I saw where Tyler Baron is officially back in the portal [now heading to Miami]

This. Don’t get the hate honestly.
His dad was on staff here. He attended Knoxville Catholic. He was our own.We were the ones that developed him. But he cared about money more and now Miami will get the credit once he is drafted. This in a year where we have momentum with a 5 star QB and optimism to compete for a playoff spot.

We are trying to rebuild a reputation of churning out NFL talent, and losing Baron hurts that effort. Especially considering that our HC is offensive minded, we need to cling on to anyone we put in the NFL on defense. It's a much more needed selling point on that side of the ball. I get we have Pearce who is highly touted, but it would be even more powerful to point to multiple guys that are being developed.

His dad was on staff here. He attended Knoxville Catholic. He was our own.We were the ones that developed him. But he cared about money more and now Miami will get the credit once he is drafted. This in a year where we have momentum with a 5 star QB and optimism to compete for a playoff spot.

We are trying to rebuild a reputation of churning out NFL talent, and losing Baron hurts that effort. Especially considering that our HC is offensive minded, we need to cling on to anyone we put in the NFL on defense. It's a much more needed selling point on that side of the ball. I get we have Pearce who is highly touted, but it would be even more powerful to point to multiple guys that are being developed.
His dad is no longer on staff. It has been a battle to keep him on the roster most of the off seasons he’s been here. Most of these kids are here for what Tennessee can do for them not the other way around. I don’t think Baron was ever a lockerroom problem during the season or didn’t give 100% on the field. He’s motivated by money, so is 50% of the roster if we’re being honest. Most of that 50% are guys that will play at the next level.

His dad is no longer on staff. It has been a battle to keep him on the roster most of the off seasons he’s been here. Most of these kids are here for what Tennessee can do for them not the other way around. I don’t think Baron was ever a lockerroom problem during the season or didn’t give 100% on the field. He’s motivated by money, so is 50% of the roster if we’re being honest. Most of that 50% are guys that will play at the next level.
I'm sure he was still getting paid handsomely here. The difference in pay from here to go elsewhere is what irks people. Is it reallly that much to risk going elsewhere and potentially tanking your draft stock. Here he was on the road to being a 2nd or 3rd pick with the opportunity to improve that. Here, you play opposite the best edge rusher in the country. You get more defensive snaps with our high tempo offense. Other teams are trailing, so more chances to pin your ears back and get to the QB.

Either way, you ask why everyone is mad at him. That is why. You can understand why he is doing and still not like it or like him for doing it.

It's unfortunate because I think he could have had a monster year at Tennessee this season.
Might be mistaken, but I seem to recall some folks/sources implying that Baron wasn't such a positive influence in the locker room and that Garner wasn't that upset about his departure? Maybe I'm confusing Baron with someone else, but I was under the impression that him leaving was considered addition by subtraction.

Ain’t nuthin but a money thang. If you don’t want to hunt with the big dogs, go play in the ACC.

I'm sure he was still getting paid handsomely here. The difference in pay from here to go elsewhere is what irks people. Is it reallly that much to risk going elsewhere and potentially tanking your draft stock. Here he was on the road to being a 2nd or 3rd pick with the opportunity to improve that. Here, you play opposite the best edge rusher in the country. You get more defensive snaps with our high tempo offense. Other teams are trailing, so more chances to pin your ears back and get to the QB.

Either way, you ask why everyone is mad at him. That is why. You can understand why he is doing and still not like it or like him for doing it.
I mean I don’t like that he’s not here. I still don’t like wishing for a kid to fail. Most likely he had someone in his ear that led to a bad choice being made. Whatever money he made in nil wasn’t worth the BS he went through. I think we’re both on the same page on most things here; I just don’t like wishing ill will on a kid that did a lot for the program but made a stupid choice to leave. I think he probably had a lot better resume for nfl if he had stuck around. JMO.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

Not trying to knock Baron, but where did you read he was potentially a 2-3 round pick? Thought I read he was headed for the UDFA route and thought maybe college NIL was more profitable.

Last edited:

I don’t think there’s any chance he goes that early. He would have already made the jump to the league if he was projected to go that high. He’s likely a late round pick or UDFA

The guy left for his own reasons. Probably money-focused, and it’s hard to blame him for looking for the best payday.

But, in all honesty, once he decided to leave Tennessee, my care factor and good wishes diminished to zero. I don’t be wish bad things for him, but come on … If he chose to leave us, why waste time on him at all? And wasn’t he flirting with a transfer the last couple of seasons?

Barron is not quite the same level as Henry T. and those other clowns who ran away with no consequences after the Pruitt fiasco, but he ain’t much better. He was a local guy and could have been a beloved Volunteer IN ADDITION TO making some good $ via Spyre and being set-up for a possible NFL run. Now, he’s just another run-around mercenary that might not pan out. Who knows? And, more accurately, who cares?

(Me, I guess, since I wasted my time responding . . . HA!)

I think he was looking for a chance to have a statistically great last season to improve his draft stock. He won’t be the guy getting doubled so he should have a good shot.
Totally disagree with this. Pearce will have all the attention this year and Baron would have had his moment. I’m personally glad he’s finally gone! He’s only done this every year he’s been here. He won’t amount to anything in the NFL imo

I may be in the minority but I’d welcome him back if Big Josh thinks it’s a good idea
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say, if CJH doesn't think it's a good idea, it maybe, probably, most likely won't happen.. 😬

I'm assuming the reason he's gone is he dropped down on the depth chart. Somebody set me straight if that's incorrect..

Totally disagree with this. Pearce will have all the attention this year and Baron would have had his moment. I’m personally glad he’s finally gone! He’s only done this every year he’s been here. He won’t amount to anything in the NFL imo
Baron moved away from Tennessee and he’s not coming back…not sure his issues but we’re the last team he would consider…so with us not in the picture my comment stands

Baron moved away from Tennessee and he’s not coming back…not sure his issues but we’re the last team he would consider…so with us not in the picture my comment stands
I’m glad Baron isn’t coming back! He’s been a headache pretty much since he’s been here. He’s looking for a handout and not willing to work for it. Pretty sure his issues starts with his daddy!

Reactions: Sarms58
I’m glad Baron isn’t coming back! He’s been a headache pretty much since he’s been here. He’s looking for a handout and not willing to work for it. Pretty sure his issues starts with his daddy!
Yea, whatever it was his attitude was far bigger than his talent…he was good but we‘ve got better. Good luck to him but we’ll be fine.

Tennessee.

Ole Miss.

Louisville.

And now — Miami.
Oh well, I'm the type of guy who will never settle down
Where there's the most NIL money, you know that I'm around
I count it and I pocket it cause to me, they're all the same
I take it and I spend it, I don't have an ounce of shame.

They call me the wanderer
Yeah, the wanderer
I roam around, around, around

Reactions: VolTull

"We spoke in the prior segment about (Wesley) Walker, (Tyler) Baron, and Peny Boone," said Wahman. "They were all represented by an agent. So I guess I'm going to dispel the rumors (that Louisville has had major NIL issues). Coach (Jeff) Brohm kicked them all off the team because they were starting trouble in the locker room, telling everybody 'oh I'm making this much, you should tell your guys to get you this much'. So it was a situation where you had some troublemakers in the locker room. Coach Brohm found out about it [and] he gave them the boot."

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say, if CJH doesn't think it's a good idea, it maybe, probably, most likely won't happen.. 😬

I'm assuming the reason he's gone is he dropped down on the depth chart. Somebody set me straight if that's incorrect..
I agree. He probably dropped down and had a pay problem. The grass is not always greener on the other side. Hope he packs light. Do you think during this period he made an attempt to come back to the team and we we said "No"? I could actually see that happening.

VN Store

Back