I remember...

I remember going to the old, half empty Thompson-Boling arena as a 12 year old to watch us get obliterated by Kentucky in 1996. I remember how funny it looked with all those blue people sitting in most of the orange seats and the other 25% being empty.

Being a fan of the basketball program back then meant being happy with 15 wins.

Now here we sit with a real shot. It's hard for me to grasp it, but it's real. We finally have the horses.

I know it's December.

...but it's our December - and it's our time now.

What do YOU remember?
Thompson Boling Arena has never been half empty for a Kentucky game.

I remember leaving the gym on a Tuesday night after my 8th grade basketball game and going to TBA to watch Tennessee upset Shaq and the LSU Tigers. I remember watching the mustachioed Lang Wiseman light them up, and I remember thinking Allan Houston had the sweetest form on a jump shot that I had ever seen.

I also remember thinking that maybe we weren't nationally good, like GOOD good, but my eighth=grade mind wondered why we couldn't win a few more than we did. Looked to me like we should have been at least average.

I remember loving to watch Allan Houston play ball in TBA, no matter how mediocre we were. I remember my ex-girlfriend's sister dating Big Boy C. Hathaway after she broke up with Albert Haynesworth and thinking she had upgraded, haha...and I'm being dead serious. I remember Watson having the sweetest ball handling skills I'd seen in a long time. I remember watching little Tony light it up from all over the floor. I remember thinking Black did more with less than pretty much any player in the country. I remember loving the excitement from CBP's first year success and how we've steadily progressed ever since. I remember this past Saturday thinking I may witness the greatest Tennessee team of all-time play in the Final Four this year. GBO!!!

I remember the promise of a freshman named Allan Houston...

The grittiness of one Carlus Groves...

The pride I got from watching Northeast TN's own Damon Johnson and Shane Williams...

The joy of watching CJ Black irritate every player to face him (and often his coaches too)...

How much I liked Isaiah Victor and how I hoped he would play in the league...

What and underused talent Marcus Haislip became with our program...

Skipping out on a date to catch the end of UT @ Arizona on the radio when I was 17...

Seeing UT make the tournament for the first time in my adult life...

These are just a few "I remembers."

I guess I'm too old I remember the Ernie & Bernie Show; Ernie Grunfeld and Bernard King. What a tandem! It's great to see Men's VOL Basketball at a high level and maybe an unprecedented level. After all, until last year we never heard of the elite 8 and almost made it to the final four. So far this team looks awesome!

I remember the tail end of the last era in which we were good, early 80s with Dale Ellis and beating Kentucky on a regular basis.

Allan Houston, amazing player, too bad he had little support from players or competent coaching staff.

The 2005-06 season was one of my favorites, just came out of nowhere... And great timing after that miserable football season.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

As a kid, I remember the anticipation of going to see a scoring bonanza by the Vol's Ernie and Bernie and the ensuing rout. Instead, I witnessed a pre-shot clock four-corner stall by Temple for all of the game and an eternal NCAA lowest scoring game record of 11-6.

I remember the promise of a freshman named Allan Houston...

The grittiness of one Carlus Groves...
The pride I got from watching Northeast TN's own Damon Johnson and Shane Williams...

The joy of watching CJ Black irritate every player to face him (and often his coaches too)...

How much I liked Isaiah Victor and how I hoped he would play in the league...

What and underused talent Marcus Haislip became with our program...

Skipping out on a date to catch the end of UT @ Arizona on the radio when I was 17...

Seeing UT make the tournament for the first time in my adult life...

These are just a few "I remembers."

He and Corey Brewer the only players to come from my hometown.

I remember being a kid, sitting with my Dad while he watched the Vols and told me all about each player...where they were from, how they played the game, and what to expect. I also remember going to the bookstore afterward and BEGGING for a shirt or a hat, promising to do more chores when we got home. He always had a way of "forgetting" once we did, just happy to see me happy decked out in Orange.

I remember the transition to TBA.

I remember Allan Houston.

I remember Chris Lofton and how once he stepped across the half-court line, it could go up at any time, and usually did.

I was a ball boy during the Kevin O'Neil era....I remember when UK came to town looking up from the floor and seeing all BLUE on top an some ORANGE on bottom. Then I remember Ron Mercer throwing down a nasty dunk on the goal I was at...man times have changed! GO VOLS

Anybody remember the brawl that broke out that year in LSU? I would love to see that video now, haha...I just remember Shaq throwing punches everywhere!

I remember Tennessee beating Kentucky in the finals of The SEC Championship back in 1979.

Last edited:
I remember listening to the radio broadcast of the BasketVols' excruciating 11-6 victory over Temple in 1973.

Portland, 95%.

Carlus Groves won Mr. Basketball in 1989 at East Robertson (my old high school) which is in Cross Plains, TN.

Sorry, you can't claim him. You already have Corey Brewer. =P

I remember Johnny Darden ...Darden could sure dish out the assists and was one of my all-time favorite Vols

Last edited:
I remember working in HYPER (rec facility on campus)when Alvin Harper Anthony Morgan JJ McClesky Dale Carter and another player...not sure he was even on the football team...played a pickup game and beat Greg Bell Lang Wiseman Michael Curry and a couple more guys badly. My job there was to ensure only students were there playing and to enforce the No Dunking rule...haha...I didn't say a word as this was an above the rim type of game.

Later I played in game with Greg Amsler on my team and some backup players vs Harper McClesky and some others I didn't know. I learned two things from that game...McClesky could run his mouth and Harper has no problem dunking over a slow white boy who attempted take a charge from him...he had nice tread on the bottom of his high tops too.

Just a few of the perks from working a mindless..have to due to financial aid...job on campus

I remember going to the dance a couple of time in the 90s and the student section being packed for the big games

who was our point guard with a black mustache? that is my earliest memory. No clue what his name was but he was probably there in the early 90's.

I remember Tony Harris and the TN teams of the late 90's early 2000's being suprisingly competitive. I remeber storming the court as a student when TN beat #3 auburn.

Orlando Berry. Alico Dunk. Edrick Bohannon. Ed Gray.

Forgotten Vols.

Jenis Grindstaff - the best name in UT B-ball history.

VN Store

Back