Hyatt opts out of Orange bowl - headed to NFL

Some of what is going on right now, hurts more athletes than it helps. Most of the athletes, across all the sports, still understand and respect the opportunity they are given to get an education they can use if (1) they are not good enough to play at the next level, (2) there is no next level to play for and (3) if at some point they can play no longer due to illnesses or injury.

Many students, who don't have the ability to play sports, graduate college, with hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt. Full ride athletes do not - they get free everything, including publicity and training. Geez.

I think it would be beneficial if the universities published the "net worth" of all they provide to an athlete and what it would cost them if they had to pay for it.

How many games did he play in HS that he suffered significant injury? Grammer school? College? Fearing injury in a bowl game? Does he ride in a car except for absolute necessity? Walk down steps? Get within covid catching range?
My take is it's quitting on UT, his teammates, the fans. My opinion of course makes no difference. But the Florida team that was embarrassed by Oregon state did not resemble the Florida team we played earlier this year.

That was hard to watch. Folks all calling this an exhibition game - if we get beat badly - there will be many who question if we were really good at all. If we don't miss a beat and one of the other WR's has a 5 TD game, well ...what does that say about the ones not playing.

Schools are not in the PRO SPORTS business. Yes, there is a lot of money made - but that money FUNDS ALL SPORTS for ALL ATHLETES ... even those that don't make money. This provides an opportunity for athletes who want to continue to compete while earning a college degree can do so. This is not only going to destroy college football, but ultimately it will destroy ALL college programs and take opportunity away from students who could not and probably would not further their education.

As for an athlete wanting to be an employee - well it will not be what some think it will be -

Employees can be fired for bad performance. Employees get the salary agreed to when they are hired and typically get the same pay as employees in the same role. Employees must adhere to rules their employer has - if they employer says 'you will play in every game if not hurt' - you play in every game or don't get paid (e.g. mandatory overtime). Yes, there could be bonus situations built based on performance - but that would have to be structured so that every player on the team got the same amount - or the universities would have to create criteria that could judge player performance, fairly. The schools could also penalize players, just like the NFL does.

I think the players, especially those who have very good NIL situations, if they truly understood what being an employee is, would not want to be an employee. When you are an employee, you are providing services to your employer. Your employer reaps the profits from your services, and you get whatever salary you agreed to.

Some seem to believe it is instantly a lot of money right out of high school in the pockets of the player and his / her family. The concept of NIL does that better for the best players than being an employee would.
Employees who sign contracts, like say a college coach, CAN be fired but often those contracts are guaranteed. MANY sports contracts are guaranteed and the employer has a very hard time breaking them and simply "firing" an athlete who performs poorly. There's zero reason to think that won't be the case if college athletes are employees.

The athletes are NOT the ones who suggested they are employees. That was suggested by Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh, who probably knows more about an anti-trust situation than you, me, or the athletes. The players are merely coming of age in this era. They are not to blame and will have no choice if the court calls them employees.

I urge you to Google: "Kavanaugh Alstom opinion" and read his official opinion in the Alstom case which started NIL. He basically said: college athletes are employees who aren't being paid "fair market value" for their services and the NCAA is violating anti-trust laws.

This is NOT the fault of the players.

Employees who sign contracts, like say a college coach, CAN be fired but often those contracts are guaranteed. MANY sports contracts are guaranteed and the employer has a very hard time breaking them and simply "firing" an athlete who performs poorly. There's zero reason to think that won't be the case if college athletes are employees.

The athletes are NOT the ones who suggested they are employees. That was suggested by Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh, who probably knows more about an anti-trust situation than you, me, or the athletes. The players are merely coming of age in this era. They are not to blame and will have no choice if the court calls them employees.

I urge you to Google: "Kavanaugh Alstom opinion" and read his official opinion in the Alstom case which started NIL. He basically said: college athletes are employees who aren't being paid "fair market value" for their services and the NCAA is violating anti-trust laws.

This is NOT the fault of the players.

But what is the definition of "fair market value". That is normally based on market - so for a player looking to play in East Tennessee, you would get a fair market value by considering all universities in the area ... (UT, Maryville College, LMU, ETSU, Carson Newman, ... etc.). Even if they went to a national average, you still have to factor ALL schools.

Some take this as players will start to make a lot of money by being employees - they will not. If they were worth a million dollars coming out of high school, the NFL would take them right out of high school.

The kid played his a$$ off for us, good luck to him. The question is, who on the roster wants to be the next star wr??

Reactions: MWR
But what is the definition of "fair market value". That is normally based on market - so for a player looking to play in East Tennessee, you would get a fair market value by considering all universities in the area ... (UT, Maryville College, LMU, ETSU, Carson Newman, ... etc.). Even if they went to a national average, you still have to factor ALL schools.

Some take this as players will start to make a lot of money by being employees - they will not. If they were worth a million dollars coming out of high school, the NFL would take them right out of high school.
The league minimum in the NFL is just over $700k.

The G League (NBA-lite) is $7400/month based on 5 or 6 months, so not that much money.

What you don't seem to understand is if the NCAA is a pro league the "fair market" will be based nationwide, not regionally, and there will have to be a draft, caps, etc to establish league parity.

This idea that UT will compete with Carson-Newman for players is silly. Carson-Newman will drop pro sports because they won't be able to afford to pay players. Lots of schools will be put out of business because schools like UT are no longer going to schedule cupcakes and that big payday goes away. It's an absolute disaster for small schools and for non-revenue generating sports. They will be cut because there's no reason to pay a tennis team that makes no money.

Again, this isn't the player's fault. They are thrown into the NIL system now just like the previous generation was thrown into the $100 handshake era. It's just there and that's what schools do/did.

I'm not saying it's good. I'm saying it's inevitable at this point. When a Supreme Court Justice tells you you're violating anti-trust laws...... you're probably violating anti-trust laws.

Everyone championing this "smart decision", you are, of course, more than welcome to swoon over the dagger that is slowly murdering college football, but I love the sport too much to do that.

Think of your all-time college football legends. Your Mannings and Tebows, think as recently as Jennings... hell was going to freeze over before those guys ever "opted out" of a game to focus on themselves. That's all that needs to be said.

See Bryce Young and Will Anderson.

Reactions: rdavis007
Again, this isn't the player's fault.

You keep saying this - but wasn't this filed on behalf of the players? Ironically this would end up hurting most athletes. Many universities would walk away limiting the number of athletes who would have the opportunity to participate. Only a handful would be able to participate in sports after high school. Many would also lose the opportunity to obtain an education.

You keep saying this - but wasn't this filed on behalf of the players? Ironically this would end up hurting most athletes. Many universities would walk away limiting the number of athletes who would have the opportunity to participate. Only a handful would be able to participate in sports after high school. Many would also lose the opportunity to obtain an education.
An advocacy group for players brought the current complaint to the National Labor Relations Board who is going to pursue it in the courts. It's not players, actually, but an activist group.
++++++
The claim was filed on behalf of USC athletes by the National College Players Association, an advocacy group that has led several campaigns to increase various benefits that college athletes receive.

"We are working to make sure college athletes are treated fairly in both the education and business aspects of college sports," NCPA executive director Ramogi Huma said. "Gaining employee status and the right to organize is an important part in ending NCAA sports' business practices that illegally exploit college athletes' labor."
++++++

Again, I'm not arguing this is good for players. I've said it's inevitable because Justice Kavanaugh essentially said the NCAA is violating anti-trust laws. Unless the NCAA gets Congress to give them an anti-trust exemption, players will be declared employees.

It's not me saying the players are employees, it was Justice Kavanaugh. It wasn't me saying the NCAA is breaking anti-trust laws, it was Justice Kavanaugh.

I am saying it will DESTROY college athletics as we've known if not completely. I'm not happy about it but the NCAA should've seen this coming decades ago and taken some kind of action. The NCAA sat on their hands about player compensation and fought NIL to the bitter end and here we are.

Sounds like CJH and the team aren't butthurt like some fans seem to be about Hyatt making a decision about his future. What some fail to get is that Hyatt being a high draft pick means a hell of a lot more with regard to building a program and recruiting top level talent than appearing in a bowl game.

On Jalin Hyatt winning the Biletnikoff Award and his decision to declare for the NFL draft
“What an awesome story, right? Proud of him. All of those individual awards come through team success and a team working together. So extremely excited for him, and excited for our football team that he gets recognized in that way. The season that he had, everybody’s heard the story. Wanting to be a great player versus working to be a great player. Man, he paid the price and he reaped the rewards. Really proud of him and what he accomplished all year long. It’s a great story that will live forever inside of this building for our future players and future teams. At the same time, the NFL process for all of our guys, we want guys to have the opportunity to go to that level, to be a high draft pick and maximize their value. The conversations, we use not just coaches’ (evaluations), but resources. You try to get them the right information in front of them, so that they can make the right decision for them and their family. Whether that’s Jalin, whether it’s Darnell (Wright), all of those guys, you feel like they have the education, they have the information, then you let them make a great decision. Excited for Jalin and his future, know he’s going to be a high draft pick. Excited that we had a huge part in his journey. This is going to be his home forever.”

No brainer to sit out for draft. If it was playoffs he would be playing. Guys that chose to play its up to them.
Think about it , your getting a chance to play a fricking sport for millions of dollars . Only in America.

Reactions: Delmar and sami
No brainer to sit out for draft. If it was playoffs he would be playing. Guys that chose to play its up to them.
Think about it , your getting a chance to play a fricking sport for millions of dollars . Only in America.

Honestly, I'm not sure he would. I think there are some players who are just going to sit out at seasons end and then there are some who are going to stand with their team until the end.

Reactions: TheFlash1971
So I don't have the right to criticize you for not doing your part by personally risking millions on the outcome of a semi-meaningless game? (which is the standard you're applying to Hyatt)

#JeffClarkIsAFakeFan
where is Jeff Clark ?

Last edited:
I have many thoughts on this sitting out stuff but I've come to the conclusion on my own that Hyatt needs to add weight and he needs to probably get stronger. Practicing for a bowl game doesn't allow you to do that. Putting up 6 reps of 225 on the bench in the combine as an example won't come across well if you haven't put 100% into it during your career.

VN Store

Back