I keep seeing this mentioned about the offense

Defense is going to be on the field a lot due to Heupel's offense.

Uh...Am I missing something here?

Did we not have enough 3-and-outs over the last several years that *any* offense would be an improvement?

Yep... I don't really like that line of thought because all the best teams right now have high-power offenses that can score quickly. Georgia might be the lone exception that still has a defensive philosophy, but even when their offense has an off day they don't look like a top-tier team.

Reactions: 08Vol and mvolfan
Let's just hope there are some linebackers in the portal that we can grab. If not some really good ones at least some for depth. There is hardly enough ILBs to practice with.

Reactions: VAVol85

Did we not have enough 3-and-outs over the last several years that *any* offense would be an improvement?
I think this offense will result in more possessions for both teams. From that standpoint, opponents will have more offensive plays. But I agree that we had our share of 3 and outs... we just took more time in between the plays in the past.

The risk in what Heupel wants to do is in "fast" 3 and outs. As long as drives score points then the opposing O's offensive choices dwindle.

Fulmer vs Spurrier in most of their games makes a good example. Fulmer wanted to run the ball, grind it out, play good D, and manage the game. Spurrier wanted to get a lead and keep the pressure on. When he was able to do that... it took UT out of their comfort zone and gameplan. You can't keep "pounding the rock" and punting when you're behind by 21.

The risk in what Heupel wants to do is in "fast" 3 and outs. As long as drives score points then the opposing O's offensive choices dwindle.

Fulmer vs Spurrier in most of their games makes a good example. Fulmer wanted to run the ball, grind it out, play good D, and manage the game. Spurrier wanted to get a lead and keep the pressure on. When he was able to do that... it took UT out of their comfort zone and gameplan. You can't keep "pounding the rock" and punting when you're behind by 21.
UF was the only team we played with equal or even near peer strength and depth. Another gameplan was needed. It worked in 98 and 01. Outcoached the other seasons of the Spurrier era after the Schuler game.

Dirty secret was... Spurrier was actually running it a lot closer than you think to 50% of the time. We definitely ran it more than they did, but we were only throwing it about 4 or 5 times less per game.

Reactions: Samthebam and sjt18

We didn’t have as many 3 and outs as some want to believe

Last edited:
Reactions: igotworms
Dirty secret was... Spurrier was actually running it a lot closer than you think to 50% of the time. We definitely ran it more than they did, but we were only throwing it about 4 or 5 times less per game.

Depended to some extent on Florida's players in any given year, but they were typically more pass-heavy than that.

That last season Spurrier was there (2001), was very pass-heavy with Rex Grossman. Probably about 480 passing attempts and maybe 280 rushing attempts (I estimate b/c NCAA dosen't differentiate between QB runs and sacks). So about a 63 / 37 pass / run ratio.

Similar deal in 2000. About 475 passes, and 290 runs.

1996 championship team was around 450 passes and 365 runs. So maybe 56 / 44 pass / run.

What I remember most about Florida's running game under Spurrier was how difficult it was to stop because they forced you to focus on the passing game so much, that it became very easy for their RBs to eat up big chunks of yardage when they did run.

There is a big difference for your D when your going taking the field after a 3 & out and punting vs going 5-6 plays and out and you scored a TD. D has a totally different mentality taking the field in the 2 scenarios. I will take the 2nd one all day.

There is a big difference for your D when your going taking the field after a 3 & out and punting vs going 5-6 plays and out and you scored a TD. D has a totally different mentality taking the field in the 2 scenarios. I will take the 2nd one all day.

Last year, the offense often played so badly that I thought they caused the defense to give up trying hard. If Huepel's offense gives the guys something to play for, like actual hope of winning the game, I think we'll see a more robust defense.

Last edited:

I remember that 1993 game at the Swamp. That was perhaps Fulmer’s most explosive offense, and we were trying to pound the rock. We fell behind 21-0 which was entirely too much. Same for 95. They were able to score at will in the 2nd half and we tried to slow the game down.

But Heupel will focus on simplicity and execution. If he gets the matchup he wants, he expects to punish the d and score a TD on that play.

Reactions: sjt18
I hope we play fast and furious with a big dose of
TENNESSEE TENACITY in all aspects of the game.
Offense, defense, and special teams.

Depended to some extent on Florida's players in any given year, but they were typically more pass-heavy than that.

That last season Spurrier was there (2001), was very pass-heavy with Rex Grossman. Probably about 480 passing attempts and maybe 280 rushing attempts (I estimate b/c NCAA dosen't differentiate between QB runs and sacks). So about a 63 / 37 pass / run ratio.

Similar deal in 2000. About 475 passes, and 290 runs.

1996 championship team was around 450 passes and 365 runs. So maybe 56 / 44 pass / run.

What I remember most about Florida's running game under Spurrier was how difficult it was to stop because they forced you to focus on the passing game so much, that it became very easy for their RBs to eat up big chunks of yardage when they did run.
The thing Spurrier did so well that was so outside the box thinking was setting up the run with the pass. Throwing out of run formations on early downs... etc. If anyone has watched that SEC documentary about the first SEC title game vs Bama, Spurriers game plan was brilliant. Shovel pass, shovel pass and high low, high lows all night.

Reactions: tbones0711
Stats bear that out but many times vs UT he ran more after gaining control of the game.

Let's just hope there are some linebackers in the portal that we can grab. If not some really good ones at least some for depth. There is hardly enough ILBs to practice with.

And the ones we have don’t know how to cover the pass...especially across the middle. I’m all for getting some quick, fast, strong LBs who like to make interceptions.

They might end up being on the field the same amount, but hopefully we put some points up on the other side of the ball instead.

I've never really looked to much into it, but it felt like Spurrier was very aggressive early and when he got the lead in a comfortable shape would the shorten the game up with the run.

VN Store

Back