I missed the O&W game, had a good excuse

Have you ever attended? I said the same thing until I actually went to a PGA Tour event

I normally don't do things I don't want to do, if I have a choice. :)

Seriously, I have no desire to. Maybe that'll change, but I don't see it. Many other things I dislike less Ill give in and try first.

I quit playing in August of 2005 on the 9th green at Deadhorse with sweat literally running off the brim of my hat and hitting the ball. It just wasn't worth it anymore. I absolutely love watching it. This Masters was awesome. Would love to go one day!

I went twice with a friend and decided unless I was gonna try to make a living playing, I didn't need to play a third time. Never played again.

A couple of takeaways from my first Masters-
  1. Didn't get gouged. A fellow that was on my high school wrestling team had his name picked in 1999 from a waiting list lottery. He gets them every year. 4 days worth of tickets. Years ago, I said if you ever don't want to go, let me know. This year ( and it was really out of the blue it seemed) offered me the Sat/Sun rounds for double what he paid for them. Someone else got the Thurs/Friday rounds. My deep pockets were $187.50 per day for me.
  2. Cell phones and cameras banned during the main rounds. You won't make it through security so don't try. Thoughts.. Wow, people didn't have their head in there screens all day. Pretty dang refreshing. You could actually carry on a conversation, AND.. there is a bank of "land lines" you can call anyone free, if you needed to call. Tough if you get separated from your group though. Like when I was a kid at 6 flags "If we get separated, meet at the waterfountain". Pre cellphone people don't even know that trick. It really dawned on me how wonderful it is to, just for a day, get away from the cell phones.
  3. No real pecking order or class envy in the crowd.. Nobody has skyboxes, or expensive seats.. Makes everyone equal. You bring a chair (no arms) and when you get there in the morning, put your chair at your favorite location (many to choose from). The beauty of it is this - you can just leave it. Walk around all day. If you see an empty chair, you can sit in it, until the other person comes back. During that time, someone may be sitting in your chair. Same with the grandstands.. People coming and going all day there. Sit an hour or so in Amen corner and move on.
  4. Food and concessions amazingly efficient and reasonable price. Two beers and a couple of sandwiches and a moonpie came to about $12. Line moves fast.
  5. Free parking, and good traffic flow in and out.
  6. Incredibly friendly and helpful staff and many people working the venue. Everyone I talked to or asked questions was so dang friendly.
  7. Like the no cell phone thing, the Leader board (and there are many of them) is old school. A guy behind it updating the numbers almost in real time. Kind of nice to NOT have any electronics. I was on the 14th tee box Sunday and could watch the leader board and see how the last group with Tiger in it was making the rounds.
  8. It was like being in a botanical garden with people hitting golf balls around.
So much for all that. It was my first time. Got to say, it exceeded my expectations, and trust me, that rarely happens. The guy I got the tickets from didn't think Tiger would even make the cut. This one ended up being an epic masters due to Tiger, plus the compressed Sunday due to the weather. Now I just need to watch the O&W replay and get my head back around UT football!
#8 is a great way of describing it for someone who has never been before. I tell people around Masters time every year that it doesn't matter if you know nothing about golf, don't care about golf, etc., that everybody needs to go there once in their life if they get the chance to. Occasionally someone will respond "Why? Isn't it just a really nice golf course?" but that will help them understand.

Reactions: ptcarter and MocVol
#8 is a great way of describing it for someone who has never been before. I tell people around Masters time every year that it doesn't matter if you know nothing about golf, don't care about golf, etc., that everybody needs to go there once in their life if they get the chance to. Occasionally someone will respond "Why? Isn't it just a really nice golf course?" but that will help them understand.
The fairways are nicer than any green I've ever played on. And there are acres of fairways. Azaleas, Huge pine trees. Rhododendrons, Mountain Laurel, not a twig out of place. I'm going to try and go back.

It looks nice on TV, but in person, pretty overwhelming. Got to say though, the Azaleas peaked about a week early this year. Most of the blooms were on the ground.

Reactions: MocVol

Seriously, I have no desire to. Maybe that'll change, but I don't see it. Many other things I dislike less Ill give in and try first.

I went twice with a friend and decided unless I was gonna try to make a living playing, I didn't need to play a third time. Never played again.
I actually began in 1989. I played nearly as bad in 2005 as I did in 1989. I can take a flyrod and put any fly pretty much anywhere you want me to.....I cannot swing a golf club.

Reactions: Seattle Hillbilly

Only reason I went is that they had free tix for military. I’d like to try to go to one again.

Perfect example of my post. Good job

T'weren't my fault. Geraldine Jones introduced me to "that" fend of hers and he provoked me.
1f608.png

A couple of takeaways from my first Masters-
  1. Didn't get gouged. A fellow that was on my high school wrestling team had his name picked in 1999 from a waiting list lottery. He gets them every year. 4 days worth of tickets. Years ago, I said if you ever don't want to go, let me know. This year ( and it was really out of the blue it seemed) offered me the Sat/Sun rounds for double what he paid for them. Someone else got the Thurs/Friday rounds. My deep pockets were $187.50 per day for me.
  2. Cell phones and cameras banned during the main rounds. You won't make it through security so don't try. Thoughts.. Wow, people didn't have their head in there screens all day. Pretty dang refreshing. You could actually carry on a conversation, AND.. there is a bank of "land lines" you can call anyone free, if you needed to call. Tough if you get separated from your group though. Like when I was a kid at 6 flags "If we get separated, meet at the waterfountain". Pre cellphone people don't even know that trick. It really dawned on me how wonderful it is to, just for a day, get away from the cell phones.
  3. No real pecking order or class envy in the crowd.. Nobody has skyboxes, or expensive seats.. Makes everyone equal. You bring a chair (no arms) and when you get there in the morning, put your chair at your favorite location (many to choose from). The beauty of it is this - you can just leave it. Walk around all day. If you see an empty chair, you can sit in it, until the other person comes back. During that time, someone may be sitting in your chair. Same with the grandstands.. People coming and going all day there. Sit an hour or so in Amen corner and move on.
  4. Food and concessions amazingly efficient and reasonable price. Two beers and a couple of sandwiches and a moonpie came to about $12. Line moves fast.
  5. Free parking, and good traffic flow in and out.
  6. Incredibly friendly and helpful staff and many people working the venue. Everyone I talked to or asked questions was so dang friendly.
  7. Like the no cell phone thing, the Leader board (and there are many of them) is old school. A guy behind it updating the numbers almost in real time. Kind of nice to NOT have any electronics. I was on the 14th tee box Sunday and could watch the leader board and see how the last group with Tiger in it was making the rounds.
  8. It was like being in a botanical garden with people hitting golf balls around.
So much for all that. It was my first time. Got to say, it exceeded my expectations, and trust me, that rarely happens. The guy I got the tickets from didn't think Tiger would even make the cut. This one ended up being an epic masters due to Tiger, plus the compressed Sunday due to the weather. Now I just need to watch the O&W replay and get my head back around UT football!
One of my good friends owns the steel manufacturer that built all the scoreboards at the masters.

Reactions: ptcarter
I'd rather watch paint dry on a wall of water than watch golf.
Tiger Woods deserves the accolades, but it's much more interesting reading about his string of ho's (and his wife clubbing him with a nine iron) than about his golf game.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Great stuff...I'm starting to think about that bucket list thing as well. Never tried to get tickets for the Masters. Do you have to have serious connections or just serious deep pockets? Probably both.
Prob both and you also have to enter a ticket lottery or something of that nature

I'd rather watch paint dry on a wall of water than watch golf.
Tiger Woods deserves the accolades, but it's much more interesting reading about his string of ho's (and his wife clubbing him with a nine iron) than about his golf game.

Never saw a more fitting username

VN Store

Back