I like Bob (duck and cover)

I honestly think am he’s doing better since we’ve been winning. He’s like the rest of us - it’s hard to be cheerful when your team is making stupid mistakes. There’s a couple of things I will never LIKE - but was thinking today before I read this he’s not SO bad. Yes he should be a HOMER for the Vols. The other fan base can listen to their own guys - and I think he has mostly tried to call a more neutral game thru the years.

Hating on Bob is just the cool thing to do unfortunately
I'm thinking this is true. Like I said, i listened hard today during the 1st quarter and he nailed ball position on field, distance/down, clock, description. Folks just have a gut feeling about preference on some things and minds won't change. chocolate or vanilla? Night or day? Spring or fall? Golf or fish?

And that's OK.

I'm thinking this is true. Like I said, i listened hard today during the 1st quarter and he nailed ball position on field, distance/down, clock, description. Folks just have a gut feeling about preference on some things and minds won't change. chocolate or vanilla? Night or day? Spring or fall? Golf or fish?

And that's OK.

I get that people think he’s too neutral, but he’s far from a bad radio guy.

It also makes me laugh when people beg for Mike Keith, dude regularly gets things wrong and jumps the gun on penalty calls before the ref makes the call.

Not that I don’t like Mike Keith, but he has just as many faults as Kesling does

To go from John Ward to Bob is like going from The Sugar Bowl to the Liberty Bowl.

It’s been 23 years. John Ward is a legend and no one will ever compare to him. I make Cheggar Board jokes but Bob is not that bad. He’s no JW but he is better than most other radio guys I’ve heard.

Would love to have Mike Kieth but again, Bob is still better than most.

Bob is better than most? That's gotta be booze talking.

Was listening to radio broadcast of high school playoffs Friday and those guys were light years better than Bumbles.

Is there any place on the internet where Vol Network broadcasts are archived? I've searched and don't find.

Did Bob run away with your girl or something?
Nice response.

I'm simply a fan who feels TN deserves much better than below average mediocrity. It's been 23+ years of hearing the wrong names called (I heard he did it again today), not knowing the actual play, not giving accurate down and distance, not giving game time, being incredibly bland, mispronouncing "Checkerboards", etc. Most humans get better at something the more they do it.

Judging by the vast majority of folks on the board, I'm not an isolated fan either.

Nice response.

I'm simply a fan who feels TN deserves much better than below average mediocrity. It's been 23+ years of hearing the wrong names called (I heard he did it again today), not knowing the actual play, not giving accurate down and distance, not giving game time, being incredibly bland, mispronouncing "Checkerboards", etc. Most humans get better at something the more they do it.

Judging by the vast majority of folks on the board, I'm not an isolated fan either.

So, yes he did

It’s been 23 years. John Ward is a legend and no one will ever compare to him. I make Cheggar Board jokes but Bob is not that bad. He’s no JW but he is better than most other radio guys I’ve heard.

Would love to have Mike Kieth but again, Bob is still better than most.
Respectfully disagree, friend. Bob is that bad.

Reactions: PandamoniumReigns
Nice response.

I started this thread because I have listened to Bob and team often and like his style. I know others disagree and that's OK. We all have different tastes.

You gave a list in a previous post of specific items where you felt Bob failed. I listened to the 1st quarter and in my opinion, Bob and Pat did a great job. I challenge you to please listen to todays broadcast and point out where you feel Bob fails. Oh, a person could be picked apart on little nits over the course of live broadcast but generally Bob does a great job and he's a VFL.

I started this thread because I have listened to Bob and team often and like his style. I know others disagree and that's OK. We all have different tastes.

You gave a list in a previous post of specific items where you felt Bob failed. I listened to the 1st quarter and in my opinion, Bob and Pat did a great job. I challenge you to please listen to todays broadcast and point out where you feel Bob fails. Oh, a person could be picked apart on little nits over the course of live broadcast but generally Bob does a great job and he's a VFL.

I respect your post. I was watching highlights with Bob's call ....he called Hookers first TD pass a completion to Keyton. Then his infamous "check that" came and he had to correct it to Fant.

I also don't feel he's a good example of a VFL. A VFL would show some consistent excitement over TNs explosive plays. He shows more excitement for the opposing team.

I respect your post. I was watching highlights with Bob's call ....he called Hookers first TD pass a completion to Keyton. Then his infamous "check that" came and he had to correct it to Fant.

I also don't feel he's a good example of a VFL. A VFL would show some consistent excitement over TNs explosive plays. He shows more excitement for the opposing team.

You and I will continue to disagree and go back and forth like a couple of brothers. 😀 I really have no stake in Bob. The dislike of Bob is just a point of curious to me. As you rightly point out, many are in your camp.

There's times I'm away from a TV and I'm thankful for the Vol Network and the work they do.

There's times I'm away from a TV and I'm thankful for the Vol Network and the work they do.

This /\

A lot of this nonsense dates back to 1999 when Kesling took over as Voice of the Vols. People with no lives were upset that Bob was Not John Ward.

Before that they were upset that Ward was Not George Mooney.

And before that they were oinking that Mooney was Not Lindsey Nelson.

Personally. I'd like to see any of those clowns do a better job behind the Vol Network microphone.

Younger Son&Heir used to call football and basketball games on the student radio station at the University of Dayton. I've never heard him say anything derogatory about Kesling. He knows what it takes.

Back in 2010, CharterVol and I found ourselves sitting in the John Ward Broadcast Center for the Ole Miss game. Afterwards, I wrote this:
"I hereby withdraw, and sincerely apologize for, ALL criticism I have ever issued of Bob Kesling's efforts as Voice of the Vols. Having now seen first-hand the sheer volume of information, cues, stats, trivia, background info and PSA-type stuff that flashes before Bob during a broadcast, I decided that if it were I or anyone I know in that seat we'd be lucky to get the words “Vol Network” right, let alone the down, distance, lineups, and wind direction. Absolutely amazing."

I stand by that.

VN Store

Back