HS powers creating their own league

cncchris33

There is about to be a minor league college basketball league on our hands. Starting this year, IMG (Florida), Montverde (Florida), Oak Hill (Virginia), Sunrise Christian (Kansas), La Lumiere (Indiana), and Wasatch Academy (Utah) will be joining with two other unnamed schools to start their own league of HS basketball powers.

They are calling themselves the National Interscholastic Basketball Conference (NIBC), and will play a 10-gm regular season with a postseason tournament. My guess is that they will fill in the schedule with out of conference games to make a full slate. IMG has played Knoxville Catholic before, as an example.

There are plans to expand beyond the initial eight schools in the future, as well. Big time high school basketball just got even bigger. There is huge money to be made by these programs through endorsements, sponsorships, television, etc.

Last edited:
Question, will this somehow evolve into these elite HIGH SCHOOL kids getting endorsements, sponsorships, etc. etc. from this league?
You know when these kids parents find out that this "conference" has its own TV contract they will want junior to get paid.

Reactions: chvolman
Question, will this somehow evolve into these elite HIGH SCHOOL kids getting endorsements, sponsorships, etc. etc. from this league?
You know when these kids parents find out that this "conference" has its own TV contract they will want junior to get paid.
NIL is likely shifting toward that eventually, anyhow.

I have been saying I thought they should do this with football too and I think it will eventually be the alternative route. I think NFL will have to choose from multiple sources.

It’s not longer about the love of the game or completion. All about the money, even in high school. Really sucks to see and for me, personally, it makes it much less enjoyable.

VN Store

Back