I must be watching a different team

volfan2024

“Wanna play ball scarecrow “
All this talk about playing our best qb I understand but Nico goes in he needs to pass basically every down. We are about to get steam-rolled in the SEC with our passive no confidence passing attack. Pass downfield, throw some interceptions, learn.....................get better , much tougher games coming up. Kind of like telling a pitcher to throw strikes every pitch without practicing learning on the field.

Are we the only team that doesn't run slants, post routes, deep slants, and corner routes? Along with some reverses, etc?

Seems like all we run are screens, bubble screens, and fly routes. We are getting very predictable on offense. I know our offensive line isn't as strong as it was last year. Just trying to figure out if it's Milton or a Heupel/Halzle issue.

Are we the only team that doesn't run slants, post routes, deep slants, and corner routes? Along with some reverses, etc?

Seems like all we run are screens, bubble screens, and fly routes. We are getting very predictable on offense. I know our offensive line isn't as strong as it was last year. Just trying to figure out if it's Milton or a Heupel/Halzle issue.
I just posted this very thing in another feed. Joe is not thorwing the 7 yd out or the 12 yd comeback, or the TE down the seam. I do not think Heupel feels he can make those throws and is calling (or having called) a very vanilla gameplan for Joe. It is going to start costing us games as defenses are going to go 2 high safety to take away those deep routes and make Joe and the running game beat them.

Reactions: VolRage and 901Vol
I just posted this very thing in another feed. Joe is not thorwing the 7 yd out or the 12 yd comeback, or the TE down the seam. I do not think Heupel feels he can make those throws and is calling (or having called) a very vanilla gameplan for Joe. It is going to start costing us games as defenses are going to go 2 high safety to take away those deep routes and make Joe and the running game beat them.
UTSA jumped one of those WR screens. You can count on an SEC opponent doing it and getting one at some point.

All this talk about playing our best qb I understand but Nico goes in he needs to pass basically every down. We are about to get steam-rolled in the SEC with our passive no confidence passing attack. Pass downfield, throw some interceptions, learn.....................get better , much tougher games coming up. Kind of like telling a pitcher to throw strikes every pitch without practicing learning on the field.
Steamrolled? You realize the rest of the league isn't very good right?

They’re calling plays the Milton might get lucky on.

Seems we have said the same thing many times over the last 2 or 3 regimes. I don’t get it.

Steamrolled? You realize the rest of the league isn't very good right?
That's cope. UGA, Alabama, and TAMU will be losses if we dont figure something out fast. And it's not just because of our offense. The poor tackling and mental mistakes reared their ugly heads again yesterday.

I really do not like the makeup of this team at all and find them frustrating to watch, even when we're winning. I do not like how we play. I do not like our lack of focus/intensity at times and, frankly, we look kind of soft. We look like a team that went through a very soft fall camp. Too many misses tackles. Too many lapses in judgement/mental mistakes. Too many lulls in our game where we seem to take series/quarters off and other than Sampson and Bru, we seem to have no playmakers on this team.

Man, GBO and all that but after 4 games, this team is kind of a slog to watch.

Last edited:
You take what the defense is giving you. We threw several deep passes yesterday. One the throw was short, two the timing was off due to the defense holding our receivers. I don't believe we have had a ref throw a flag on this all year. I don't think the refs like running up and down the field as fast as we want to go. JMHO We run the bubble screen more than I would like to see. But, CJH looks at it as an extension of our run game.

Florida’s offense is terrible, but I think it’s becoming pretty clear their defense is a lot better than our fans are willing to give them credit for. At least based on what I have seen through 4 games. That could change.
I mean, they lost to Utah. I don’t see how anyone could say Florida was a bad team based off a single game.

Reactions: Big Orange in Bama
Florida’s offense is terrible, but I think it’s becoming pretty clear their defense is a lot better than our fans are willing to give them credit for. At least based on what I have seen through 4 games. That could change.
Well they did hold McNeese and Charlotte to just 7 points, so there's that.

Reactions: TikiVol
That's cope. UGA, Alabama, and TAMU will be losses if we dont figure something out fast. And it's not just because of our offense. The poor tackling and mental mistakes reared their ugly heads again yesterday.

I really do not like the makeup of this team at all and find them frustrating to watch, even when we're winning. I do not like how we play. I do not like our lack of focus/intensity at times and, frankly, we look kind of soft. We look like a team that went through a very soft fall camp. Too many misses tackles. To many lapses in judgement/mental mistakes. Too many lulls in our game where we seem to take series/quarters off and other than Sampson and Bru, we seem to have no playmakers on this team.

Man, GBO and all that but after 4 games, this team is kind of a slog to watch.
I completely agree with the soft fall camp. I know injuries are a big fear due to the roster we have and the lack of seasoned depth, but this is a physical sport. We do play soft. Just not a very physical bunch at all. Gotta be honest. In addition to the teams you mention, I have serious concerns with both USC and UK. USC has a great QB and that alone gives me real concern considering our awful secondary. UK is a snake in the weeds. That game is set up so damned perfectly for them.

This group is clearly still finding their way and it is going to be an up and down season. Funny thing is, if Milton can hit on even a couple of those 4-5 wide open slants and seam patterns that Heupel's scheme creates nearly every game, it's a different ball game. I'm not ready to say he cannot do it like so many here, but those are the plays that will go a long way in whether this is a 9-3 or a 7-5 team.

But more importantly is cleaning up the silly mistakes - penalties and plays like that special teams gaffe - and the missed tackles that keep the defense on the field. Taking care of fundamentals like those will prevent the reliance on Milton to be perfect, which he is not and never will be.

This was always going to be a transition year, as last season was way ahead of schedule. We are still thin at too many key spots, as we see on the OL and defensive backfield. Cleaning up some of the fundamental errors and getting the OL back to a semblance of what it was last year would make Milton look a hell of a lot better.

I'll say this too, I'm not very thrilled with CJH's sideline demeanor, especially when it comes to his interaction with the refs. I would've gotten a 15 yard penalty or thrown out of the game if my QB nearly got his head twisted off and no flag was thrown. Same with that ball kicking incident at Florida when it was a crucial 4th and 1 and they were allowed to substitute.. I would been on the field, screaming at that ref instead of just standing there with my arms out, looking confused. There are times when you have to fight for your team and put your foot up the official's ass.

I mean, they lost to Utah. I don’t see how anyone could say Florida was a bad team based off a single game.
It remains to be seen, but I think they're a 5 loss team. Charlotte basically played them as well as we did. They held them under 400 yards, had 3 sacks and limited UF to 2 field goals in the second half.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
This group is clearly still finding their way and it is going to be an up and down season. Funny thing is, if Milton can hit on even a couple of those 4-5 wide open slants and seam patterns that Heupel's scheme creates nearly every game, it's a different ball game. I'm not ready to say he cannot do it like so many here, but those are the plays that will go a long way in whether this is a 9-3 or a 7-5 team.

But more importantly is cleaning up the silly mistakes - penalties and plays like that special teams gaffe - and the missed tackles that keep the defense on the field. Taking care of fundamentals like those will prevent the reliance on Milton to be perfect, which he is not and never will be.

This was always going to be a transition year, as last season was way ahead of schedule. We are still thin at too many key spots, as we see on the OL and defensive backfield. Cleaning up some of the fundamental errors and getting the OL back to a semblance of what it was last year would make Milton look a hell of a lot better.
I've started to rethink the whole "transition" season thing. I knew there'd be a drop off, but right now, I see another long year next season unless we crush it in the portral. Much tougher schedule. No answers that I see coming on the OL. We'll have new names in the secondary, but they'll be greener than 4 week old bread. Nico won't have the luxury of playing behind a veteran SEC caliber OL with guys like Hyatt and Tillman to throw to. We're gonna be young and thin. Not a good combo in this league especially starting next season with OU and Texas joining.

I've started to rethink the whole "transition" season thing. I knew there'd be a drop off, but right now, I see another long year next season unless we crush it in the portral. Much tougher schedule. No answers that I see coming on the OL. We'll have new names in the secondary, but they'll be greener than 4 week old bread. Nico won't have the luxury of playing behind a veteran SEC caliber OL with guys like Hyatt and Tillman to throw to. We're gonna be young and thin.Not a good combo in this league especially starting next season with OU and Texas joining.
And that's inexcusable for a staff in their 4th year. If you're young and thin going into your 4th season, you've failed both on the recruiting trail and in development.

I'll say this too, I'm not very thrilled with CJH's sideline demeanor, especially when it comes to his interaction with the refs. I would've gotten a 15 yard penalty or thrown out of the game if my QB nearly got his head twisted off and no flag was thrown. Same with that ball kicking incident at Florida when it was a crucial 4th and 1 and they were allowed to substitute.. I would been on the field, screaming at that ref instead of just standing there with my arms out, looking confused. There are times when you have to fight for your team and put your foot up the official's ass.

Not sure where you’re coming from with this, but if you watch closely Heupel actually interacts with the refs quite a bit. I would estimate that over half of the times he’s complaining about a bad call against us or a non-call against the other team. And while his mannerisms may not be as exaggerated as you think they should be, I feel pretty certain he’s letting them know exactly how he feels. I think with the Nico facemask tackle he was to the point of exasperation, holding his arms out in the gesture of “How in the #$@&! do you miss that call?”

So you would have gotten a 15 yard penalty on a 4th and 1 from inside the 10 yard line ? Dang wish you were our coach…

As long as we have open TDs in the passing game who cares? We left 3 or 4 TDs on the field last night because Joe missed them. Seems to me they are dialing up a bunch of TDs

Reactions: Smokey19rt
Not sure where you’re coming from with this, but if you watch closely Heupel actually interacts with the refs quite a bit. I would estimate that over half of the times he’s complaining about a bad call against us or a non-call against the other team. And while his mannerisms may not be as exaggerated as you think they should be, I feel pretty certain he’s letting them know exactly how he feels. I think with the Nico facemask tackle he was to the point of exasperation, holding his arms out in the gesture of “How in the #$@&! do you miss that call?”
Maybe TV broadcasts just aren't showing it enough but CJH always seems passive to me. I would have crawled all up that ref's backside over that missed face mask. That was egregious!

VN Store

Back