I need some advice for Thursday --- HELP

LordVOLdemort

Drive-By Expert
Hello Extended Vol Family,

I have a dilemma. So, I have tickets for Gary Allan Thursday night. The concert starts at 7:30, so you can see where this is going. My wife's favorite country artist of all time is Gary Allan. Does anyone know the how the cell reception is in the Civic Auditorium or if it has WiFi? I have to watch the game.

What are some good excuses I could use to get out of this concert, or do I just go and pray for a win?

Looking for funny and/or actual advice, Thanks in advance!

Here's an idea. Let her invite her girl friend to go with her. Give her an extra hundred bucks for drinks, etc., and arrange Uber to and from the concert. You plant that azz in front on the TV where it belongs. (This is pure fantasy for me. My wife would never buy it.)

You go to the ball game on TV, how ever.
She goes to the concert with a friend.
Easy enough....
If that don't work, you got a problem far beyond the ball game/ concert scenario.

Husband: "Honey, I'm going to drop you off at the door a little early so you can beat the crowd. I'll search for the best parking place nearby."
(Husband skulks off to the nearest sports bar for the duration of the game.)

Concert's over, husband picks up wife at the same place he dropped her off: "Sorry, Honey. I must have searched half the city for a parking space, but just could not find one. Guess we'll have to Uber next time."

If I remember correctly, there's a passage in the wedding vows that says, "Till death (or a Vol game) do us part."
If not, there should be.

Last edited:
It’s just the Sweet 16. I wouldn’t change plans for that. Just wait for the Elite 8 on Saturday cuz the boys are dancing all the way to Minneapolis! One fly, we all fly!

Reactions: LordVOLdemort
Hello Extended Vol Family,

I have a dilemma. So, I have tickets for Gary Allan Thursday night. The concert starts at 7:30, so you can see where this is going. My wife's favorite country artist of all time is Gary Allan. Does anyone know the how the cell reception is in the Civic Auditorium or if it has WiFi? I have to watch the game.

What are some good excuses I could use to get out of this concert, or do I just go and pray for a win?

Looking for funny and/or actual advice, Thanks in advance!
Pay attention to what your wife wants / is doing. Check the score after the game, your actions during it will not change the outcome.

Here's an idea. Let her invite her girl friend to go with her. Give her an extra hundred bucks for drinks, etc., and arrange Uber to and from the concert. You plant that azz in front on the TV where it belongs. (This is pure fantasy for me. My wife would never buy it.)

This is solid. However, it would not work. She's too smart for this ploy and would think I was going to buy another gun or expensive toy.

Reactions: dono
Or do this

I bet this Gary Allen fella is going to be pissed off knowing he is having a concert the same time the game is going on in Knoxville. That place is going to be the opposite of packed. You should have perfect reception lol.

I used to majorly stress over situations like this. Now, I just DVR the game, notify all friends/family that might possibly text me any spoilers, stay away from any media (radio on the way home/facebook), and then sit and watch it when you get home.

And TBH, it's really not a bad way to watch games. You get to skip commercials, halftime, and timeouts. You can usually make it through the game in about an hour.

I used to majorly stress over situations like this. Now, I just DVR the game, notify all friends/family that might possibly text me any spoilers, stay away from any media (radio on the way home/facebook), and then sit and watch it when you get home.

And TBH, it's really not a bad way to watch games. You get to skip commercials, halftime, and timeouts. You can usually make it through the game in about an hour.
This is an awesome idea, but idk how people do this lol. I don't have the will power for it. I have to know.

You go to the ball game on TV, how ever.
She goes to the concert with a friend.
Easy enough....
If that don't work, you got a problem far beyond the ball game/ concert scenario.

How does "my wife wanting me to go to her favorite concert with her over one of her friends" translate into us having a problem far beyond this? We enjoy doing things together and separately.

Reactions: dono
This is solid. However, it would not work. She's too smart for this ploy and would think I was going to buy another gun or expensive toy.
Sounds like my wife who wanted proof I was at the bar and not off raiding book stores. (A looong time ago.)

my daughter's 3rd bday is on Saturday, 2pm-4pm...if we win Thursday the elite 8 game is played that day. Any ideas when that game would tip?

Sounds like your decision is already made and you're going to the concert. You could try to turn phone off and DVR the game to watch fresh when you get home. However, the chances of not hearing the outcome prior to getting home are slim. If your wife isn't cool with you sending someone else to the concert in your stead, she's probably not going to be too keen on you streaming it at the concert. So... I would be score checking whenever I got a chance, and then based on the outcome you'll know if you should watch it later. It will actually be a lot less stressful that way.

If we make it to Saturday though, and you've skipped a sweet 16 game to be with your wife and do what she wants to do, it needs to be an official Jake Tate day on Saturday. Whatever Jake wants to do, Jake gets to do.

This is an awesome idea, but idk how people do this lol. I don't have the will power for it. I have to know.

It's not as bad as you's think. With that said, I've never had to do this on a game of this significance.

I just have 4 kids and my wife (and I honestly don't blame her) was getting pretty frustrated my "nothing comes before UT football/basketball" mentality so I had no choice but to come up with an alternative. And, like I said, it's really not a bad way to watch the games. Plus, usually by the time I get to sit and watch the games, my wife and kids are in bed. So I don't have to worry about constantly being disturbed.

my daughter's 3rd bday is on Saturday, 2pm-4pm...if we win Thursday the elite 8 game is played that day. Any ideas when that game would tip?

You'll be fine. Games typically are at 6:00pm and 9:00pm on Elite 8 Saturday. Probably 95% chance we're at 6:00 as the other game will be in Anaheim that day.

Reactions: MKvolunteer

VN Store

Back