I gots ta know ... Enquiring minds are going nuts ...

SN-A-C Orange

#1 Why does Kellie Harper sit in the MIDDLE of the team, that's a little bit unusual? Enquiring minds need closure! :eek:

#2 Why does she get at the end of the line and shake hands LAST? Coaches lead the line.

Go Kellie and Lady Vols ...bring home some hardware this year!

Reactions: RollerVol
1. Better karma/mojo than most recent seasons? Don't know, but I played baseball and had several inexplicable rituals.
2. Not always....

#1: You can't lead people if you're not with them and understand them. Sitting in the middle probably gives here a better understanding of their energy/spirit/mentality at any given time. Powerful statement sitting in the middle of the team.

#2: Leaders are always last because they put others first. They serve. Their job is to make sure the team is successful. Another powerful statement.

I love it.

I'm noticed the first item and I love it. The modern day leader is better in the middle.

Haven't noticed the second item. But, I'm sure it is the same line of thinking. Team comes first.

#1: You can't lead people if you're not with them and understand them. Sitting in the middle probably gives here a better understanding of their energy/spirit/mentality at any given time. Powerful statement sitting in the middle of the team.

#2: Leaders are always last because they put others first. They serve. Their job is to make sure the team is successful. Another powerful statement.

I love it.

I want my players facing me because I want to know if it any point someone takes their eyes off me. Especially when dealing with an athlete.... if their attention is not on you then neither is their focus.. Often I make my next substitution based on not the five players who are sitting who are already in the game but the six or seven players that are standing behind the present team that's playing on court reacting as I would want them to react and studying what I'm trying to get across to them. That often and almost always influences who I am going to put in next. So I never want my players behind me I want to be able to see each and every one of them.

Reactions: volnationnj
I want my players facing me because I want to know if it any point someone takes their eyes off me. Especially when dealing with an athlete.... if their attention is not on you then neither is their focus.. Often I make my next substitution based on not the five players who are sitting who are already in the game but the six or seven players that are standing behind the present team that's playing on court reacting as I would want them to react and studying what I'm trying to get across to them. That often and almost always influences who I am going to put in next. So I never want my players behind me I want to be able to see each and every one of them.

Dude, you make no sense, BUT I'll wager there's a reason you coach JV middle school and she's coaching D1 SEC basketball. I'll trust her method-not yours.

Dude, you make no sense, BUT I'll wager there's a reason you coach JV middle school and she's coaching D1 SEC basketball. I'll trust her method-not yours.

Yes I have coached JV middle school. And I value that experience because it enabled me to see these kids specifically females, at their most difficult transitional years. In my book I will get into this heavily.

It will go into things like, how females have three transitional phases where a male only has two. Meaning a male is a boy from the moment of birth and then becomes a man ...does two transitions. A girl however starts out as a kid pretty much genderless, then becomes a girl, then becomes a woman. That's three transitional phases.

If all you know of me is my middle school experience then you must be referencing my only video post { ) It got a thousand views... I chose to post this team for several reasons...I was subbing 5 in 5 out...It was a Mother's Day Championship, both teams won 3 to get there and the Mom who recorded for me asked if I would post it for her relatives to see why she was at a ballgame on her special day... technical skills Are displayed here such as phenomenal one-on-one defensive skills. help defense. giveNgo's.. screen rolls . my girls kept their hands high I mean if you look at this team. which was comprised of three girls I had worked with from the prior year and 9 that I chose from tryouts or recruited during the following School season, you see some incredible fundamentals and they are12 year old girls. ... Every girl scored...It was one of my funnest experiences. a team that played in 18 tournaments over one summer, 72 games...it was a team full of talent (one was the #16 player (3rd alternate to play if needed) on the USA 16U team a few years later...and most importantly I was part of 13 families that year.

And I too have work with D1 athletes. At the elite level. Recently. In fact, my last team in Knoxville had 7 of the 9 go on to play D1 ball...That to will be part of the book

Without my experiences in JV Middle School basketball I would not know this and would not understand how a woman has a much more difficult path to get through than a man does.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chippo and mcannon1
Yes I have coached JV middle school. And I value that experience because it enabled me to see these kids specifically females, at their most difficult transitional years. In my book I will get into this heavily.

It will go into things like, how females have three transitional phases where a male only has two. Meaning a male is a boy from the moment of birth and then becomes a man ...does two transitions. A girl however starts out as a kid pretty much genderless, then becomes a girl, then becomes a woman. That's three transitional phases.

If all you know of me is my middle school experience then you must be referencing my only video post { ) It got a thousand views... I chose to post this team for several reasons...I was subbing 5 in 5 out...It was a Mother's Day Championship, both teams won 3 to get there and the Mom who recorded for me asked if I would post it for her relatives to see why she was at a ballgame on her special day... technical skills Are displayed here such as phenomenal one-on-one defensive skills. help defense. giveNgo's.. screen rolls . my girls kept their hands high I mean if you look at this team. which was comprised of three girls I had worked with from the prior year and 9 that I chose from tryouts or recruited during the following School season, you see some incredible fundamentals and they are12 year old girls. ... Every girl scored...It was one of my funnest experiences. a team that played in 18 tournaments over one summer, 72 games...it was a team full of talent (one was the #16 player (3rd alternate to play if needed) on the USA 16U team a few years later...and most importantly I was part of 13 families that year.

And I too have work with D1 athletes. At the elite level. Recently. In fact, my last team in Knoxville had 7 of the 9 go on to play D1 ball...That to will be part of the book

Without my experiences in JV Middle School basketball I would not know this and would not understand how a woman has a much more difficult path to get through than a man does.

Brag on, maybe someone will be impressed, though I doubt it.

good stuff SN...I like that she talks with the whole staff during the game also...little things that matter...

GO LADY VOLS!

#1 Why does Kellie Harper sit in the MIDDLE of the team, that's a little bit unusual? Enquiring minds need closure! :eek:

#2 Why does she get at the end of the line and shake hands LAST? Coaches lead the line.

Go Kellie and Lady Vols ...bring home some hardware this year!

#! From the middle, she is closer to all her bench. I would think "the enders" would feel a little better involved not being in the "back 40" and where they could be better taught about the things that are and have happened on the court.

#2 To me this says "its about the players" not the coaches "it's the players first" what I have to say to opponent players may be a lot more than "good game".

#! From the middle, she is closer to all her bench. I would think "the enders" would feel a little better involved not being in the "back 40" and where they could be better taught about the things that are and have happened on the court.

#2 To me this says "its about the players" not the coaches "it's the players first" what I have to say to opponent players may be a lot more than "good game".

I watch timeout huddles intently, both on camera and in person,,,the focus in the huddle always translates to the floor.
relaxed. tense. looking around. giggling. mad. etc...What happen in the huddle happens on the floor.

But I am not dead-set in my timeout formation.
as seen in the video, on some timeouts I walk to the five on the floor and speak with them as a group,,then walk back to the bench verbalizing the condensed version of what was emphasized to the bench.

Another Stupid thread.

I've been on this road too long time Franklin. I'm not saying I deserve any notice of respect above anyone else. But I also don't deserve to be belittled or attacked by someone I don't know oh, who knows me. someone comes at me I am going to come back at them. Yes it's a waste of time. Especially now I hope freak pulls it

I'll be glad when the SEC season starts and there are regular games to discuss, instead of where the coach sits, or what she wears, or whether Dunkin Donuts are as good as Krispy Kremes, or god forbid, what Geno said about someone. o_O
221A7AF3-EACE-43C5-B5FC-8BB5D3AEDED0.jpeg

Reactions: Chippo

Don't knock JV and middle school coaches. Those are the most critical coaching and learning years in your life. I'm not just talking ball; I'm talking mentality, work ethic, studying, ball and everything else. That age is when you begin to develop your identity that carries to the rest of your life. My middle school basketball coach was probably the most influential non-parent person in my life. My HS coach was alright, my college coach was actually not very good, but my middle school coach... I have to credit him with a significant part of who I am today and most of what I know about basketball.

Hello all, I've been away from the boards for awhile, but I must say that all in all the Coach Harper and her staff have handled their affairs up to the current point as well as the majority of 1st year coached inheriting the same circumstances. Sitting in the middle of the bench within itself may seem trivial to the casual observer, whether intentional or not, Coach Harper sitting in the middle of her team says just that, "YOUR MY TEAM, I AM ONE OF YOU, AND WITH YOU." Is there are greater message to any team a coach in the 1st year of their tenure can send? A deeper look at Coach Harper is that she, like Pat, is always leaning forward more so than anyone on the bench. Message, even in the middle she is out front. One of Coach Harper strengths is her nonverbal communication, yes very reminiscent of Pat, but with her own style. A great, but subtle example of this is that her on court demeaner is not at odds with her post game interview demeaner and words, which could cause a coach to lose a team psychologically. Great Coaches are great Communicators. Coach Harper is showing signs of this. The team is beating the teams its suppose to beat, and not giving away those games, thereby providing stability to the program. This must be done consistently week in and week out which will give birth to developing the psychological habit of winning. As for shaking hands as the last in line, sometimes as a coach, not basketball, it allow me to see post game emotions and the mental state of my athletes who might hide if they know I'm eye sight. Maybe this is her preference, only she truly knows. Folks, every coach coaches and leads differently, and that my friends is conversation for another thread. LETS JUST ENJOY THE MOMENT, BECAUSE THINGS CAN CHANGE SO FAST. GO COACH HARPER, GO LADY VOLS.

VN Store

Back