I bought into the TVA roadgrader thing again.

Vfl2407

Seems like every preseason, I do this.
I read and hear how much better our o line is going to be.
then When we play average or below average d lines, and we don’t dominate, I make excuses.
then when we play a great d line And we are dominated, I make excuses.
I say just wait til Mays gets up to speed and this or that player is fully healthy.
well, here we are again.
one day, before I die, I want to see an o line and o line coach truly deserving of being called the TVA.
wouldn’t mind seeing a big bruiser run between The tackles RB either. Oh, yeah, a great blocking & catching TE too.

rant off,
Go Vols! Beat UK!

How long til recruits stop joining the TVA? Can’t keep the coach of a underdeveloped and unimproved unit for too long in the SEC before it bites us on signing day.

We've recruited the Tennessee Valley Authority. Will Friend turned them into the levee system that protected the Lower 9th Ward in New Orleans...
Hard to fire your best man of your wedding 💒.
i think we are stuck with JP’s best friend.

Last edited:
I never did. This OL was struggling the first 2 games.Having to go for it on 4th down too many times. Ever since Friend has been the OL coach, they have sucked. They never got better.
I still haven’t recovered from theGaState performance.
and, yes, we have underperformed against all levels of competition for a long time.

Why do we still refer to them as the TVA? I work in the power distributing industry and the only thing TVA is good at now is overcompensating their CEOs, overcharging rate payers, and losing distributors.

Reactions: tnvols72 and Alto1
Why do so many 4* and 5* freshman OLmen perform well at other universities? Some of them (in years past) have performed here too. But it's been a while.

Friend is the problem. If the workman has the raw materials and the end result is inferior - the problem is with the workman. Friend has had the raw materials. He's not D1 quality.

Why do we still refer to them as the TVA? I work in the power distributing industry and the only thing TVA is good at now is overcompensating their CEOs, overcharging rate payers, and losing distributors.
Sounds about right then.
our o line definitely overpromises and underdelivers.

TVA ain’t what it used to be, in either case......

Well, you shouldn't have. Hanging onto Friend as OL coach and then bringing in Chaney as OC pretty much put the damper on that. Not that a pass-oriented coordinator can't have a good front line, but if the emphasis is forever going to be pass-blocking with no physical blocking TEs it's pretty difficult. The multiple undisciplined procedure penalties and the predictable JG meltdown was inevitable against an aggressive D like Georgia's.

I will go out on a sturdy limb and predict that the o-line will mysteriously look competent again against Kentucky.

Reactions: unfrozencvmanvol
TVA ain’t what it used to be, in either case......
I know of at least 10 municipalities/cooperatives that are not renewing contracts with them. A few that are huge revenues for them. TVA will be gone in 20 years or privatized. I think we should find a new name for our OL once they ever produce. It's actually fitting for them right now, though...

Reactions: tbh and Alto1
I will go out on a sturdy limb and predict that the o-line will mysteriously look competent again against Kentucky.

And I will go out on another limb and speculate the line's play will be less than the sum of their parts...

The 4 5*s on the OL will look mildly competent against all those 3* on UK's DL

TVA has shut most coal plants down now, their buying into green power and reusable energy. Our line played like a windmill instead of a pulverizer.

then When we play average or below average d lines, and we don’t dominate, I make excuses.
I say just wait til Mays gets up to speed and this or that player is fully healthy.
well, here we are again.
one day, before I die, I want to see an o line and o line coach truly deserving of being called the TVA.
wouldn’t mind seeing a big bruiser run between The tackles RB either. Oh, yeah, a great blocking & catching TE too.

rant off,
Go Vols! Beat UK!

Will Friend isnt getting it done.

AJ Johnson
Jalen Hurd
Derrick Barnett
Henry To'o To'o
These are the guys I can think of that came in as Fr and performed at a high level immediately; since Eric Berry came to Knoxville and shined like a superstar immediately. It does not happen often.

well, here we are again.

rant off,
Go Vols! Beat UK!

Have you learned your lesson once and for all?

Didn't I see video of Fulmer coaching the o-line recently? It seems someone knows a certain other someone is not getting the job done.

Insists on playing a very bad quarterback who is holding back the entire team despite reams of evidence that said quarterback is never going to be good enough...

Hires an incompetent OL coach and insists on retaining him despite wildly dismal results from said coach for the talent he has had to work with...

I see a pattern here somewhere...

Reactions: igotworms

VN Store

Back