I see a lot of folks complaining...

Please! Please! This is supposed to be a happy occasion! Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who. We are here today to witness the union of two young people in the joyful bond of the holy wedlock. Unfortunately, one of them, my son Herbert, has just fallen to his death.
View attachment 346784
1 billion VolBucks for that reference.

Reactions: OrangeTsar
about our new coach, but I for one am very excited about it. There are folks providing reasons why this coach or that coach might have been a better choice, and just as many others giving reasons why those same coaches were totally unacceptable choices. These are the realities as I see them:

First and foremost, Josh Heupel is our head coach. We had a coach to hire, and it felt like another coordinator experiment was not the way to go this time. Heupel has head coaching experience and has been successful. I see nothing to gain with arguing about how or why.

Many (most or maybe all?) of us feel like our offense has been the problem and we need a new offensive direction. He believes in and executes a fast-paced, high powered offense. I believe it is safe to say we will score points in his offense. I see nothing to gain by arguing about the conference or the level of competition.

Could we have done this, or should we have done that really don't make any difference or apply any more. The speculation is over - we have our coach. I may generally be a 'glass-half-full' kind of person, but I am ready to see what Heupel can do with this team and our offense. I believe this team is going to be fun to watch, and will win games. I can't wait for the O&W game!

First coach hired since Kiffin who is competent. O should be good next year, we've got some talent on that side of the ball.

Reactions: wmcovol
Most people are upset because it looks like Tennessee is doing the same thing it has done the past 3 coaching searches.

Neither Dooley nor Jones had the resume of success as an offensive coach as Heupel has. Pruitt did at Alabama but he was overseen by one of the games greatest defensive coaches in history. Pruitt was average-good at UGA & FSU. Jmo.

about our new coach, but I for one am very excited about it. There are folks providing reasons why this coach or that coach might have been a better choice, and just as many others giving reasons why those same coaches were totally unacceptable choices. These are the realities as I see them:

First and foremost, Josh Heupel is our head coach. We had a coach to hire, and it felt like another coordinator experiment was not the way to go this time. Heupel has head coaching experience and has been successful. I see nothing to gain with arguing about how or why.

Many (most or maybe all?) of us feel like our offense has been the problem and we need a new offensive direction. He believes in and executes a fast-paced, high powered offense. I believe it is safe to say we will score points in his offense. I see nothing to gain by arguing about the conference or the level of competition.

Could we have done this, or should we have done that really don't make any difference or apply any more. The speculation is over - we have our coach. I may generally be a 'glass-half-full' kind of person, but I am ready to see what Heupel can do with this team and our offense. I believe this team is going to be fun to watch, and will win games. I can't wait for the O&W game!
My take....he's not Jeremy Pruitt. I know some of my early posts were less than flattering, but I think once the disappointment and the heat of the moment faded, I recognized that he's really a positive when you consider the absolute chit show Pruitt gave us. Hell, anyone or anything would be preferable to the gump.

Neither Dooley nor Jones had the resume of success as an offensive coach as Heupel has. Pruitt did at Alabama but he was overseen by one of the games greatest defensive coaches in history. Pruitt was average-good at UGA & FSU. Jmo.
This is exactly what was said about Butch replacing Dooley, and Pruitt replacing Butch.

Most people are upset because it looks like Tennessee is doing the same thing it has done the past 3 coaching searches.

How so? Last time we hired talented coordinator with all kinds of experience working under best HC in CF history. This time we first hired one of the top AD in the country after which he hired talented HC who seemingly has the potential to step up to the biggest stage. There are no certain hires in this business - there is nobody out there who could have stepped in right now with realistic chance to beat Saban, UF, or UGA quickly - Kiffin, Freeze, or even Andy Reid would not be likely to suceed at UT any time soon, or be given enough time to build something long term. We are in a position where any hire was going to be a complete gamble and if that's the case at least we may get to watch some fun offenses rather than the misery we had to suffer through this year.

People need to remember that the OC and DC make the coach more times than not. See Philip Fulmer if you have any questions.

How so? Last time we hired talented coordinator with all kinds of experience working under best HC in CF history. This time we first hired one of the top AD in the country after which he hired talented HC who seemingly has the potential to step up to the biggest stage. There are no certain hires in this business - there is nobody out there who could have stepped in right now with realistic chance to beat Saban, UF, or UGA quickly - Kiffin, Freeze, or even Andy Reid would not be likely to suceed at UT any time soon, or be given enough time to build something long term. We are in a position where any hire was going to be a complete gamble and if that's the case at least we may get to watch some fun offenses rather than the misery we had to suffer through this year.
How so? Were you not here for the previous 3 hires? We already struck out once and down 0-2 on next batter.

How so? Were you not here for the previous 3 hires? We already struck out once and down 0-2 on next batter.

I have no clue how Heupel turns out. No one does. But his experience as an OC AND HC puts him far ahead of Pruitt, Jones & Dooley.

At least we’ll have an identity as a program now. We haven’t had one since 2004 (physical up front, strong running game). But that same identity isn’t working for many people today. Bama & Clemson are going wide open. OSU is trying. OU has been there.

Regardless of who we wanted, Vol fans need to get behind this guy. Forget any issues with the AD. He’ll get with the program if we do.

Remember what Barry Switzer once said “players and coaches come and go but it’s the fans who stay here regardless”. Go Vols!

Reactions: GameTime and TGVol

I have been around for all hires going all the way back to Majors. I was opposed to Fulmer firing but after that was done I got over it I though every hire since made some sense at the times they were hired. My biggest doubts were about Butch because he came accross like snake oil salesman to me from day one. Never thought he was a good football coach but even he did some good things recruiting and rebuilding the UT profile early on after he arrived. Kiffin, Dooley, and Pruitt certainly all had their bright moments early on, either recruting or even showing some promise on the field. Just because none of them worked out does not necessarily mean it was a wrong gamble to go with them at those times. By the way my favorites were Kiffin and Dooley because they were offense oriented (so I liked that Dooley kept Chaney to maintain that momentum after Kiffin left). This is why I'm kind of looking forward to see what our new offensive minded coach can do (hopefully unlike Dooley he will bring in better defensive staff and recruiters - that was Dooley's biggest issue and downfall - if his staff could have recruited better defensive talent he would have most likely succeeded).

Reactions: LittleVol

Well said and I agree! He's our Coach and I will happily support him unless he gives a reason not to.

Some fans, like yourself, are lying to themselves. You don't want defense, you don't want offense....YOU WANT TO WIN!! But since most of you have given up on winning, you make excuses from one coach to the next. This time we want offense. After Heupel flames out and we give up 50 and 60 points to our rivals, the fans will be screaming for defense. Then we'll hire the next bum whose a "defensive guy" and the fans will scream they want offense. Wash, rinse, repeat...

Heupel is a below average recruiter who has never built a program. His offense at Mizzu was 22nd in offensive efficiency. Jim Chaney in 2012 was 22nd in offensive efficiency and we went 4-7 and ran Dooley out of town.

All to say, let's stop lying to ourselves. We want to win, however they have to do it, but to do that you have to demand much more from your Admin and you have to start valuing this program again.

Nobody outside “values the program” and will not until there are wins on the field.

If you have a team that can score you have to attack, attack, attack. And hope you have a defense that can slow em down and turn em over. It’s Johnny ball!

Is this a Danny White burner account?

I said it from the day he started... Pruitt was a good recruiter. I worry Heupel will fall far short of what Pruitt could do. I guess we will definitely be testing the theory that UT "recruits itself." If we start cranking out classes like Vandy or Miss State then we are in serious trouble. On the other hand, you can't judge Heupel on his recruiting ability at UCF. Now he's at the biggest..best conference in football at a school used to having it's share of top recruiting classes. If we bring In classes in the 20s then we'll know he isn't a good recruiter. I hope we see a great class come in..in 2022. Recruiting is absolutely HUGE for us to get back on top....and it is the biggest...most important unknown right now. With all these guys leaving it's not off to a great start. Quite honestly it's scary.

VN Store

Back