I respect Pruitt's response...

VolGirl05

I think I was expecting it more after the UK loss especially, but I appreciated his candor and vulnerability in stating that he's not used to this, and that the players are not okay with it and are hungry to get back to winning.

And his comments about younger players needing to adjust their preparation and practice habits seems to be the first thing that actually makes some sense about this QB fiasco. If they apply in any way to Maurer or Bailey, then I'm glad that he's not caving to immaturity, laziness, etc. (if any of that is the case as insinuated). Better to set the tone now than to let some highly-touted high school stars think they're running the show.

I realize we want to see improvement on the field like yesterday, but we've already seen what can happen when the head coach is afraid to call out players or even so much as criticize their performance in vague terms; not the road you want to go down.

I have zero desire to get back on the coaching carousel, so I'm remaining hopeful that things will once again be headed in the right direction soon.

It's year three, he's responsible for the habits these kids have in practice. Don't care about his excuses and how "the kids are tired of losing", heard it for the last ten years and it's what coaches who don't know how to fix things tell their fans.
Agree. If in year three with a majority of players being your players, you should have already instilled your habits.

Reactions: 08Vol
Others under the same circumstances are thriving. No excuses because everyone had the same start.
Not all teams enforced or had the same covid guidelines. From what I've read, Tennessee was one of the hardest hit by by guidelines that were out of their control, like contact tracing.. Not trying to make excuses, but it is what it is...

Others under the same circumstances are thriving. No excuses because everyone had the same start.

To some degree I agree with you...but then I read of other programs who largely ignored a lot of the more severe restrictions this summer (ie, cheated, sort of) while it seems UT was careful to follow the letter on contract tracing, etc and I believe that cost us, especially with young players.

What we really need is someone galvanizing the units on both sides of the ball. You could argue that most all effectively coached teams have good practice habits and play hard. That being said, football is a momentum game. Vs KY, you could see the air go out of the ball on our efforts when we had back to back to back INT's w/ 2 pick 6's. Likewise, yesterday, though the result of the game was never in question, when Bama had the fumble scoop and score on the opening series of the second half, it deflates the energy. When someone or a unit takes that next exponential step and makes a play, it gets all sides of the ball pumped. No INT's, no sacks, no QB pressure...D didn't do anything good yesterday. Offense played I thought better, but once we fumbled, you knew there was no way to keep pace.

WE have no identity. Thought it was going to be strong run game and solid D...may not be the best team in SEC, but we'll make you beat us...that's been out the window since half time of UGA game.

On a side note, in YEAR 1, I was OK just running the ball to emphasize the run, when the game was already lost. But, I'm really tired of being down 3+ scores in Q3, and we start just running the ball, I guess to prove a point...other than just get this game over with.

Reactions: 08Vol
I have a difficult time respecting someone that has had 3 years to make changes and still attempts the same thing week after week. Once again, saying a player gives you the best chance to win if you are winning is one thing but when you continue to lose and not even compete and you keep starting that player anything you say means nothing. It is Butch Jones sales pitches.

He stated improve their practice and preparation habits. A lot of preparation has to come from the want to of the kid. He can’t make them watch and study film until midnight or study and go through the playbook. They are allowed 20 hrs a week with the coaches. Also this being a weird year he hasn’t had a chance with the younger players right out of high school

Reactions: lexkyvol
Anyone thinking year three, especially this year, is delusional. It sucks to lose three in a row this way. Without the mind boggling Kentucky L, we would be on par with W/L expectations.

But there WAS that loss.

And Tennessee is NOT on par with expectations.

If “you” expected 3 truly terrible losses......then you don’t expect much at all from this coach. I guess that’s why your ok with him.

Some of us “expect” more.

Anyone thinking year three, especially this year, is delusional. It sucks to lose three in a row this way. Without the mind boggling Kentucky L, we would be on par with W/L expectations.
But Kentucky happened. And GA State. And BYU. You can’t keep sweeping these awful losses under the rug. It’s a pattern. And we should all be tired of the failure and excuses.

Not all teams enforced or had the same covid guidelines. From what I've read, Tennessee was one of the hardest hit by by guidelines that were out of their control, like contact tracing.. Not trying to make excuses, but it is what it is...
Everyone had the same practice time rules. Others had people out. We are poorly coached and not prepared. That is what it is.

Reactions: MeanOrange
I think I was expecting it more after the UK loss especially, but I appreciated his candor and vulnerability in stating that he's not used to this, and that the players are not okay with it and are hungry to get back to winning.

And his comments about younger players needing to adjust their preparation and practice habits seems to be the first thing that actually makes some sense about this QB fiasco. If they apply in any way to Maurer or Bailey, then I'm glad that he's not caving to immaturity, laziness, etc. (if any of that is the case as insinuated). Better to set the tone now than to let some highly-touted high school stars think they're running the show.

I realize we want to see improvement on the field like yesterday, but we've already seen what can happen when the head coach is afraid to call out players or even so much as criticize their performance in vague terms; not the road you want to go down.

I have zero desire to get back on the coaching carousel, so I'm remaining hopeful that things will once again be headed in the right direction soon.
BS - He is not used to it ? This is not year 1 and we have now been blown out 12 times in 2.5 years. The same total as Butch and Dooley combined Pruitt is not HC material. I was holding out hope but yesterday sealed the deal. Pruitt did not try to get back in the game yesterday. He quit.

Last edited:
Everyone had the same practice time rules. Others had people out. We are poorly coached and not prepared. That is what it is.
Not disagreeing with coaching issues, but I read an article (don't ask for a link because I don't have one) that said we were hit harder because of the Tennessee guidelines being more restrictive than say Georgia. I may not be remembering accurately because I suffer from CRS...

Agree. If in year three with a majority of players being your players, you should have already instilled your habits.
The Butch players is the weakest excuse out of the plethora of excuses made for Pruitt. It’s season 3 and every damn player on the team is a Pruitt player since he has chosen to keep them on the team.

Reactions: 08Vol and willinhf
Here's the season summarized in dating terms

You met an 3/10 at the bar. It took all night but you got her number

The 2/10 girl gave you the number willingly

The 8.5/10 girl toyed with you but rejected you big time at the end

The 5/10 rejected and humiliated you

The 10/10 continued the rejection and humiliation

Reactions: volinbham
You need to provide some proof on that one....

Pruitt's Top Ten Excuses:
1. COVID
2. Injuries
3. Players aren't good enough
4. It's the D-Line coach's fault
5. Players aren't practicing right
6. No players emerging as team leaders
7. The opponent has a really good football team
8. No spring practice
9. Even if we had spring practice, there wouldn't have been enough fans at the O&W Game
10. COVID

Now, does that make sense?

VN Store

Back