I Actually Like What I Saw Today

It's true, it's always better to shart yourself than completely s**t yourself. We make look a little better but some of these coaching decisions we not much better than years past.
Half Buak run up the middle out of the shotgun set on 4th & 1 was very Chaney esque. Eghkkk... I was in row 1 so it all unfolded in front of my eyes. If your a real fan and we're there at Neyland it was like getting stabbed by a sword.

We lost and I hate moral victories but I did see things that give me hope. Agree if we had better QB play in the first we would've won this one.

Still I think the team has things they can build on. I think next week we're going to see more stuff fixed and team looking better.
Start Hooker

Reactions: spyfish007
What today did show was how valuable a running QB is going to be to our success. I thought it was going to be Milton, but he disappointed us today and it hurt. This was our game. It's like the boxer who is on the ropes and gets his second wind to come out and knockout the opponent. We got knocked out today. We were getting in the punches and ahead on points at one time. We let them get in their left hooks and direct hits to the head. We ran out of rounds to fight. Too much time on those silly, undisciplined penalties. It stops all of the momentum, Those boys who committed them must run all week and eat beans and taters instead of steak this week.

Team plays with more effort than any since Fulmer’s heyday. You can build something with that going for you.

Theo Jackson & Matthew Butler particularly played hard on defense.Banks did also too bad we only saw his bad plays.

Gotta get the ball to Calloway more. Very quick feet. I liked getting the ball outside to Wright on the swing pass too.

My fondest hope is that the Vols attain mediocrity this year. They've got a ways to go.

It's true, it's always better to shart yourself than completely s**t yourself. We make look a little better but some of these coaching decisions we not much better than years past.
Then why he$$ are you not out there Coaching??

Let's get real. I love the Vols, but this is the least talent I've seen on a Vol team since Bill Battle's last year.

Tough loss, mainly because it was largely self induced. I liked the fight in the team.

Seems like JH passing game is mainly short or deep with very few intermediate attempts. I w.ould like to see them get a little more creative on first down. They were behind the sticks quite a bit today.

With two game films now, Im curious to see how JH tailors the offense to the quarterback's strengths. Despite the turnovers, I feel Hooker gives them a better chance to win than Milton. I did notice Milton celebrating the teams successes after going out and I appreciate his attitude

Reactions: wmcovol
There is plenty of things that need cleaned up but the ceiling seems much higher with this team than what I've been watching for the last few years. Hooker seems to have better touch on his ball [than milton] and IF he gets the first team reps this week, he will probably perform better out there next game,

Upon reflecting on the game, I actually think we played much better than previously under Pruitt. Sure, we had lots of penalties and heupel made a few bad decisions, but the scheme overall was very solid. With decent QB play we would have been up 28 points early on. Special teams played incredibly well. Defense played very well at key points in the game.

Bear in mind also that we were missing many key players in this game. The team never looked like they gave up, unlike during Pruitt's tenure where once we were down a TD or two you knew the game was over.

Of course a loss hurts, but there's a lot to be hopeful about. Also, typically coaches struggle in their first year. It's normally their 2nd year in which they get it figured out.
Me too. They played hard and didn't quit. I was at the game. Now go out and beat Tennessee Tech next week.

Special teams is definitely WAY better.

The blocked punt and the kick 6 were beautifully designed. I wish the kick 6 wouldn’t have been called back. Velus had some nice kick off returns also. We are in better hands than we have been in a long while.

Our defense has played infinitely better than I thought they would with the depth we have.

Today hurt because we should have won. Turnovers and penalties killed us. Not having Evans and Young hurt too. Injuries hurt us some as well.

Undisciplined play cost us today. But was proud of effort and conditioning. Hooker reminds me so much of Dobbs.

We will get better. Saw a lot of good things today.

I said that exact same thing earlier and along with lack of execution early on. We had the game plan and could have got out to a fairly large lead but missed way to many opportunities early. Like how we didn't quit and had a chance to tie late. We all can debate play calling and which players should play all day, but in the end we didn't execute.
Go Vols!!

Our defense has played infinitely better than I thought they would with the depth we have.

Today hurt because we should have won. Turnovers and penalties killed us. Not having Evans and Young hurt too. Injuries hurt us some as well.

Undisciplined play cost us today. But was proud of effort and conditioning. Hooker reminds me so much of Dobbs.

We will get better. Saw a lot of good things today.

I mostly agree, but the big problem with the defense is lack of a pass rush that can get sacks. We need a good pass rusher who will command double teams.

The heart thing in game 2 under a new coach isn’t anything new. There’s always immediate buy-in usually for the first full season. I hope Heupel is the guy but playing with heart in game 2 under a new regime doesn’t mean much jmo

VN Store

Back