How much difference does player height make in Volleyball?

I was shocked by how easily Stanford disposed of BYU. I kinda thought BYU might win it all this year. Shows what I know. Looks like Stanford will be the champion yet again. :( They pretty much own the Olympic sports it seems always at or very near the top of the standings. they will be a handful against the Lady Vols in basketball this coming Tuesday. Our girls best bring their A+ game, IMO.

I wonder what the story is with the freshman girl from Webb who was playing for Nebraska that shortstop mentioned? I know under the old coach we had a mixed to bad reputation so maybe the negatives were too great for CER to overcome based on plans and potential. We sure could have used her this year and into the future. Our setters were decent, but she's all-world it seems. Maybe next time. :)

Her mom is the coach at Webb and owns the top volleyball club in Knoxville K2. They have close ties with UT, old coach and new coach. Nebraska is the defending national champ UT was nothing the last few years. Not much of a decision really. The younger daughter will be playing at Pepperdine next season.

Last edited:
Her mom is the coach at Webb and owns the top volleyball club in Knoxville K2. They have close ties with UT, old coach and new coach. Nebraska is the defending national champ UT was nothing the last few years. Not much of a decision really. The younger daughter will be playing a Pepperdine next season.

Well, that explains that then. Although I'll have to say that their ties to UT must not have been too close. Thanks for the info.

Her mom is the coach at Webb and owns the top volleyball club in Knoxville K2. They have close ties with UT, old coach and new coach. Nebraska is the defending national champ UT was nothing the last few years. Not much of a decision really. The younger daughter will be playing a Pepperdine next season.
I did not know about any close ties but Nebraska was the best choice for the best setter in the USofA. Pepperdine would be a great choice as well since VB is a big deal there as well. I have researched some of the going ons with the previous staff quite a bit and was following VB then as well. We lost 4 great players in one single year and transfers in and out for several years. Seems to have been a mixture of things but coaching and communication was a great deal of the problems. I know CRP never minded being loud and hard to work with but it must have gotten worse because all those ladies signed with him!

Well, that explains that then. Although I'll have to say that their ties to UT must not have been too close. Thanks for the info.

I mean if being personal friends with a players high school coach, club coach and parent doesn't qualify for close what does?

Stanford wins title 3-2. Great match with two powerhouse teams playing. I was pulling for Nebraska since I never want the cardinal to win any championship but they did. Big tall athletic ladies giving it their all for both teams.

Reactions: StrangeVol
6'6......6'6......6'4......6'4.......6'2......6'2.......6'2.......6'1.......6'1

Thus the question of how important is height in women's college volleyball has been answered.

Last edited:
Stanford wins title 3-2. Great match with two powerhouse teams playing. I was pulling for Nebraska since I never want the cardinal to win any championship but they did. Big tall athletic ladies giving it their all for both teams.

Really great match even though the wrong team won. Those big girls from Stanford are really impressive as GameTime said above and the Nebraska girls were no slouches either. I didn't get to see all of it but what I saw was great volleyball! :)

Here's hoping CER can build a team like those two. It will take a while but it can be done here in East Tennessee.

Reactions: sccshortstop
That was a great final, Nebraska gave it all they had and so did Stanford. Could have went the other way easily.

Strange, the game last night was epic.....Nebraska was gallant in defeat....Another benefit of a tall front line is the negative psychological effect it has on the other team when their spike is driven back into their court....

The game is going to be rebroadcast on ESPN again tomorrow, or Tuesday....I'll try and look it up the time for those that missed this fantastic game....

I agree whole heartily about UT needing some more big girls to compete on the big stage come tournament time.....

Strange, the game last night was epic.....Nebraska was gallant in defeat....Another benefit of a tall front line is the negative psychological effect it has on the other team when their spike is driven back into their court....

The game is going to be rebroadcast on ESPN again tomorrow, or Tuesday....I'll try and look it up the time for those that missed this fantastic game....

I agree whole heartily about UT needing some more big girls to compete on the big stage come tournament time.....

Do that please! I'd love to watch the whole match without interruption. :)

Nebraska and Stanford will be rebroadcast at 6 AM Monday morning, on one of the ESPN stations....Set your DVR's and enjoy it at a more decent hour...

It is an epic game...EPIC!

the question of height for volleyball or basketball is up to the shoulders plus length of arms. the length of the neck nor the size of the head are not important. In basketball the term is wing span in basketball.

the question of height for volleyball or basketball is up to the shoulders plus length of arms. the length of the neck nor the size of the head are not important. In basketball the term is wing span in basketball.

All I know Stanford has some tall girls that spike the ball, in the other teams face, like spike driving railroad gangs of yesteryear.......Then they block the other teams spikes right back at them, like rubber balls bouncing off tall walls.

They look the part of champions......

I watched the match and I was glad I did. The girl from Nebraska, #26 (forgot name) impressed me the most. Whenever Nebraska needed a point, she delivered. I think she is a middle blocker. It was just uncanny maybe that she was involved in the action when Nebraska needed her most.

Basically, I couldn't root for either team, neither wore orange...........so............there you go.

Eve Rackham picks up a MB transfer from North Carolina to fill the void left by Erica Treiber. 6'2" MB Ava Bell will come in as a sophomore to Tennessee! She was the No. 51 ranked player in the 2018 class coming out of high school.

Here were her stats for the 2018 season: 91 sets played; 210 kills (2.31 p/set, ranked 3rd on team); .259 hitting percentage (2nd on team); 90 total blocks (0.99 p/set, ranked 1st on team).

North Carolina was not very good this year so I'll be interested to see what Ava Bell will be able to do with our coaching staff and better cast of players around her.

Eve Rackham picks up a MB transfer from North Carolina to fill the void left by Erica Treiber. 6'2" MB Ava Bell will come in as a sophomore to Tennessee! She was the No. 51 ranked player in the 2018 class coming out of high school.

Here were her stats for the 2018 season: 91 sets played; 210 kills (2.31 p/set, ranked 3rd on team); .259 hitting percentage (2nd on team); 90 total blocks (0.99 p/set, ranked 1st on team).

North Carolina was not very good this year so I'll be interested to see what Ava Bell will be able to do with our coaching staff and better cast of players around her.

Sounds like a quality pick-up. It's especially good to have gotten a replacement middle blocker to blunt the sting of Erica's graduation. By any chance is Ava a player Coach Rackham recruited to North Carolina?

Glad to have AVA on board, as a freshman she put up some impressive numbers! :)

Reactions: sccshortstop
Any girls 6'6 looking to transfer here? I'd be happy with a 6'5 girl even.

I re-watched the big game again and the height of Stanford was just too much.....Unless a team has the big girls patrolling the net, you are most likely playing for an also ran position....

It's still fun to follow them, but it's the not the X's and O's, but it's usually the tall Jane's and Jill's, that determine the ultimate winner of the big trophy.

Sounds like a quality pick-up. It's especially good to have gotten a replacement middle blocker to blunt the sting of Erica's graduation. By any chance is Ava a player Coach Rackham recruited to North Carolina?

Glad to have AVA on board, as a freshman she put up some impressive numbers! :)
I do not know the answer to that but I would bet she was since she was the main recruiter. I would be surprised some what if we have any transfers. Most everyone fell in love with CER and her style and her attention to detail. Look forward to her finding some taller athletic ladies in the future which I think she will do! JMHO as always!

VN Store

Back