I feel like we were way better with Turner

LivinginthePast

Robert Neyland Won more Nattys than rewarded. Why?
Even though he turned it over a bit just like everyone else, some games he was an assist monster. Plus he could actually drive with power. His shot was off but could still hit the clutch ones. I think we would have a little better record with him.

Yes Really. His shot was bad because of his hurt shoulder. Vescovi has not been impressive in the least. He is averaging 2 turnovers per assist. I expected more from him. I know he is on a new team but I thought he had played against High level competition.

Even though he turned it over a bit just like everyone else, some games he was an assist monster. Plus he could actually drive with power. His shot was off but could still hit the clutch ones. I think we would have a little better record with him.
Expect our record would still be the same regardless if Turner was available. Since he has been out, Wisconsin, LSU and Georgia beat us pretty easily. Given he was extremely limited shooting the ball doubt it would have been any different. In fact we probably don’t beat Missouri without Vescovi. We definitely miss Turner’s defense and grit, but he did what was best for him. Tennessee had limitations with him, and clearly do now despite adding Vescovi and Plavsic. Really need to beat Ole Miss. Schedule gets tougher as we move along.

Reactions: wmcovol
A freshman playing major college ball. That's your answer about Viscovi. Dude will get better.

Yes, we miss Turner. But you can’t expect an 18 year old to come right in and excel at PG in the SEC. He played international ball and got good experience, but it’s not the same as what he is playing against.

Yes Really. His shot was bad because of his hurt shoulder. Vescovi has not been impressive in the least. He is averaging 2 turnovers per assist. I expected more from him. I know he is on a new team but I thought he had played against High level competition.
You expected an 18 year old from another country, who doesn't speak much English to step off the plane and light it up in the first 3 weeks? Most freshmen get preseason camp, the kid is learning on the fly. He's also not in midseason shape like most of the other guys, it takes time. With or without Turner this year was a transition year.

Yes, we miss Turner. But you can’t expect an 18 year old to come right in and excel at PG in the SEC. He played international ball and got good experience, but it’s not the same as what he is playing against.
Why not? Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, these teams have 18 year olds repeatedly some in an excel tremendously

Reactions: vol94 and volKano
Why not? Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, these teams have 18 year olds repeatedly some in an excel tremendously

I now expect that he was rated appropriately. He is not a one and done 5 star player, and even UK's freshmen take half a season to really get going most of the time. Even then, they have the off-season and pre-season to prepare.

He may still be a great player, but he probably needs an off-season to adjust. I hope he finds his niche this year, but it is hard for him to catch his breath when we are playing 2 games a week.

Last edited:
Its the physicality of the "American" game. He has the skills, not the strength. But now he knows how much stronger he needs to be. He is getting pushed into traps. Gonna be very interesting to see how this team comes together. They seem to be a group that likes each other and that will go a long way.

Reactions: GBOx2 and RollerVol
Even a less than 100% healthy Turner would break the pressure that is currently bedeviling us.

I'm a big CRB fan but surely there was time to bring in another PG after Bone announced his pro decision. Not having at least two true ball-handlers is kinda like coaching malpractice imo.

Lamonte played hurt...a healthy Lamonte would've made a bigger difference...moving on...:D

GO BIG ORANGE!

Why do our fan turn on guys especially freshman at the drop of a hat...1 great game. (ON next Williams) 1 bad game ( ON will get recruited over) same with Vescovi. Yall were all over his nuts his first game. Now he a terrible player...Plasvic. same thing....

We've been lucky this year to be front-loaded with weaker teams, so our record still looks decent. Maybe the Vandy game was a corner turned? They did play with a lot more confidence.

Why do our fan turn on guys especially freshman at the drop of a hat...1 great game. (ON next Williams) 1 bad game ( ON will get recruited over) same with Vescovi. Yall were all over his nuts his first game. Now he a terrible player...Plasvic. same thing....
Grant Williams, certainly Admiral, and Bone all took time to adjust to the college game. To think that an international player who just turned 18 and moved to another continent without pre-season practice, workouts, etc would be the level player that some suggest baffles me. Expectations with his situation were way too high by many.

Grant Williams, certainly Admiral, and Bone all took time to adjust to the college game. To think that an international player who just turned 18 and moved to another continent without pre-season practice, workouts, etc would be the level player that some suggest baffles me. Expectations with his situation were way too high by many.

Yes and he has honestly been really good all things considered. He is a high school senior for crying out loud. His prom would still be months away.

Those are elite freshmen. Probably the top 12 in their age group in the world. Plus, they’ve played USA basketball vs these type players since they were 15, maybe younger. Not fair to compare our foreign 18 yr olds to those guys.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Even a less than 100% healthy Turner would break the pressure that is currently bedeviling us.

I'm a big CRB fan but surely there was time to bring in another PG after Bone announced his pro decision. Not having at least two true ball-handlers is kinda like coaching malpractice imo.

Josiah JJ is a PG. He's a different type than Bone, but that's what he was playing in HS. Turner makes 2. Bowden makes 3. Vescovi makes 4. Bailey makes 5. Springer makes 6.

We WOULD have been much better with a HEALTHY Turner. He struggled all year with his shooting and now we know there was a good reason. Even with him unhealthy, he was an asset to team with his defense, assists, and leadership - and a great loss.

Still we have a shot at big tournament - 2nd half at Vandy was promising. Ole Miss Tuesday becomes a big game - every next game from here on is the biggest one.

VN Store

Back