How often has Tennessee been favored against Florida?

volbound1700

I keep hearing about the 1 out of 17 but I noticed that Florida was heavily favored or higher ranked in most of those matchups.

I know 2002 is one exception but I don't see many matchups were we are favored like we are now.

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
I keep hearing about the 1 out of 17 but I noticed that Florida was heavily favored or higher ranked in most of those matchups.

I know 2002 is one exception but I don't see many matchups were we are favored like we are now.

Should have been in 2005 even tho we sucked, 2006 unsure but we got robbed, definitely were in 2016 when #13 & they #19, probably in 2017 when we crapped the bed once again. Other than that I doubt any that I can remember.

Reactions: volbound1700
Since 1990, I believe UT was ranked higher in 90, 91, 93, 96, 99, 02, 03, 05, 16, 17. They won in 90, 03, 16. So they won 3 out of 10, a few times UT should have won those with the better talent (the Peyton years were particularly painful) and somehow luck or whatever helped UF. Just like last year, if UT was scheduled at the end of the year (like the year before) it would have been a cake walk, but no, UF had to fall apart after the UT game. Nothing surprises me with this series. I remember UT was 20 points underdogs in 01 and won, then lost to Saban in the title game.

Reactions: UTFanHades
People forget, Florida wasn’t in the conversation until Steve spurrier. UCLA was more of a rival than Florida, Just saying gators have had a run but nothing like the VOLs of old. GBO

This. Also, out of the 16/17 we weren’t even consistently beating Vandy, Kentucky, Mizzou or South Carolina those years. Everyone noticed we kept losing to the big 3, and rightfully so. But no one mentioned that we lost to the other teams quite a bit as well.

This. People talk about it being a mental issue but it looks like Florida was just better than us most years. I don't remember a time that we were this favored to beat them. That gives me even more hope. The closest that I can think of was 2015 and 2016.

2014 and 2015 are really the only two games that I felt like Tennessee choked against Florida (post Fulmer, there were some major Fulmer chokes against them as well but that was a different era).

Not sure if this is true, but I heard on a podcast that Tennessee has never been favored by double digits in this game.

Since 1990, I believe UT was ranked higher in 90, 91, 93, 96, 99, 02, 03, 05, 16, 17. They won in 90, 03, 16. So they won 3 out of 10, a few times UT should have won those with the better talent (the Peyton years were particularly painful) and somehow luck or whatever helped UF. Just like last year, if UT was scheduled at the end of the year (like the year before) it would have been a cake walk, but no, UF had to fall apart after the UT game. Nothing surprises me with this series. I remember UT was 20 points underdogs in 01 and won, then lost to Saban in the title game.
They had better coaching in all the years except Zook’s tenure as well. Now we have the better team and a much better offensively-minded coach. Our coach has a reputation for blowing out defenses. Theirs has a reputation of winning by 7 or less. Somehow this team and coach has put my chronic BVS in remission.

Not sure if this is true, but I heard on a podcast that Tennessee has never been favored by double digits in this game.
Article I just read said it has been 50 years since we were favored by 10+ points.

So somewhere around the '70 or '71 game.

We won both of those matches, btw. Score was 38-7 in '70 ... 20-13 in '71. We were ranked #11 or #12 both those years, too, just like this year.

Reactions: jwilliams
In the last 20 years Tennessee has been favored to win 6 times.

2002 (-5.5) FL 30 TN 13
2004 (-3.0) FL 28 TN 30
2012 (-3.0) FL 37 TN 20
2014 (-1.0) FL 10 TN 9
2015 (-1.0) TN 27 FL 28
2016 (-5.0) FL 28 TN 38
The fact we were favored in '12, '14, and '15 says a lot about the falloff of Florida as a national power, because we were either pretty bad or really young in addition to being poorly coached in all of those seasons.

2002 was the most miserable game I've ever attended in person, while 2004 was the best game I've ever attended in person.

I hope this year is different, and I understand why a lot of Vol fans are so confident, but at the same time we've invented so many ways of losing to this program I just refuse to get too optimistic.

The fact we were favored in '12, '14, and '15 says a lot about the falloff of Florida as a national power, because we were either pretty bad or really young in addition to being poorly coached in all of those seasons.

2002 was the most miserable game I've ever attended in person, while 2004 was the best game I've ever attended in person.

I hope this year is different, and I understand why a lot of Vol fans are so confident, but at the same time we've invented so many ways of losing to this program I just refuse to get too optimistic.

Agree. The 2002 collapse in general made 0 sense. Never understood that one and the 2005 collapse. That was when Fulmer started to come under question and our program started to slide. 2002 was my freshmen year at Tennessee and I remember standing in the rain during that game. (For some reason that was only game that I sat with parents instead of student section). We were heavy favorites to win SEC in 2002 and had the talent to do it.

2002 Tennessee maybe the most disappointing team in our program's history. 2005 was worse but I felt like that team had been overrated.

VN Store

Back