I can't believe I'm saying this re: Stephen Pearl

globadoc

Professor of BBQ & Sports
I think I am ready to join the Steven Pearl Fan Club. He may never hit double figures in any offensive or defensive stat. He may never dunk on anyone. He may never do a single flashy thing. But the young man plays with his limitations and does what he can: setting screens, taking screens, wall off post players, challenge dribbles, etc. I'm starting to love the way he plays.

(But the next time Bruce has Steven, Skylar, Swiperboy, Fields, and either PG on the floor at the same time, we need to Tonya Harding him on courtside...)

I think I am ready to join the Steven Pearl Fan Club. He may never hit double figures in any offensive or defensive stat. He may never dunk on anyone. He may never do a single flashy thing. But the young man plays with his limitations and does what he can: setting screens, taking screens, wall off post players, challenge dribbles, etc. I'm starting to love the way he plays.

(But the next time Bruce has Steven, Skylar, Swiperboy, Fields, and either PG on the floor at the same time, we need to Tonya Harding him on courtside...)
Pearl can play for me anyday. Don't know if we win tonight without him.:salute::salute::salute:

I agree. When Pearl and McBee is on the floor it makes scoring difficult. He did a great job tonight and I really liked the praises he was getting. I also agree that I don't know if we win this game without his effort tonight. That steal towards the end of the game was huge!

Just like last year, Steven Pearl has never been the reason for Tennessee's deficiencies. He doesn't do much to help you but he also doesn't make very many mistakes.

I've never been a Pearl fan, but he played exceptionally tonight. I just want to point out, again from a non-Pearl fan, that he has been playing very well all season.

He is definitely earning his minutes. Coming back to help Goins dribble the ball up the court at the end of the game was huge, along with a couple steals and rebounds he had. He utilizes the bounce pass properly. Right now, I would consider him our 6th man and I too never thought I would say this because in the past he really didn't deserve the minutes he got, but the past 2 years (this year being one of them), he has played well.

Steven did a great job. I get nervous with those subs also, but they more than held their own. They give us depth, keep the ones fresh and they help us eat a lot of minutes. I believe our depth finally got to Nova with their people fouling out and our pulling away at the end.
Hopson played up to his potential tonight. If he plays this well and the defense stays tough, we will be OK.

Just like last year, Steven Pearl has never been the reason for Tennessee's deficiencies. He doesn't do much to help you but he also doesn't make very many mistakes.

Yep. I appreciate how he usually plays without doing some of the stupid things. No stupid threes early in the shot clock just because he's 'open', no bull-in-the-china-shop drives to the rim, etc. Hell, Jay Wright probably owes him because he stopped the 'Nova guard from charging Goins and getting a tech or something.

Stephen adds a lot to the team's defense. He's got quick feet and quick hands and caused a couple turnovers tonight. He'll never score with the likes of Bradshaw, for sure, but so long as he can make free throws and the wide open shots, the other team will have to not simply disregard him and that'll be enough for him to be a solid addition.

what he does on the defensive end is huge. seems to be at the right place at the right time on d. plays with heart.

Get your shank ready then, because it'll happen next game.

That lineup plays a stretch every single game.

The funny thing is, a lot of times you see that lineup and you think "oh no, how long till the starters come back," but if you check they actually extend the lead. I don't know why, other than I assume they know they've only got a few more minutes so they lay it all out there.

I thought that lineup was bad, but it was actually great coaching. We had serious foul concerns brewing, as did Nova. Those minutes with our rag tag lineup helped save us down the stretch. It was going to be close no matter what.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Im with OP that Steven Pearl is really growing on me. He gives us solid minutes off the bench without hurting us on the defensive end and he always gives top level effort and hustle. He is the kind of player that can make a talented group of players a really good team.

I don't mind Pearl playing, but why with that crazy rotation bugs me. Don't you put him with a scorer or two like Hopson or Harris?

VN Store

Back