How to enjoy Baseball

Go to the batting cage and ask someone who can throw, to throw you 50 pitches. Try to pull an inside pitch, react to a curve and change, and hit an outside pitch out of the catcher’s mitt, opposite field. Then try to do what pitchers are doing, from 1/2 the distance. Throw it in a shoebox from 30 ft. You will laugh at your inability to do all of the above, and will begin to appreciate what is going on in the game. When you realize that players in the field are all planning for the same 3-5 possible scenarios, it is even fun to watch defensive positioning.

Reactions: Titan05
This is what I always tell people that disrespect Baseball.
68 people have played both in the MLB and NFL. 7 of them are NFL Hall of Famers (over 10%) and Zero of them are Baseball Hall of Famers.
12 people have played Both in the NBA and MLB (Actor Chuck Connors is a surprise on that list) 2 are in the Basketball HOF none in Baseball.
Micheal Jordan was widely considered the best athlete on Earth when he played baseball and he never made it out of AA.
Some players in those 2 sports have great careers just on their athletic abilities but Baseball requires more than just athleticism to be successful.

Reactions: Element01
Never played as a kid. Played other sports but not baseball.

my young son plays now and I love it. We go to quite a few Smokies games also. I don't pick up on a lot of strategies and stuff because I did not play. But I learn more as he plays more and we go to more games. Probably the best father/son game in existence.

Reactions: Crossvilleman
It was the first sport I played. As much as I love football, baseball for me will be my first love.

I have never really watched much baseball. With the basketball season over and along way to football it Seems like Tennessee is on the sec network a lot. I have always found baseball boring but am willing to try to watch. For you baseball fans what makes it so enjoyable? It seems so slow and boring but that’s from someone who hasn’t ever watched baseball.
College baseball is meh. Go to a minor league game and the quality is way better.
If it wasn’t UT related I’d never have any interest at all.

College baseball is meh. Go to a minor league game and the quality is way better.
If it wasn’t UT related I’d never have any interest at all.
You're truly missing out. The quality might be better in the upper minors but there is zero heart or passion for the teams playing. Go to a minor league game and then go to a SEC game or a NCAA regional or Super Regional game. Night and day.

You're truly missing out. The quality might be better in the upper minors but there is zero heart or passion for the teams playing. Go to a minor league game and then go to a SEC game or a NCAA regional or Super Regional game. Night and day.

I agree with this. Try Hoover.

I agree with this. Try Hoover.
I agree too. Passion is lacking in minor leagues versus SEC baseball.

Also SEC, for example, has better quality than at least the Appy League.

Really used to enjoy watching batters flailing away at Nuxie's knuckler !!! The catcher would use a mitt as big as a pumpkin to try and corral that thing in. Niekro would win 20 games a year for the Braves but he would also lose 20 games a year for the Braves !!!

How to enjoy baseball...follow me here....

SEC only games, guess which team has allowed the fewest runs?

Well, when is the last time we allowed the fewest runs in a season?

Peeking in occasionally, usually regret it.

I watched the PC...she will do well I think...now, baseball, we can’t be 4-11 after this weekend and expect the ncaa. Call me captain obvious.

6-9, we can work that out. The pitching is there, the fielding is there but the bats gotta come vs SEC pitching.

I watched the PC...she will do well I think...now, baseball, we can’t be 4-11 after this weekend and expect the ncaa. Call me captain obvious.

6-9, we can work that out. The pitching is there, the fielding is there but the bats gotta come vs SEC pitching.

From what I watched of GA last week, I am not overly confident the bats come alive this weekend, but I don’t think we get swept. But as they say, that is why you play the game. I just wish we could get over the hump and learn how to win. I can’t keep myself from thinking about the wins we left on the field.

I hope she does well. Being a VFL is obviously not a necessity for a coach, but it does provide a sense of pride. I really wanted Holly to succeed, she is the quintessential VFL. She was always really good to my parents, as was Pat.

Reactions: vol66
From what I watched of GA last week, I am not overly confident the bats come alive this weekend, but I don’t think we get swept. But as they say, that is why you play the game. I just wish we could get over the hump and learn how to win. I can’t keep myself from thinking about the wins we left on the field.

I hope she does well. Being a VFL is obviously not a necessity for a coach, but it does provide a sense of pride. I really wanted Holly to succeed, she is the quintessential VFL. She was always really good to my parents, as was Pat.

All the way, all the way...I know it’s nuts, they are top 5 for sure, but we need to take care of it this weekend, annnnnnnd you are absolutely correct about what we have left on the table.

Reactions: NorCalVol67
In no particular order, and others may feel free to add to this:

Home runs for your team
One batter versus nine in the field
Well turned double play
Suicide bunt
Hit and run
Stealing home
Double steal
Batter beating the shift
Pinch hitter making big hit
Relay cutting runner down at the plate
Talking with my son about strategy, positions, pitchers setting up the batters - and how batters adapt
Jump throw from short to first
Physical size doesn’t always matter
watching a MLB batting practice
Sharp looking uniforms
Historic stadiums
History of the game
Sunshine, smell of spring/ grass
Tradition
Nerves building as a no hitter is taken to late innings
The play at the plate
Pitches over 100 mph
A great curveball