I never shared the hate for Butch Jones as the other UT fans

4 things did Butch Jones in.

1. Clueless HC, was terrible at actual coaching.

2. Development. His staff was terrible at it.

3. Giving into players too often. MOST IMPORTANT EXAMPLE IS...Letting go of a good Strength coach (who had ours guys in great shape and conditioned in 2015. ) Because players thought it was too hard. So Butch losens up and look at 2016. Horrible conditioning and injuries everywhere.

4. Didn't truly understand what the expectations are at UT.

After two pages of reading, this last post wins.

I was all in with Butch until late in the 2016 season. He did really good in recruiting to start his time here, but it is obvious that he let the culture of the program go to !#$$$%@!#. Along with a total lack of conditioning, our team was allowed to fall into the snowflake mentality of expecting participation trophies. Not that the other numerals are wrong, but #3 all day long.

This is a big part of why Pruitt is taking so long to right the ship. It may not be completely fixed until all of the Butch players are gone. If Pruitt can survive this year, and have a decent recruiting class, I expect that we will be a good team next year. I know every one is tired of hearing "just wait till next year," but just get over it. We need the youth movement to continue.

Look, Pruitt is accustomed to championships. Yes, he would like to win every game, but the process is more important to him right now. It should be to us as well. Who cares if we lose more than we win, this year, if we win championships from here on out? It was not like we expected a championship this year anyway.

I hope Pruitt survives to prove the naysayers wrong. I truly believe no one could have come in and fixed this mess in less than two years.

Give Butch credit..He gave Dobbs a shot and Dobbs won games..When Dobbs left he was with Dormady and JG..Dormady had a bad shoulder.I think if he was healthy JG would have never saw the field..JG is not a winner..Its true freshman QBs in college football are light years ahead of JG and he is year 3..

Based on some recent books that have come out, we are lucky Butch didn’t get the university sued. His treatment of injured players was disgraceful and dangerous.

After two pages of reading, this last post wins.

I was all in with Butch until late in the 2016 season. He did really good in recruiting to start his time here, but it is obvious that he let the culture of the program go to !#$$$%@!#. Along with a total lack of conditioning, our team was allowed to fall into the snowflake mentality of expecting participation trophies. Not that the other numerals are wrong, but #3 all day long.

This is a big part of why Pruitt is taking so long to right the ship. It may not be completely fixed until all of the Butch players are gone. If Pruitt can survive this year, and have a decent recruiting class, I expect that we will be a good team next year. I know every one is tired of hearing "just wait till next year," but just get over it. We need the youth movement to continue.

Look, Pruitt is accustomed to championships. Yes, he would like to win every game, but the process is more important to him right now. It should be to us as well. Who cares if we lose more than we win, this year, if we win championships from here on out? It was not like we expected a championship this year anyway.

I hope Pruitt survives to prove the naysayers wrong. I truly believe no one could have come in and fixed this mess in less than two years.
It’s going to take longer to change the culture than to change the roster.

Reactions: i2amavol
Here was his record:

5-7
7-6
9-4
9-4
4-8

He actually beat Florida, Georgia 2x, South Carolina, and finished in the top 25 for two seasons. Granted Josh Dobbs was a HUGE part of that success but that 0-8 SEC finished was horrible. He definitely ended his career with a surprising thud. (I never expected Butch Jones to be fired until that 0-8 finished derailed everything).

However, Pruitt is making me wish we had retained Butch.

I feel that the turning point in Butch's career (and his biggest mistake) was the second 9-4 when we played South Carolina. Josh Dobbs was sick and he played him anyways. This ended up costing us the game and likely the SEC East. We didn't have enough depth to finish that season (we basically had the SEC East wrapped up at that point).

Then you had no clue what was going on behind the scenes or what he did to our culture.

Jones is a clown and anyone trying to spin his time here is doing so without proper knowledge of the situation.

I'm not down on Pruitt at this time, unless Mike Leach is available:) I think Pruitt is learning as a HC, and I also think he was handed some piss-poor personnel. That being said,.....

Stuff Pruitt can solve Now, and this is on Pruitt/staff.
1. Converting (Short yardage) - Needs a big back or needs to make adjustments. If BYU can stop them,....
2. Situational Awareness: End of 1st & 2nd half = terrible! Missed reads/assignments & blown coverage.

IMHO, stuff he will Not fix this year:
3. QB play - I believe Pruitt & staff really want this kid Bailey who enrolls January 1st. I think they are hesitant to do anything with the current Freshman, and will chalk them up as "not ready". Bailey will see a pathway to starting as a true freshman etc etc etc.
If they are willing to piss away this season in the hope they can win a high school boy's heart, they really are in over their heads.

Josh dobs should get the credit for a chunk of those wins not butch

These reply's I don't understand, yes Dobbs does gets the credit. I didn't like Butch but most the coaches that have great success (guess what) they have players with the IT factor. Look at Cam Newton . Auburn won 3 games the year before.That's why you recruit these guys like Tua. then bench the next best QB in the conference. Nobody says Saban only wins cause he has better players than the rest. When Saban didn't have these players his first year he was 7-6 and 5 of those were vacated later so really finished 2-11 per record books.
No matter who the coach is, to separate yourself , the QB has to be a IT guy. Imagine having Kelly Bryant and basically benching him for a Alpha QB. Now that's recruiting

Dobbs wasnt simply a "huge" part of that success. Hes the only reason Butch even made it to year 5. Dobbs was a rare CFB specimen. While you can certainly say Jennings and Kamara helped, I will never give Butch credit for winning 9 games twice Dobbs basically had to do it on his on.

These reply's I don't understand, yes Dobbs does gets the credit. I didn't like Butch but most the coaches that have great success (guess what) they have players with the IT factor. Look at Cam Newton . Auburn won 3 games the year before.That's why you recruit these guys like Tua. then bench the next best QB in the conference. Nobody says Saban only wins cause he has better players than the rest. When Saban didn't have these players his first year he was 7-6 and 5 of those were vacated later so really finished 2-11 per record books.
No matter who the coach is, to separate yourself , the QB has to be a IT guy. Imagine having Kelly Bryant and basically benching him for a Alpha QB. Now that's recruiting
Exactly. Chizik was not a good HC. Newton won Auburn the champ.

I never liked him but I thought he could be successful here. But imo his downfall was:
1. Didn’t really know much about football
2. Thought he knew more than anybody, specifically his coordinators
3. OL

Butch lost to ky...............................................................

note to Pruitt: Don't lose to ky

Butch had a few "good" seasons the only problem was we still underachieved, lost to Vanderbilt, and would be in the same shape now because of injuries, and under development and conditioning of players. Those seasons only happened because of the talent that was here not coaching. Butch ran a horrible offense masked by Dobbs.

Reactions: De La Cloobs
He had to have an injury to realize Dobbs was the best QB on the roster

Had to have a departure to realize Kamara was the best RB on the roster

Changed S&C coaches more than he changed his socks.

Lied when he was trying to cover stuff up. Sometimes he just lied to be lying

Had the worst offense in the history of organized football. He has a zone read where the QB was never allowed to read. So every running play was a slow developing dive play.

Minus Dobbs he doesn't last nearly as long as he did

Is Butch the one that ran Trevor Lawrence off? Also Kamara, played here and their it seems for us, maybe more than I'm implying but Gee Whizzz.... Rookie of the Year as soon as he leaves us in the NFL? Dont spill Saban's coffee Butch

Butch catches a lot of crap for how he handled Kamara, who left Alabama because he couldn’t see the field. Butch used him more than Saban did. Anyone know why he wasn’t used at Alabama?

Why didn’t he recruit a good quarterback, at least by his second class?
Well he has imo. Maurer and Bailey. You have to remember Dobbs rode the bench in favor of Worley under Jones. He didn't exactly light it up his first year either. I think Maurer is promising and Pruitt making the same mistake Jones did by favoring a less competent QB. Jury's out on that, we don't know what Pruitts plan is. Some think he's doing it so he doesn't lose Bailey. You know, one of the top qb recruits in his class. With that said, what makes you say Pruitt hasn't recruited a good QB?

Butch was good when he had Dobbs. If Pruitt has Dobbs, we walk away from last year with a couple more wins and we win our first two games this season. Dobbs made things happen
Pretty much. If Pruitt and staff were coaches of that team, I can only imagine all the losses that would've been wins. The Arky, Bama, OU, FL games come to mind. Butch was a terrible game day coach. It's refreshing to finally not be pissed about the play-calling every game. If only we had a competent QB and upperclassmen to lead the young talent.

Butch was a snake oil salesman. he Had an amazing athletic qb, that got him wins over UF and UGA and still couldn’t win the East. After that collapse it became clear to everyone, even the team he was too stuck in “his way” instead of doing what it took to win and that’s exactly why his last year went the way it did.

That’s also why we are where we are. We have another “system” coach when we need a coach that can take what he has and build a system around that. Tennessee isn’t gonna get the players Pruitt was used to at Bama UGA and FSU until he can win like they do and we can’t win by running a system that relies on top Talent when we have a roster full of mediocre talent and a few top talents.
That and losing Dobbs exposed him imo

F*** Butch Jones.

Was pissed when we hired him.

Over rated and inflated recruiting, along with the winning enough, increased his standing.

We had the worst bi-polar 2 year run I've ever seen. Start terrible, be down, come back miraculously steal games. Get lead, dominate, blow game.

F*** Butch Jones more for taking our money and being a glorified water boy earning less than the average median salary down in bama......yeah, f*** him.

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
Well he has imo. Maurer and Bailey. You have to remember Dobbs rode the bench in favor of Worley under Jones. He didn't exactly light it up his first year either. I think Maurer is promising and Pruitt making the same mistake Jones did by favoring a less competent QB. Jury's out on that, we don't know what Pruitts plan is. Some think he's doing it so he doesn't lose Bailey. You know, one of the top qb recruits in his class. With that said, what makes you say Pruitt hasn't recruited a good QB?
If he has recruited a good one, surely he’d have him out there by now. We see programs across the country that seem to be able to get young qbs ready.

What happens if Bailey comes in and is not ready for SEC play for 1 and maybe 2 years. Pruitt could be 4 full years in and still no giant gains? Does he play him at all costs even if it could kill his confidence, or play one of the current “not ready for prime time” players.

VN Store

Back