Hype video

It makes me wonder. Heupel has been Pearl-esque this season. Is he just better at it or were Pruitt and Jones just that bad?

Reactions: lifeVol
It makes me wonder. Heupel has been Pearl-esque this season. Is he just better at it or were Pruitt and Jones just that bad?
Interesting comparison to Pearl, but I kind of agree with you. Took over a program in complete shambles and got a signature win early. Hopefully CJH's is tomorrow night.

Mmm, Pearl-esque would be 5-1 or 6-0. If they finish this year at 8-5 or thereabouts it will be close. But part of Pearl's early momentum came from getting big upsets from a team that was 15-17 or whatever the previous year. Tennessee will need to notch an upset or two to get closer to that comparison sticking. By the end of that first year Pearl was the talk of the sport. Tennessee football isn't there yet. Win a few ranked games and they'll start getting close though.

As for the latter, I think Heupel's offensive approach has revitalized the team at its most moribund position (QB) - a stone around Tennessee's neck for the last decade - which opens up scoring opportunities and builds excitement and momentum. That plus we played two of this year's worst SEC teams in back-to-back games, which also helps.

Reactions: Brave Volunteer
"If it is not about the team, and it is about you, you will never get out of it what you want out of it.

"I promise you, as soon as it is about the team, you will get out of it what you want out of it.

"Prepare so that when your opportunity comes, you're frickin' ready to go ... smash it. You guys understand?"

I think the difference is because Heupel is real. He truly cares about the lads first. And that comes through. They can feel that. They feed off it. And they pay it back in effort and commitment and discipline.

Butch wanted to be this way, but he couldn't get past thinking of football as entertainment. The gladiator trap.

Pruitt didn't care about anyone but himself. He was never even close, as it turned out. His rough words that we initially thought might be hiding some inner goodness, well, they didn't. There was no real depth to the man.

But Josh, he's genuine. He's the real deal. And that translates into effective leadership.

Mmm, Pearl-esque would be 5-1 or 6-0. If they finish this year at 8-5 or thereabouts it will be close. But part of Pearl's early momentum came from getting big upsets from a team that was 15-17 or whatever the previous year. Tennessee will need to notch an upset or two to get closer to that comparison sticking. By the end of that first year Pearl was the talk of the sport. Tennessee football isn't there yet. Win a few ranked games and they'll start getting close though.

As for the latter, I think Heupel's offensive approach has revitalized the team at its most moribund position (QB) - a stone around Tennessee's neck for the last decade - which opens up scoring opportunities and builds excitement and momentum. That plus we played two of this year's worst SEC teams in back-to-back games, which also helps.

An inconvenient truth that many on here dont want to hear. We played an SEC only schedule last year and went 3-7. The 3 teams we beat? Mizzou, SC, and Vandy. The SEC teams we've beaten this year? Mizzou and SC. So far we are no different than last year in terms of SEC record. We've just been more entertaining doing it this year. This game will not be as close as some think it will.

An inconvenient truth that many on here dont want to hear. We played an SEC only schedule last year and went 3-7. The 3 teams we beat? Mizzou, SC, and Vandy. The SEC teams we've beaten this year? Mizzou and SC. So far we are no different than last year in terms of SEC record. We've just been more entertaining doing it this year. This game will not be as close as some think it will.
Anytime someone uses the phrase "inconvenient truth" ... I quit paying attention

“Because in either game, life or football, the margin for error is so small. I mean, one half a step too late or too early and you don’t quite make it. One half second too slow, too fast and you don’t quite catch it. The inches we need are everywhere around us. They’re in every break of the game, every minute, every second.”

“On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone else around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that’s gonna make the f%#&@! difference between WINNING and LOSING, between LIVING and DYING!”

“I’ll tell you this, in any fight it’s the guy whose willing to die whose gonna win that inch. And I know, if I’m gonna have any life anymore it’s because I’m still willing to fight and die for that inch, because that’s what living is, the six inches in front of your face. Now I can’t make you do it. You’ve got to look at the guy next to you, look into his eyes. Now I think you going to see a guy who will go that inch with you. Your gonna see a guy who will sacrifice himself for this team, because he knows when it comes down to it your gonna do the same for him. That’s a team, gentlemen…”

Reactions: Strateegery

So why not keep going with the truths, inconvenient or otherwise. Ole Miss also beat SC and Vandy last year, along with MSU and KY. None of those 4 teams had a winning record. This year their 1st three wins were against Louisville, Austin Peay, and Tulane - none have a winning record. Kiffin got his VERY FIRST win against a winning team with the Arkansas nail-biter last week.

You may be right about the game not being close, brave volunteer, but the oddsmakers aren't wearing orange-colored glasses, right?

I get your point, but comparing last season to this season’s results is just silly. Heck, even Mizzou was a different team on the back half of last year. We beat them by around 20, and by the end of the year, their offense was clicking on all cylinders. The difference in this year’s team and last year’s team is this year’s team is winning and winning the way they should (dominance). Tennessee may not win tonight, but I think they will hold their own against a coach and a team who is, rightfully, further along in the rebuilding process.

So why not keep going with the truths, inconvenient or otherwise. Ole Miss also beat SC and Vandy last year, along with MSU and KY. None of those 4 teams had a winning record. This year their 1st three wins were against Louisville, Austin Peay, and Tulane - none have a winning record. Kiffin got his VERY FIRST win against a winning team with the Arkansas nail-biter last week.

You may be right about the game not being close, brave volunteer, but the oddsmakers aren't wearing orange-colored glasses, right?
Your truth is too inconvenient for me to listen too. I'd rather stick my head under a rock and not have any fun watching a college football game.

Only problem I have with your assessment is this. When you compare the way the team won last year and this you find this jewel.
2020 2021
UT 31 SC 27 UT 45 SC 20
UT 35 Mizzou 17 UT 62 Mizzou 24

This at least shows that UT got SUBSTANTIALLY better in one year than these two opponents we beat last year. Last year was an anomaly in so many ways that it really can't be used to compare anything to anything else.

VN Store

Back