Huge fight involving Kansas [could impact our game with them Saturday]

Pretty sure I saw Ochai Agbaji get himself in there for a second too. Not as much as others, but some dude in a short sleeve polo was going after De Sousa, and Agbaji came bombing in and elbowed past a ref to shove the guy in the back, to the ground. This was right before De Sousa picked up the chair. Then Agbaji apparently had some "oh wait, I'm a starter" moment, and tripped over someone and got on the ground and scooted out to the edge of the melee.
Losing Agbaji would be a big blow.

I don't know much about Kansas. It looks like from the stats that their 2 best players are Azubuike and Dotson. If those two guys play, I could see them circling the wagons and really being tough Saturday.

Garrett plays a lot of minutes and they would definitely feel his loss. But it looks like they have other good guards. McCormack adds depth off the bench. De Sousa isn't really a factor.

I'd expect to see De Sousa, McCormack and Garrett suspended on Saturday at minimum. My confusion stems from the fact that every single player on KU's bench was ejected at the end of the game, so I'd assume that some of them would be given a one-game suspension but I can't fathom how it would work out in terms of KU fielding a roster against UT on Saturday.

I'd expect to see De Sousa, McCormack and Garrett suspended on Saturday at minimum. My confusion stems from the fact that every single player on KU's bench was ejected at the end of the game, so I'd assume that some of them would be given a one-game suspension but I can't fathom how it would work out in terms of KU fielding a roster against UT on Saturday.
I think I heard on ESPNU radio anyone involved in a fight is automatically suspended for the next game. They acted like there is a legitimate chance they have to forfeit. That is not good for us

I didn’t read the whole thread, so this might have been addressed. Was there 1 second left? If so, what’s the rule about players leaving the bench before the game is over?

That was a nasty fight that ended in the Handicapped section of all places. Crazy.

Yes, there was one second left. After order was restored technical free throws were taken and the ball was inbounded.

Pretty sure anybody leaving the bench gets suspended. It will be interesting to see how it's dealt with. A forfeit because they can't field a team would be extreme. Maybe they end up with suspensions staggered over 5 or so games.

Didn't the SEC have a rule that if any player left the bench area during an altercation they were automatically suspended 1 game? If the B12 has something like that then KU and KSU wouldn't be able to field teams vs the SEC this weekend.

Kansas has suspended junior big man Silvio De Sousa in the wake of Tuesday night's brawl between Kansas and Kansas State, coach Bill Self announced Wednesday morning. The suspension is indefinite "pending the final outcome of the review by KU and the Big 12," he announced.

De Sousa was at the heart of the brawl on Tuesday night. After getting the ball stolen from him in the final 10 seconds of the game, he sprinted to the opposite end of the floor to swat DaJuan Gordon's shot attempt just before the final buzzer. When he did, he towered over Gordon, prompting a melee that cleared both benches. He was the only player on the floor assessed a technical, though the benches were ejected, too.

In addition to the technical he drew, video in the aftermath of the event revealed he also threw punches in the brouhaha. He was also seen lifting a chair over his head in an apparent attempt to use it as a weapon, but he dropped it behind his head before it escalated further.

So how much would this move the line? I would still expect Kansas to be pretty heavy favorites. Heir best players might log more minutes and they still have capable backups.

Kansas has an out on the "leaving the bench rule". Apparently the final buzzer sounded before the benches cleared. Where it gets interesting is the fact that the refs put .02 seconds back on the clock. Seems like a calculated decision by the officials.

So how much would this move the line? I would still expect Kansas to be pretty heavy favorites. Heir best players might log more minutes and they still have capable backups.

Just Silvia? Not at all. McCormick, Garrett and Silvia I would think quite a bit...would be 3/9 of their typical rotation.

Just Silvia? Not at all. McCormick, Garrett and Silvia I would think quite a bit...would be 3/9 of their typical rotation.
De Sousa is a pretty lousy backup. McCormack is an ok backup. Garrett would be a significant loss but Moss and Agbaji can make up that. And it’s not like having to go small when Azubuike is out will put them at much of disadvantage against us.

There was a far bigger chair throwing brawl inside of Stokely Athletics Center in the early 1970s.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back