I love our freshmen class

teacherdean

I love this freshman class the more I see them play. Puckett has cooled off but she has a ton of potential. Once Striplin got a chance to show what she can do she looked really good. Myles has been doing a good job on defense most of the year and I believe that Wynn has showed us that she has the stuff to play at the D1 level. When I saw what they did against Kentucky when they were on the floor together I was pleasantly surprised. These ladies just do not back down. It appears to me that KJH knew what she was doing when she recruited these young ladies. No they are not a class full of five stars but these ladies deserve to play at the D1 level.

Last edited:
To me, the best characteristic of this freshman class is that they ALL have a very, very high bball IQ. They always play within themselves and really don't make a lot of mistakes. Brooklyn straight up plays like a boss senior guard at times. Love this class. If this is a sample of what type of players Kellie is looking for, we will be back at the top...regardless of how many stars appear beside their high school ranking.

Not to mention,,Striplin may be the last to have a freshman bloom,,but something tells me it will be an important one and a significant one.
Coach, Striplin is a warrior in the paint. She has power, desire and toughness. I believe that she is a force and a headache that will have to be dealt with by the opposition. I am glad that she is on our side. I hope that she gets the post coaching she deserves to reach her full potential. Add Powell to the mix, perhaps getting Rickea Jackson, an incoming top ten recruit, along with TK, Horston, Suarez, and Walker this team could be really special during the upcoming year. We should not leave out Darby. Her defense has improved since the beginning of the year. The only thing she needs to do is develop the confidence to shoot over tight defenses. I would like to somehow add another post player.

Back in march I posted:
Their games are very different,,,,Striplin is all about the smarts-game, she moves to opportunistic or forseeable openings and takes advantage of them, she boxes out like a boxer, excellent passer for drop=passes, cutters and hi-Lo,, she has a an excellent mid-range game and she can finish with either hand and is not afraid of contact.

Puckett is more about matchups and physicality,,,great long range and mid range game, good driver, but not the overall inside presence of Karoline, more speed than you would think and if an enforcer IS needed, she is capable

Factor in Justine and throw in the speed that "Kaiya the Flya" will bring(Note:, most don't remember but when Kaiya took the Pandemic-summer off she went from 23 to 62) She has only gotten stronger and better...She is to me, the steal of this class,,,...I do think we need a top-five post to go along with Justine though

Miles wasn't in my view at that time....But she too is a great pickup.

Fair class, decent class. They're Vols, so I'll give them some benefit of the doubt, but certainly not a great class in terms of
overall talent.

I love this freshman class the more I see them play. Puckett has cooled off but she has a ton of potential. Once Striplin got a chance to show what she can do she looked really good. Myles has been doing a good job on defense most of the year and I believe that Wynn has showed us that she has the stuff to play at the D1 level. When I saw what they did against Kentucky when they were on the floor together I was presently surprised. These ladies just do not back down. It appears to me that KJH knew what she was doing when she recruited these young ladies. No they are not a class full of five stars but these ladies deserve to play at the D1 level.

I often become flustered by this problem. Win now at the cost of living with some of the shortcomings of youngsters or live with the "time" element of becoming a strong sustaining program. I know and I am right in the middle of the win know boat. But when I see things like we are confronted with right now, I wish we had had and been able to live with the "long term approach. Yes we should have played these young (what look to be faster and stronger) ladies more early on. Nothing beats experience learned under fire. We now have another thing to worry about when good talent doesn't get on the floor, the transfer portal. There are programs out there who are and do build for the long haul. I know, Kellie seems to be on the long haul building bus, but WE the fans(as a whole) want the program to be where Pat had it after she worked for what, 8-10 years.

To me, the best characteristic of this freshman class is that they ALL have a very, very high bball IQ. They always play within themselves and really don't make a lot of mistakes. Brooklyn straight up plays like a boss senior guard at times. Love this class. If this is a sample of what type of players Kellie is looking for, we will be back at the top...regardless of how many stars appear beside their high school ranking.

Sorry to say this but I wish we could have had this type of point guard this season...

Coach, Striplin is a warrior in the paint. She has power, desire and toughness. I believe that she is a force and a headache that will have to be dealt with by the opposition. I am glad that she is on our side. I hope that she gets the post coaching she deserves to reach her full potential. Add Powell to the mix, perhaps getting Rickea Jackson, an incoming top ten recruit, along with TK, Horston, Suarez, and Walker this team could be really special during the upcoming year. We should not leave out Darby. Her defense has improved since the beginning of the year. The only thing she needs to do is develop the confidence to shoot over tight defenses. I would like to somehow add another post player.

DON'T WANT MUCH DO YOU??

Fair class, decent class. They're Vols, so I'll give them some benefit of the doubt, but certainly not a great class in terms of
overall talent.
And what freshman class this season have you seen that's more talented? We aren't going by rankings coming out of high school but what you have actually seen in person or on television.

I often become flustered by this problem. Win now at the cost of living with some of the shortcomings of youngsters or live with the "time" element of becoming a strong sustaining program. I know and I am right in the middle of the win know boat. But when I see things like we are confronted with right now, I wish we had had and been able to live with the "long term approach. Yes we should have played these young (what look to be faster and stronger) ladies more early on. Nothing beats experience learned under fire. We now have another thing to worry about when good talent doesn't get on the floor, the transfer portal. There are programs out there who are and do build for the long haul. I know, Kellie seems to be on the long haul building bus, but WE the fans(as a whole) want the program to be where Pat had it after she worked for what, 8-10 years.

Number one and foremost, there will be only one Pat Summitt. The other thing to consider is it takes more than three years, with few exceptions, to rebuild a viable program when it has been allowed to go South. Look at Louisiana Tech, Texas Tech, Old Dominion, etc. In addition, look at how long it took to rebuild the Texas program. These were great women basketball programs before they went South. All of these teams have gone through several coaches trying to revive their NCAA mojo. Texas is there but the others are not.

Considering the direction this program was headed, I believe that KJH has done a good job reviving the program. There is still a lot of work to be done. She has the right tools, she just needs to add additional pieces to the arsenal. A lot will be determine by her 23-24 recruiting. She is not fully there but certainly seems to be headed in the right direction. We just need to give her a chance.

I think Puckett is going to be a really good mid-range post up stretch four. Experience will make her better and look for a huge jump from her next season. Wynn is a player that could shoot 8 to 10 free throws a game she can get to the line. Of course she has to be able to make them. 38 attempts in her limited minutes is impressive. Certainly Miles has given very productive minutes. Karoline getting more playing time has shown some ability to score in the post and hit the mid-range. I like all four of them contributing much more next season.

Not to mention,,Striplin may be the last to have a freshman bloom,,but something tells me it will be an important one and a significant one.
I think the problem with Striplin was speed and footwork as she wasn't ready for the speed of college basketball so her playing time was limited because of that

VN Store

Back