HC IMO.

Reactions: sport3500
When Allison Maurer departed the program, I thought something was rotten in Denmark. Nothing DeerPark could utter would change my mind.

Agreed, I raised my eyebrow when that occurred as well, however, I had not bailed by then. The second Vandy win did it for me.

The man basically told Trevor Lawrence “thanks but no thanks”. That’s enough for me to have animosity towards him🤷🏻‍♂️

I have some bad news for you if you’re thinking he’s the 1st UT coach to turn away a top tier college player. I’m not going to defend him though. I agree with OP that he wasn’t “the guy” but he also wasn’t as bad as he’s made out to be.

Last edited:
OP- Not getting too much support here, huh? My beef? We had a good thing going being one of the only NCAA teams to never lose every conference game in a season. Wasn't it us and Ohio State? Now, just them.
That is a blemish that can't be erased. Bottom line, the brick by brick BS sounded good for a few years until we, as a fan base figured it out.
The video below is LONG, however, if you are pressed for time, skip around. As you watch, ask yourself, could Butch Jones ever put on a presentation like this? Answer, not only no, but HELL no. Pruitt has forgotten more about the game than Butch ever knew. Used to tick me off when, after a loss - the interviewer would run up to Butch and ask, (paraphasing) "Why did we blow this game?" Butch: " I'll have to watch the film." In hindsight, even watching the film, he couldn't figure it out. Adjustments made at halftime were nonexistent. We sucked in the second half with Butch. OK here's the video. You don't have to watch much. Pruitt isn't "faking" his knowledge of the game here.

Reactions: FïreBall
Let me get my popcorn

There were many on here praising Butch's character early in his tenure at UT. Plenty of proof on this board.

Opinions often change with familiarity. I know the UC fans had their full of Butchie when he left to come to UT, but I had not heard any reports of him being such a douche bag on the local sports stations. They tired of the cliches just like we did.

I have some bad news for you if you’re thinking he’s the 1st UT coach to turn away a top tier college player. I’m not going to defend him though. I agree with OP that he wasn’t “the guy” but he also wasn’t as bad as he’s made out to be.
Oh I know he’s most definitely not. Dooley done it too and I’m sure in his day Phil was guilty of it as well. Not my first rodeo either amigo

God almighty I didn't know Butch LITERALLY told Trevor Lawrence to look elsewhere.

Jesus....

He runs a sub 4.8 forty as well and couldn't fit into Butch's offense reportedly. He was/is a better Dobbs than Dobbs was/is.

He runs a sub 4.8 forty as well and couldn't fit into Butch's offense reportedly. He was/is a better Dobbs than Dobbs was/is.
I guess its a blessing. Trevor may have kept him his job.....nevermind he'd transfer or become the next Kamara.

Reactions: Remy
I could get over the fact that he is living embodiment of the Peter Principle.

I could get over the comments about fans. I could even get over the amazingly long string of mind-blowing stupidity he executed as coach.

I could probably even get over the fact that he ran to Bama to be the water boy and suck at the UT teat for his buyout. All without even looking for another job.

What I can't forgive is this image. He should have gracefully exited the stadium, congratulated the Bama players, then left. His guys just took a beatdown from their rival.

But, no. Not Lyle. He reveled in it. Posed for a pic. Low character, low class.

rdt76Dh.jpg

VN Store

Back