I can't believe it, but a worse offensive game plan than Chaney?

Eddie Vol Halen

Senior Life Champion
Chaney had a lot more tools. We all knew we lost half our production to the NFL. You could draw plays in the dirt and score with CP, Hunter, Bray, and the O-line.

I really thought CBJ and the "best coaching staff in America" would know that we had to use our offense to slow down Oregon. I really had faith they would put together a gameplan to keep this game competitive.

For five damn years I've seen our QB line up in the shotgun every damn down. Just breaks my heart we are so far away from what made us great.

It was clear in the first two games Worley is not great. You've still got to scheme where Worley only has to make 3 - 4 plays, not 30 - 40.

Really disappointed in CBJ and company on this game. Really bad coaching performance, IMHO. They've got to make sure the wheels don't come off now.

Reactions: 5 people
Don't you realize that Butch's plan all along was to lose this game big so as to make FL overconfident next week?

Chaney had a lot more tools. We all knew we lost half our production to the NFL. You could draw plays in the dirt and score with CP, Hunter, Bray, and the O-line.

I really thought CBJ and the "best coaching staff in America" would know that we had to use our offense to slow down Oregon. I really had faith they would put together a gameplan to keep this game competitive.

For five damn years I've seen our QB line up in the shotgun every damn down. Just breaks my heart we are so far away from what made us great.

It was clear in the first two games Worley is not great. You've still got to scheme where Worley only has to make 3 - 4 plays, not 30 - 40.

Really disappointed in CBJ and company on this game. Really bad coaching performance, IMHO. They've got to make sure the wheels don't come off now.

makes you wonder about the shotgun for UT

Sad that poster like do not realize that we have no talent on offense. Our talent left early and went to the NFL.

Frankly...I think it wasn't just young players who got "Overwhelmed" @ Autzen yesterday...

Butch was timid and it showed...I hope he learned as I hope the players learned.

Flame suit on for the Butch-Smokers...but...

The truth hurts sometimes.

Capice?

is Capice a new car ? :) I do agree that CBJ was overwhelmed and did some timid play calling,it seems our coaches are on a learning curve to

I really wonder if some of you know CBJ philosophy. Have we seen the bearcats before?

CBJ likes to do 75% or more from shotgun. Run or pass it will usually be in shotgun sets.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Sad that poster like do not realize that we have no talent on offense. Our talent left early and went to the NFL.
Nonsense. There is some decent talent on the offense. Jones just chose to rely completely on a subpar QB, and put that QB in an offense that doesn't fit an unathletic QB at all.

Reactions: 2 people
I really wonder if some of you know CBJ philosophy. Have we seen the bearcats before?

CBJ likes to do 75% or more from shotgun. Run or pass it will usually be in shotgun sets.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

So you're saying he lacks the common sense to try to adapt to the players that he actually has, instead of forcing a square peg in a round hole? That's encouraging.

Reactions: 1 person
Lol so they are poor coaches because we play from the gun? Wtf.

What made us great originally was the single wing offense (which also involves a shotgun snap). Maybe we should go back to that.

We finally get a coach who likes to run the football, and we're upset about the formation? Wow.

Defense was overwhelmed because they are less talented and the Worley help kept them on the field way too long. Coaches may have called the plays but our guts are alower and in the second half just plain tired. I never did see quit which was the only positive sign.

The best player caller in the business could have called the plays yesterday and Oregon still wins.

TN does not have the ELITE talent nor speed to compete with a team like Oregon.

It is going to take Butch and Company a few years to get TN back to an Elite team.

It took Majors several years to rebuid and make TN revelant. It will take Butch some time. Be patient and support the team.

Reactions: 7 people
I'm not sure exactly when we stopped using a blocking fullback and stopped running from the traditional I formation--a decade ago, more or less--our running game as suxed. It improved the year Kiffin was here, but our running game has been somewhere between mediocre and bad for many years.

The main reason for the program's slide, and continuing struggles, is poor offense. That's how this mess got started--when Fulmer promoted Sanders to a OC position he couldn't handle--and offense remains our biggest problem. Not enough talent and not enough good coaching. We need an offensive guru, badly. Maybe the current OC is, but I doubt it. Chaney was a decent OC, but he was pass happy and even last year, when we scored a lot of points and our defense was terrible, our offense had chances to win or tie SEC games for us in the fourth quarter and always went in the tank when we absolutely needed a score.

Do we have have talent issues now? Yea, but good coaches figure out ways to move the ball. Mediocre coaches don't. We'll see where we are in a couple of weeks.

I meant to say..."//but ever since// we stopped using a blocking fullback our running game has been between mediocre and bad.

The problem is our offense isn't good enough to slow down games. We have average RBs, average QB, and our 2 receivers everyone was excited about Croom and North have yet to show up against ANYONE. We are just not very good. Can't game plan around that playing maybe the best team in the country.

Reactions: 3 people
Worley made all his reads and just didn't have open receivers. You can't run the ball every play and expect to slow down Oregon. Oregon would just stack the box and shut us down that way. I didn't like all the misdirections and Neal went back to old Neal and tried to take everything to the outside. Looked like he got benched when he tried that though.

We just aren't very good talent wise. Can't believe so many people still don't believe that.

Are we still talking about football here, or is this another debate on gun control and our constitutional rights?

We are running urbans offense without a running qb... This is Floridas offense with TEBOW... We just dont have Tebow..

It was painfully obvious that Oregon is light years ahead of us in talent and speed. When the talent gap is that large, all the game-planning in the world is not going to cover it. Recruiting is the only way to fix this problem, and that will not happen overnight.

The problem is our offense isn't good enough to slow down games. We have average RBs, average QB, and our 2 receivers everyone was excited about Croom and North have yet to show up against ANYONE. We are just not very good. Can't game plan around that playing maybe the best team in the country.

Exactly. We knew before CBJ was hired that we didn`t match up with Oregon and had a near 0% chance of winning this game. People need to stop whining about the obvious.

It's no use. The internet coaching brigade is determined to make fools of themselves, so just just let em be.

It was painfully obvious that Oregon is light years ahead of us in talent and speed. When the talent gap is that large, all the game-planning in the world is not going to cover it. Recruiting is the only way to fix this problem, and that will not happen overnight.

The talent gap is not obvious.

What is obvious is the coaching gap though. Oregon knows their culture, their roles, and their team.

I'm willing to chalk this up to reteaching shower discipline; we still need to wash the funk from Dooley and Sal off. It won't happen overnight.

Yet, I am shocked that anybody this morning is saying anything other than CBJ and co had a shocker of a game planning week / in-game coaching.

We can blame the players. I'm more than happy to blame the former coaches as well. But in truth, I just don't feel the players were given a gameplan, put in the best position possible to make the game as competitive as it could be.

And this is what really thunderstruck me, because I've been sipping generously on the CBJ Kool-Aid.

Lol so they are poor coaches because we play from the gun? Wtf.

What made us great originally was the single wing offense (which also involves a shotgun snap). Maybe we should go back to that.

I wonder if history repeats itself while we run this offense and we miss out on a kid from Johnson City who goes on to win the Heisman at Florida?

VN Store

Back