How will the 2 QB system play out?

How will the 2 QB system play out?

• Total voters
While everyone is making Ainge the next Manning. Stewart really beat out Manning and got the shaft because of his name. Even if it did work out, It wasn't the right decision.If they keep putting all the good plays in for Ainge and the crap for Brent. it will be 1994 all over.I guess our coaches just don't know how to really use a player like Brent. Just think if he went to FSU where they know how to use his talent. He would be very dangerous. Maybe our coaches need to take notes and we will rule the football world and everyone will be happy.

Originally posted by Volman1970@Oct 14, 2004 8:27 PM
Stewart really beat out Manning and got the shaft because of his name. Even if it did work out, It wasn't the right decision.

Suppose Ainge's name could have anything to do with his starting, either?

AAFQ017.jpg

Nah... I think Ainge has a better head for the game than Schaeffer.

Originally posted by Volman1970@Oct 14, 2004 11:27 PM
I guess our coaches just don't know how to really use a player like Brent. Just think if he went to FSU where they know how to use his talent. He would be very dangerous. Maybe our coaches need to take notes and we will rule the football world and everyone will be happy.

Just like they didn't know how to really use a player like... Tee Martin? :blink:

If they keep putting all the good plays in for Ainge and the crap for Brent. it will be 1994 all over.

I'm not sure they are sending in crap plays for Schaeffer but they do seem to run him and the backs when he is in the game. But i'm sure there's a good reason and i'll leave that up to the coachs.

I guess they didn't know how to use Tee because we only won 1 Championship and none with Peyton go figure???

Schaeffer is having trouble staying in the pocket. Until he learns to calm down and play like he did in the beginning, Ainge will stay the man. And it's not the name, Erik is just getting it done.

They are not using Brent like they was in the beginning either.They need to put both of them in 4 and 5 wide sets.

Originally posted by Volman1970@Oct 20, 2004 10:03 PM
They are not using Brent like they was in the beginning either.They need to put both of them in 4 and 5 wide sets.

and foget about the running game? This isn't USC or FSU!

Originally posted by Volstorm@Oct 20, 2004 8:25 PM
Schaeffer is having trouble staying in the pocket. Until he learns to calm down and play like he did in the beginning, Ainge will stay the man. And it's not the name, Erik is just getting it done.

I completely agree. In the past few games, Schaeffer looks at his first read (maybe) and if it's not there, he looks like he's standing on hot coals; the ball is tucked and he's off to the races, hole or not. In the meantime, and I'm not jumping up and down calling Ainge the next Manning, Erik has matured and is starting to look like he knows how to handle the offense. It's tough with the number of receivers we have and with him being a freshman, and I know he's made mistakes, but all in all, he's taken some great strides. Not to mention that he has poise. . . that was one helluva drive at the end of the Ole Miss game in an awfully hostile stadium that could smell Orange blood for the first time in quite a few years.

As I've always said, Brent has the ability to be great, but he's got to learn the offense, get comfortable in the pocket, and start making good reads.

Oh, on the subject of offense, can anyone PLEASE trash that screen pass that seems to have haunted our playbook since I was a kid? I'd rather see a Johnny Majors Up The Middle Special.

Originally posted by kiddiedoc@Oct 21, 2004 4:18 PM
I'd rather see a Johnny Majors Up The Middle Special.

I can hear John Ward now, "Berry for 2"

For those that don't remember, James Berry was a highly touted running back that played I guess around 1980. He always seemed to get alot of 2 yd carries right up the middle.... just like Johnny liked.

Originally posted by allvol@Oct 21, 2004 5:31 PM
For those that don't remember, James Berry was a highly touted running back that played I guess around 1980. He always seemed to get alot of 2 yd carries right up the middle.... just like Johnny liked.

Anyone remember Hubert Simpson?? There's a blast from the past.

Originally posted by allvol@Oct 12, 2004 4:16 PM
Unlike the other "drop-outs", Crompton is considerably closer to the Vols campus. Waynesville is just across the state line off I-40 from Knoxville. UT is the closest I-A school to that area. Heath Shuler and Jimmy Streater came from around that area too.

I wished they would just let ainge play and keep the pressure off of him!!! :bash:

Attachments

• g_ainge_ft.jpg
    g_ainge_ft.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 0
I hear talk about Erik breaking the TD throw record for a true freshman... If he does that, AND makes to the SEC Championship as a true freshman, Crompton will be redshirted. Plus, as soon as JC is ready for the play time, he will be primed and ready to go.

Ainge has already surpassed Manning's touchdown and yardage totals from 1994...

Attachments

• ainge_manning_gm7.jpg
    ainge_manning_gm7.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 0
Not sure how literally you can take stats. I love Ainge, and think he a great QB, but I am not sure I would rank him as better than Clausen nor Manning quite yet. He has a tendency to crumble against good defenses. Sorry, but defenses dont just disguise defenses to try to fool the offensive coordinator who is calling in the plays and the rookie QB who is still learning, but then when the QB matures they stop.... Masking formations, cheating safties up and then having them fall back into pass coverage are part of the game. Perhaps he is leaning too much on Sanders's playcalling, but I have seen quite a few throws he should not have thrown. Statistically alot of his INTs were not his fault, but i consider them more the karmatic balance for quite a few bad throws that should have been picked off. Recievers will drop balls, but they can sure make bad throws look like good ones. Also someone needs to work on route running because either the recievers are running the wrong routes too much or Ainge is throwing the ball in the wrong place too much.
Erik does seem to have lots of poise and is hard to rattle, but I also think he iis lacking the heart of Casey. I am sure he has heart, but it just seems like there is no emotion there alot of times. Football is a game. The more fun you are having, amazingly the better you do while feeling it almost effortless.
I guess alot of it might be playcalling. I am just tired of watching teams like USC and others and sit there thinking, "I wish we could pass like that" as they hit 20" yard slants and go routes. This season is actually the most I have seen the team throw down the field instead of across it. I just hate seeing many of the times we try going downfield, it becoming an incompletion and not always due to great defense.

Originally posted by Austin@Oct 27, 2004 4:09 PM
Erik does seem to have lots of poise and is hard to rattle, but I also think he is lacking the heart of Casey.  I am sure he has heart, but it just seems like there is no emotion there alot of times.

How much heart did it take to come back against Florida and Ole Miss?

I think Allvol's point is not to say that Ainge is the next Peyton Manning, but to illustrate how well he has played relative to what you would expect from a freshmen QB.

Originally posted by GAVol@Oct 27, 2004 3:37 PM
I think Allvol's point is not to say that Ainge is the next Peyton Manning, but to illustrate how well he has played relative to what you would expect from a freshmen QB.

Clausen played in 9 games his freshman season. He completed 121-of-194 for 1,473 yards and 15 touchdowns. He also had only 6 interceptions. His quarterback rating was 145.5.

VN Store

Back