How many years will it take

I have finally conceded to the fact, that the Vols may never get back to championship football:cray:

Next year will suck. Will be bowling the year after. Saban will retire or stroke out at the end of year 2 and Pruitt will go to bama. We will hire Gruden after his 2 years of failure with the raiders. Gruden will coach for one year and go back to broadcasting. We will hire Dooley after he takes app state to a 9-3 record.

Dooley peaks at 7-5 app st, maybe 8-4

If you research modern history about how long it takes to win a National Championship at a school...say since 2000, I was actually surprised. Basically within 2-4 years...WOW! had no idea.

Some outliers, are Larry Coker who won it all his 1st season at the U in Miami...and it did take Mack Brown and Dabo both 8 years. Mack had 9-11 wins every year, until he won it, so U of TX hung with him. Dabo started winning 10-11 games his 4th-7th, until he snagged one his 8th.

Not sure that this modern day data means anything, but it's interesting.
Tells me you gotta win 10-11 within 4 years and at least hold there...maybe snag a National Championship within 2 'four-year' full recruiting class rotations (equates to 8 years).

iT MAY NEVER HAPPEN, FOR the last 10 years , I have been thinking just 3-4 years from now, we will be back in the top ten. I was simple enough to believe that Butch could get her done. I am now bitter and skeptical and resigned to never being top ten again. We are the worst team in the SEC , look how many teams we will have to pass to the top. My son is 49 so he may live to see it- I doubt I will.

Reactions: 2 people
iT MAY NEVER HAPPEN, FOR the last 10 years , I have been thinking just 3-4 years from now, we will be back in the top ten. I was simple enough to believe that Butch could get her done. I am now bitter and skeptical and resigned to never being top ten again. We are the worst team in the SEC , look how many teams we will have to pass to the top. My son is 49 so he may live to see it- I doubt I will.

I agree. TN has ceased to function like a top tier program. They have done nothing in the past 10 years to offer encouragement beyond "give it 3 or 4 years and hope for the best." The Pruitt hire only serves to cement this positioning. So I guess I have no choice but to give it 3 or 4 years and hope for the best, but my enthusiasm for UT football is at an all time low. (50+ years)

Reactions: 1 person
What is your definition of compete? Who on our team could be in the 2 deep at Bama or Georgia? T. Smith and possibly Chandler on offense. On defense, possibly Bitulli, Kirkland, Tuttle, Phillips and Gaulden.

Byrd...playing at the right position.

You can get a pretty accurate measurement of a coaches ability within 2 years.

Not sure how many wins that equates to but I think we’ll all know deep down if he has “it” or if he’s just another failed experiment.

Not sure how many wins that equates to but I think we’ll all know deep down if he has “it” or if he’s just another failed experiment.

Agree.

Considering that the desire was to get a better coach than the previous - he needs to better the first two years of the last coach. If he doesn't we are looking at a change again.

Has no one read the original post? It's not asking how long to compete, or how long to win a national championship.

He wants to know how long it would take to build the type of talented depth that Alabama currently has on Defense.

We should know if Pruitt is the real deal by year 2. We should be competing for championships somewhere around year 3 or 4. We should know what the future holds in year 5.

But even if we won a National championship in year 3, we wouldn't have the depth Bama currently has until we have like 5 straight #1 classes.

I think so. I'm not putting up with anymore rebuilding or excuses. Other coaches have done it in 2-3 years so by the end of year five if he hasn't won the east him and Fulmer need to be run out of town.

Per the ORIGINAL post question, 2-4 years for the Defensive consistent skill/violence/swarm/strength/depth to be like Alabama displayed the other night against Clemson.
As a side-note, a great S&C coach will really help expedite this process.

Now, with that will get us the double-digit win seasons, and hopefully an East Championship falls within that, and a potential National CFP birth thereafter.

However...

I think running Pruitt/Fulmer out of town after Year 5 is possible if the 'W's' record justifies it. The greatest coaches in history average about 9 wins/season over a career...so it's adjusted closer to 10, with the longer seasons as of late...if it's around those average per se, or 10-11 year W season year 5, all's still fine without an Championship 'W'. You keep them all.

Want a National Title? Hire a Coach, Wait Three Years article:

Want a National Title? Hire a Coach, Wait Three Years - The New York Times

Last edited:

How come it took us 5 years to fire Butch then? Are we just that stupid or what?

VN Store

Back