I remember...

I remember Ernie and Bernie putting it on Tree Rollins and Clemson in the Old Christmas Classic at Stokely. I remember Devoe beating Kentucky 3 times in the same year of 1979 and also the big come from behind win at LSU when Dan Fedderman tapped in the winning shot and DeVoe took the team straight to the bus and we got out of town.

I remember when Basketball tickets were real easy to come by. Sometimes people would almost pay you to take their tickets. I also remember when it was no problem getting tickets on the floor.

Boy have things changed!

I remember Tony Harris and the TN teams of the late 90's early 2000's being suprisingly competitive. I remeber storming the court as a student when TN beat #3 auburn.

I was sitting in the upper deck on the old bleacher seats. Who was the big guy for auburn with the afro? porter?

I was sitting in the upper deck on the old bleacher seats. Who was the big guy for auburn with the afro? porter?

Ansu Sesay

I think he was SEC player of the year that year.

N/M he played at Ole Miss.

Last edited:
Michael Brooks could shoot it with anybody to don the Orange. He crossed the time line and was a danger to drill it. 3 point line and he's an all timer.

Amen. That '81 team with Michael Brooks, Dale Ellis Reggie Johnson, Tyrone Beaman, Gary Carter, Steve Ray... one of my favorites.

I remember my first year up here in 06, my friends and I went to every single home game (after a few sodas). We'd wear orange ski masks (hunting) and lose our voice for every game. It was entertaining to say the least. We tried to rush the court one time after a big win and got D-Bo'd by the security.

Over the years, the student seating capacity went down, and the amount of students who wanted to see the successful Vols went up, so I started missing more games. But it was fun to be the wild student fans back when TBA was 1/3-1/2 full for games.

I miss you old TBA.

I remember my freshman year (04/05 season) being able to show up about 10-15 minutes before tip off and not having a problem finding a seat in the first 5 rows. I remember being yelled at by students to sit down during the Kentucky and Florida games that year, because I wanted to stand. I remember when Brandon Crump was the go to guy, and the team used to run through that awful Power T during introductions.

I remember by my senior year I practically lived at TBA and had to camp out at least one night, sometimes two nights before the bigger games in order to get seats on the floor. I remember still camping out for the smaller games just for the heck of it anyway. I remember while camping out for games, trying to explain to the younger students how it was during the Buzz Ball era, and them just staring at me, not understanding. As far as basketball goes, I was a student at the perfect time.

Going to games in Alumni gym with my dad... John Ward yelling BOTTOM!!! when Jimmy England hit one from the corner... Seeing four or five of the guys (Boerwinkle, England etc.) in church with Coach Mears... Vandy fans throwing oranges at CRM... CRM walking the long way around Vandy's gym so they could throw more oranges... Waiting in line around the Student Center overnight to get tickets to see Ernie and Bernie vs. Alabama (a big deal that year). I was gone for many years, got back in 2005. I missed a lot, but UT basketball is one of fondest memories.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Going to games in Alumni gym with my dad... John Ward yelling BOTTOM!!! when Jimmy England hit one from the corner... Seeing four or five of the guys (Boerwinkle, England etc.) in church with Coach Mears... Vandy fans throwing oranges at CRM... CRM walking the long way around Vandy's gym so they could throw more oranges... Waiting in line around the Student Center overnight to get tickets to see Ernie and Bernie vs. Alabama (a big deal that year). I was gone for many years, got back in 2005. I missed a lot, but UT basketball is one of fondest memories.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Bernard King scoring 36 in Stokely against UK in the final reg season game in 1977. Mike Jackson taking over a game at Alabama after King and Grunfeld fouled out. We eventually lost in 2 OTs but Jackson was clearly the leader on that day. Watching John Snow hit 10 shots from 20 feet and beyond without a miss against LSU in Knoxville. Vols winning Great Alaska Shootout in 1980 when it was the very best early season tournament. Watching Chris Jackson and Allan Houston score 50 and 43 points in a close duel in Knoxville. Seeing Bernard King hit a shot on his back in Lexington in game in which Grunfeld scored 43 points. Watching a Ray Mears team(King, Grunfeld, Jackson, Johnson, Darden) average 86 points a game in the pre shot clock era. Watching a decently talented group of players lose to Vandy in 2005 by over 20 at home and then watching the same players beat Vandy twice the very next season and get a #2 seed in the tournament.

I could go on and on.....

VN Store

Back