How would you rate John Chavis as a Defensive Coordinator?

To be fair almost every single coach even great ones will end up hiring forgettable coordinators
It wasn’t a critique of Miles, but more a counterpoint to the idea that Chavis is an “A” simply because LSU paid a lot of money for him. Dooley is currently making more if we are going to go that route.

It wasn’t a critique of Miles, but more a counterpoint to the idea that Chavis is an “A” simply because LSU paid a lot of money for him. Dooley is currently making more if we are going to go that route.
They paid to KEEP him. And A&M paid to STEAL him. See any Brinks trucks headed to Columbia?

Nope. See Miles or Sumlin still coaching at those places?
Once again. So you’re the guy to call when we need those pesky goalposts moved? You bring up Dooley and then forget. 😏

I didn’t say Chavis was forgettable. I was disputing the notion that Les Miles hiring you was a guarantee of quality.
And I didn’t participate in that notion...since mine was that Miles paid to hire him and keep him.

And I didn’t participate in that notion...since mine was that Miles paid to hire him and keep him.

You are touting the decision making of a guy that took over a dynasty built by perhaps college football’s greatest coach ever and ended up in college football’s basement - Lawrence, Kansas.

You are touting the decision making of a guy that took over a dynasty built by perhaps college football’s greatest coach ever and ended up in college football’s basement - Lawrence, Kansas.
And maintained it. Some damn good teams...built around traditionally great defenses.

And maintained it. Some damn good teams...built around traditionally great defenses.

They had some good years. All in all, they got worse when he took over. Oklahoma State got better when he left. Now he’s waiting for his career to end at a place he has zero chance of winning anything meaningful.

They had some good years. All in all, they got worse when he took over. Oklahoma State got better when he left. Now he’s waiting for his career to end at a place he has zero chance of winning anything meaningful.
Won a NC and played in another. Pretty meaningful.

Reactions: UTwild82
Never thought Miles was all that. Should have won more
Nattys at LSU!

It’s pretty funny that in this conversation you were the one that accused me of moving goalposts.
Cuz that’s what you do. You brought up Miles only capitalizing off Saban’s success and not doing anything else meaningful. When I mentioned that he had played in a NC that was with a roster HE had recruited. Pretty meaningful and goal posts didn’t budge. When you’re needing to downplay a successful HC to cast shade on the subject of this thread, you’ve shipped the goalposts out of the country.

Cuz that’s what you do. You brought up Miles only capitalizing off Saban’s success and not doing anything else meaningful. When I mentioned that he had played in a NC that was with a roster HE had recruited. Pretty meaningful and goal posts didn’t budge. When you’re needing to downplay a successful HC to cast shade on the subject of this thread, you’ve shipped the goalposts out of the country.

I haven’t placed any goal posts. Every single measurement of DC quality I’ve discussed was introduced by you.

You bring up Chavis making a bunch of money at LSU. I bring up Miles hiring some pretty bad coordinators. Yeah, but Chavis was also given a raise and later hired away. OK. Fair enough. Still moving goal posts.

You said Miles won an NC and played for another. Goal posts set. I bring up a coach that pretty well proves that alone isn’t enough to say someone is a great coach. Now it’s he has to recruit them, too. That’s a fine point to make, but it’s moving the goal posts. You’ve done it multiple times. I don’t care that you’re doing it, just a ridiculous accusation to make by you.

I haven’t placed any goal posts. Every single measurement of DC quality I’ve discussed was introduced by you.

You bring up Chavis making a bunch of money at LSU. I bring up Miles hiring some pretty bad coordinators. Yeah, but Chavis was also given a raise and later hired away. OK. Fair enough. Still moving goal posts.

You said Miles won an NC and played for another. Goal posts set. I bring up a coach that pretty well proves that alone isn’t enough to say someone is a great coach. Now it’s he has to recruit them, too. That’s a fine point to make, but it’s moving the goal posts. You’ve done it multiple times. I don’t care that you’re doing it, just a ridiculous accusation to make by you.
Coker didn’t recruit the roster of his TWO appearances. Miles did. Stay on point. And Chavis getting paid to STAY is relevant. Sticking to he sucks cuz you say so is pretty myopic. Dave Aranda was Miles choice to replace Chavis...REMEMBER him?

VN Store

Back