Humans Wiped Out 2/3 of Wildlife in 50 Years

We're too dominant for our own good. We'll expand until we cause our own stinction or a substantial reduction of our population. Or we'll colonize space.
Well the good news is , based on my own anecdotal observations of our current collective intelligence level, id say we’ve peaked and are in steep decline and the rest of nature is going to get a punchers chance.

Which will never be reached. Do you really think we will ever run out of resources? lol. My step dads said back in the 70’s they said the world would run out of oil in 20 years. The belief that Earth has finite resources is based on nothing but conjecture.

Yes we will reach that number at some point barring a mass reduction.

Reactions: OHvol40
Again - what? Whether we are 1% on our way to using them all or we are 99% on our way - the point still remains the sources are finite. At some point users will exceed supply. I'm not arguing how close we are, I'm simply arguing that with a finite supply and growing user we will reach a point where the planet won't sustain us.

Are you saying the resources of the planet are not finite and can continue to grow with our population? If not, then yes, this is a math problem, and it is not conjecture.
There is an assumption built in to your argument that assumes the human population will just grow exponentially until we are out of resources. There is really no reason to just assume that is going to happen.

Our resources are finite, but that doesn't mean they aren't mostly renewable.

Debunking ‘overpopulation’

In reality, the global human population is not increasing exponentially, but is in fact slowing and predicted to stabilise at around 11 billion by 2100.

This is a good article.

I literally do not think otherwise. I have asked a specific question on what we're running out of.

And how do you know what that capacity is? If we don't hit that capacity for a thousand years, do we need to slam breaks on things or let natural innovation continue? What if it's ten thousand years? A million years? Those fundamental questions are almost never answered. Don't be asinine.

Evolution will take care of it. Mother earth will take care of it.

Completely untrue. Most all of my friends are outdoorsmen - hunt, fish, hike, camp, etc. and are involved in big conservation campaigns such as Ducks Unlimited, Pheasant Forever, Quail habitat revitalization programs, marshland conservation efforts, etc. We absolutely see ourselves as stewards of the earth. Many in the group already drive full electric or hybrid vehicles. Had many discussions about how much more recycling we take out every week as opposed to just regular garbage. You are way off IMO.

He wasn’t talking about conservationists.

It's an issue and discussions/options need to be weighed, which I'm sure has and already is taking place.

I mean a perfect example would be Easter Island and what we can see happened from the archeological record there. When resources reach critical mass it's too late, people start to do some really desperate things.

Actually there’s a lot of studies done about that and I think they have come to the conclusion that Rats were as much to blame if not more than humans .

https://www.discovermagazine.com/pl...ecklessness-may-have-done-easter-islanders-in

We just need to keep educating our children. The more education they get, the dumber they become, the dumber they become the less know how to make food or any other basic skill in life. Just look at the great ideas they have, defund police, ban fossil fuels, tax the rich into poverty and make POC more equal based on the color of their skin. Solid if you ask me.

Actually there’s a lot of studies done about that and I think they have come to the conclusion that Rats were as much to blame if not more than humans .

Rats, Not Recklessness, May Have Done Easter Islanders In
I've seen that as well. The point was more that once critical mass was met and they got desperate they expended insane amounts of resources to build effigies, and ultimately clan warfare and cannibalism. When people get desperate poor choices ultimately exasterbate issues.

Which will never be reached. Do you really think we will ever run out of resources? lol. My step dads said back in the 70’s they said the world would run out of oil in 20 years. The belief that Earth has finite resources is based on nothing but conjecture.

Lmao

Reactions: BartW
What a load of crap! I had to write a paper for an upper division geography class at U.T. showing how we would soon run out of oil. That was about 1971. That is what they taught us.

Let's hope we can find middle path here in which people embrace conservation without a genocide or other depopulation event. Japan seems to have found a way to limit its population.

Reactions: zeppelin128
The best way to stop population growth is to spread the wealth. Poverty is declining rapidly, relative to human history, and that's a good sign for natural population growth declines.

the article I posted shows predictions of population decline base precisely on this - combined with more efficient use of resources the Population Bomb predictions continue to be completely unsupported by real data

Reactions: n_huffhines

VN Store

Back