How to enjoy Baseball

LivinginthePast

Robert Neyland Won more Nattys than rewarded. Why?
I have never really watched much baseball. With the basketball season over and along way to football it Seems like Tennessee is on the sec network a lot. I have always found baseball boring but am willing to try to watch. For you baseball fans what makes it so enjoyable? It seems so slow and boring but that’s from someone who hasn’t ever watched baseball.

I have never really watched much baseball. With the basketball season over and along way to football it Seems like Tennessee is on the sec network a lot. I have always found baseball boring but am willing to try to watch. For you baseball fans what makes it so enjoyable? It seems so slow and boring but that’s from someone who hasn’t ever watched baseball.
If the game is slow and boring to you, it may not be for you. It's a game where individual fundamentals matter more than other team sports. One bad pitch or one booted ground ball can start or extend a rally. It's a lot like a game of chess as far as strategy and adjustments are concerned.

Reactions: Zues1
just my opinion, its like golf or soccer, if you played either of those sport you tend to enjoy watching it more. If you didn't play, they seem boring and you can lose interest quickly.

Personally I like having a game on while I'm doing other things, if it gets exciting I can pay more attention. I very seldom sit down and watch a 9 inning game any more unless its the playoffs or regional (CWS) type college games.

Try softball, it’s great! I’ve found, if I care who wins, it’s not boring, no matter the sport.

i enjoy baseball highlights
But if I’m going to watch it has to be live or the playoffs

I also find baseball boring.

But my dad loved it. He used to play softball as a pitcher. So what he liked is the Chess match, between the Pitcher and the Batter.
A good pitcher/catcher puts balls in certain areas to set up the batter, to either swing or not swing, at a pitch.

Another thing to watch is how the manager moves players around on defense.
Baseball is about stats. They analyse everything.
If you are into statistics, this is a dream sport, because you find out everything about most players/situations.
(especially if you play a fantasy baseball team.)

Where in the strike zone does the hitter have the most success?
When he gets a hit, where does the ball usually go?
Do you walk their best hitter?
Do you move the infield closer for a possible bunt?

If I go to game, I like to people watch, walk around the stadium(in larger parks), and check out the concessions.
I went Mariners games, when I lived in Seattle. Beautiful venue, with great views of the city and surrounding area.
They even have a basement bar inside that looks out from left field.

Because Baseball can be a slow game, it gives you time to socialize and other activities. Especially if the weather is nice.

You don't have to watch every pitch, to enjoy the game. but there can be some tense moments...
Bases loaded with 2 outs... Tie game with a man on third... No hitter in the Ninth...

Find something about the game that intrigues you.

If the game is slow and boring to you, it may not be for you. It's a game where individual fundamentals matter more than other team sports. One bad pitch or one booted ground ball can start or extend a rally. It's a lot like a game of chess as far as strategy and adjustments are concerned.

This. I can't relate to the "baseball is boring" sentiment at all. Between college and mlb, I watch anywhere between 200-300 games a year and follow almost every pitch of those games. The games within the game, the strategy, the build up for each pitch, the ridiculous talent that it takes to squarely hit a round ball with a round bat, the late inning drama, no game clock. I could go on and on.

Baseball is an amazing game and I'm glad that I became a huge fan very young in life.

Reactions: VFFL@THE BEACH
I love baseball. Especially going to the games. Nothing like having a hot dog and tossing back a couple of cold pops. Very good time for socializing due to time between pitches, batters etc

I have been a baseball fan for many years and do enjoy the strategy of it all like many here have said. However, I agree it moves slowly and is really only interesting once a team gets a few runners on base. Therefore, I tend to dvr the game and fast forward until there is a runner in scoring position. Then you experiance the joy of the battle between pitcher and batter and who will make a big play to score. I know baseball purists will probably see this as blasphemy but it works for me. Plus, you can get through a 3 hour plus game in about half the time.

I am a huge baseball fan but I agree that it can be boring. I would love for them to stop letting batters slow the game down by stepping out. It takes too long between pitches and love to watch a game where the pitcher works fast and umpire makes the batters play the game. But I do think you have to appreciate the game and have a knowledge of the intricacies of the game to fully love it.

I also find baseball boring.

But my dad loved it. He used to play softball as a pitcher. So what he liked is the Chess match, between the Pitcher and the Batter.
A good pitcher/catcher puts balls in certain areas to set up the batter, to either swing or not swing, at a pitch.

Another thing to watch is how the manager moves players around on defense.
Baseball is about stats. They analyse everything.
If you are into statistics, this is a dream sport, because you find out everything about most players/situations.
(especially if you play a fantasy baseball team.)

Where in the strike zone does the hitter have the most success?
When he gets a hit, where does the ball usually go?
Do you walk their best hitter?
Do you move the infield closer for a possible bunt?

If I go to game, I like to people watch, walk around the stadium(in larger parks), and check out the concessions.
I went Mariners games, when I lived in Seattle. Beautiful venue, with great views of the city and surrounding area.
They even have a basement bar inside that looks out from left field.

Because Baseball can be a slow game, it gives you time to socialize and other activities. Especially if the weather is nice.

You don't have to watch every pitch, to enjoy the game. but there can be some tense moments...
Bases loaded with 2 outs... Tie game with a man on third... No hitter in the Ninth...

Find something about the game that intrigues you.
Great analysis of the game!
Simply stated “some people play checkers and some play chess.” Love the game and the history!

In no particular order, and others may feel free to add to this:

Home runs for your team
One batter versus nine in the field
Well turned double play
Suicide bunt
Hit and run
Stealing home
Double steal
Batter beating the shift
Pinch hitter making big hit
Relay cutting runner down at the plate
Talking with my son about strategy, positions, pitchers setting up the batters - and how batters adapt
Jump throw from short to first
Physical size doesn’t always matter
watching a MLB batting practice
Sharp looking uniforms
Historic stadiums
History of the game
Sunshine, smell of spring/ grass
Tradition
Nerves building as a no hitter is taken to late innings
The play at the plate
Pitches over 100 mph
A great curveball
A great throw from right to third
Relaxation

One of the things I love about college baseball is that it’s affordable.

I reckon that is not what is being asked, but that is why I originally became a fan.

I was looking for something we could afford, as a family. Even the SEC Championship in Hoover is doable for us.

Then I picked up on the nuances of the game, the stories about the individual players, the reasons some programs are more successful than others.

In my opinion, it’s what college sports should be about.

I am also a stat nerd.

I might add, in addition, the Baseball Forum absolutely has the most positive group of posters on VN, fantastic bunch of fanatics that have suffered like none other, but maintain a demeanor second to none.

I love it!!!

GBO!!!

Last edited:
In no particular order, and others may feel free to add to this:

Home runs for your team
One batter versus nine in the field
Well turned double play
Suicide bunt
Hit and run
Stealing home
Double steal
Batter beating the shift
Pinch hitter making big hit
Relay cutting runner down at the plate
Talking with my son about strategy, positions, pitchers setting up the batters - and how batters adapt
Jump throw from short to first
Physical size doesn’t always matter
watching a MLB batting practice
Sharp looking uniforms
Historic stadiums
History of the game
Sunshine, smell of spring/ grass
Tradition
Nerves building as a no hitter is taken to late innings
The play at the plate
Pitches over 100 mph
A great curveball
A great throw from right to third
Relaxation

Anytime the bases are loaded
Managers fighting for their guys
PLAYERS RESPECTING THE GAME by not showing up opposing players
Catcher throwing a strike to catch a guy stealing
A pickle
Music before each batter
The funny one liners former baseball players say during the game
Cubs winning the 2016 World Series

Reactions: @1RBFjr
Never played as a kid (which I regret), but I enjoy watching it now. It can be slow, and as someone else said, I rarely sit and watch a full game unless I'm actually attending, but if it's on TV I'll usually watch the first couple of innings and at least the last one. There's just something about it that draws me in. Idk if it's the strategy involved or just the novelty of it all. No game clock, stats pretty much tell 100% of the story, and there are so many minute details to the game that really make you respect the level of skill you're actually witnessing. As far as attending, it has one of the most unique atmospheres of any sport. I honestly don't expect everyone to enjoy it. Baseball is like the Broadway Show to Football's Summer Blockbuster lol

There is a lot of strategy between mangers during the game. Little things, big things. It is a team sport. However, there is an immense amount of individual skill sets that have to gel together with 8 other players on the field knowing where to exactly be and what's going to happen at any given time. Personally, I think it is a game that requires more skills of an individual player than any other team sport. If you get into it, it's addicting. If you played it at some point, it's addicting. If the HS team your son plays on has a bad coach it's unbearable.

Reactions: tntar heel
don't.

I mean, Go Vols. but still.

Reactions: T-TownVol
Understanding the nuances and the moves managers make throughout the game would make it more interesting. As others have mentioned there is a lot of strategy that goes on. If you watch MLB, go with the NL. With pitchers batting it forces the managers to make more strategic decisions. The DH is the worst rule in all of sports and should be banished to the depths of hell.

If you have a chance, go to games. Listen to the radio broadcasts. If you are near a college, go. As 66 mentioned they are affordable. Minor league baseball is awesome. It is affordable and it still has the feel of guys playing because they love the game. Even American Legion baseball can be great. My ex was not a fan of baseball until I started taking her to games, and now she is a huge Giants fan and goes to spring training nearly every year.

Just as I was born a Vol, I was also born a baseball fan because of my Dad. He coached baseball and I spent pretty much every day of summer at the baseball field. I cherish the memories of going to Cardinals games as a kid with my Dad as much as I do going to Vol football and basketball games as well as baseball games when the Vols played at Memphis State. This is a long way of saying baseball gets in the blood easier if you grew up playing and going to games.

Reactions: Element01
Football:
3rd down and 3, QB run and gains close to a 1st down bring out chains measure 2 inches short, play under review 5 minute commercial break, 4th down teams line up play clock runs down Time Out 5 minute commercial break, 4th down Punt fair caught 7 minute commercial break.
1st down 4 yard run 30 second play clock winds down end of Qtr 11 minute commercial break, 2nd down pass incomplete coach challenges the play 5 minute commercial break play upheld incomplete pass, 3rd down QB flushed runs out of bounds loss of 3, Center slow to get up injury TO 7 minute commercial break, 4th down Punt out of bounds 7 minute commercial break.

In 45 plus minutes there has been 40 minutes of commercials 5 plays run (2 of which were Punts) and 4 yards of offense and 1:17 run off the clock. Most Football games can be condensed into less than 12 minutes of real time and it takes 4 hours to play a lot of it is standing around and replays and commercials

BUT people claim Baseball is Boring!!!!!

Football:
3rd down and 3, QB run and gains close to a 1st down bring out chains measure 2 inches short, play under review 5 minute commercial break, 4th down teams line up play clock runs down Time Out 5 minute commercial break, 4th down Punt fair caught 7 minute commercial break.
1st down 4 yard run 30 second play clock winds down end of Qtr 11 minute commercial break, 2nd down pass incomplete coach challenges the play 5 minute commercial break play upheld incomplete pass, 3rd down QB flushed runs out of bounds loss of 3, Center slow to get up injury TO 7 minute commercial break, 4th down Punt out of bounds 7 minute commercial break.

In 45 plus minutes there has been 40 minutes of commercials 5 plays run (2 of which were Punts) and 4 yards of offense and 1:17 run off the clock. Most Football games can be condensed into less than 12 minutes of real time and it takes 4 hours to play a lot of it is standing around and replays and commercials

BUT people claim Baseball is Boring!!!!!

Uh have u watched football lately? It’s no huddle go go go with a lot of teams.

I love to keep score for a game and I cant think of a better way to learn the game. It keeps you paying attention and may also reveal some of the strategy between pitcher and hitters as well as the managers. I'm sure there are many you tube videos to explain how to do it and you can print scorecard online. Being so close to so many minor and a major league team has eased the spring and summer pains of no football until September for me.

Uh have u watched football lately? It’s no huddle go go go with a lot of teams.
Yes I have but most of the no huddle teams still run the play clock down and what I stated still happens regularly.
Plus with football you get tons of mismatches and blowouts. I am not entertained watching Alabama up 28-0 in the 1 Qtr with the opposition team with less than 20 yards offense.
I do not hate Football but it can be more boring than baseball at times. My point is Every sport has exciting moments and boring moments.
Watch baseball and understand It’s never over and I have seen teams come back down 5 in the bottom of the 9th to win. Even a 1-0 baseball game is exciting because one swing of the bat can change the outcome drastically.

Reactions: LivinginthePast

VN Store

Back