How many wins?

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
How many games to we have to win this year to make the season a sucessful one?

7,8,9? SEC Championship? What do you think?

Successful, considering the qb and safety situations, would probably be 8 or 9 wins. Anything less, and there is a problem, considering the talent that is elsewhere on the field.

Anything more, at this point, would be a definite plus, imo.

Anything less than 8 is unacceptable in my book, winning the SEC this year is probably a pipedream.

I'll probably take some flak for this but my guess is that we'll win 6 or 7 games.

A. Freshman QB's that don't have they system down.
B. Freshman QB's that haven't had enough time to learn the tendencies of their recievers and vice-versa.
C. Freshman mistakes, turn-overs, etc.
D. Inexperienced defensive backfield.
E. Offensive line that seems to underperform from time to time.
F. (this is really not my idea) Starting TB who everyone but me says has no heart and no vision.

OK, that is the doomsday version. We're green, but we have a lot of talent. If we can slowly wade this group of talented players into the action and minimize mistakes, make a few big plays and our D plays to its potential then we win 9.

JMO

Attachments

• fulmer100_l.jpg
    fulmer100_l.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 0
Originally posted by BHAMVOLFAN@Sep 2, 2004 10:50 PM
I'll probably take some flak for this but my guess is that we'll win 6 or 7 games.

A. Freshman QB's that don't have they system down.
B. Freshman QB's that haven't had enough time to learn the tendencies of their recievers and vice-versa.
C. Freshman mistakes, turn-overs, etc.
D. Inexperienced defensive backfield.
E. Offensive line that seems to underperform from time to time.
F. (this is really not my idea) Starting TB who everyone but me says has no heart and no vision.

OK, that is the doomsday version. We're green, but we have a lot of talent. If we can slowly wade this group of talented players into the action and minimize mistakes, make a few big plays and our D plays to its potential then we win 9.

JMO

You could be right. It's very possible that we could only win 6-7 games. Highly unlikely, but possible. :D

Honestly VF I Hope you are correct. Wasn't trying to be negative about the Vols, truth is I love them (including Fulmer and Ced) win or lose. But we do have some obstacles to deal with in order to win 8 or 9 games. If we win that many, then Fulmer will have done his finest job so far as HC including 1998.

No question it could be a really tough year. I think we will know a lot more come Sunday.

9 games is my goal for the year....that's what I think will make it a success.

B-Ham, nice signature.

UNLV - win
Florida - ?
LaTech - win
Auburn - ?
Georgia - loss
Ole Miss - win
Bama - win
S. Carolina - ?
Notre Dame - win
KY - win
Vandy - win

At least seven.

I think the Auburn game is a definite lock. Payback is hell.

UNLV - WIN. Ugly.

Florida - LOSS. Tight and we lose at the wire...but we like what we saw except for losing.

LaTech - WIN. Don't think so LaTech....even with freshmen.

Auburn - WIN. Close..and we get 'em at the buzzer 'cause we in OUR HOUSE! The freshmen step up and pull it off either together or separate.

Georgia - Loss. Though I hate to...gotta hand it to Georgia. They've had our number the last few years and will continue. But look out next year baby.

Ole Miss - WIN. Cutcliffe has one more year and unless an Eli Manning comes along...he's out.

Bama - WIN. But tight as the Tide will utilize the "grudge match" mentality.

S. Carolina - WIN. Tight. This could be a back breaker and could go their way. They always seem to play us tough but the longer Holtz stays at a job the worse his team seems to get.

Notre Dame - LOSS. I think Willingham will have his boys ready.

Vandy - WIN...but this one scares the heck outta me. I think Cutler is a FINE Quarterback...one of the best in the SEC and I think they have a decent coach. I think Vanderbilt turns heads this year but we'll see if the curse lives on.

KY - WIN. Same ole Kentucky. If it ain't round they can't play with it.

That puts us at 8-3 and I think all will be fairly pleased considering the circumstances.

We then go to a bowl game and wax somebody and we're really fired up about next year because THE GHOST is gonna take it to the promised land BaBay!

And my opinion is worth what you paid for it.

peace,
Ken

UNLV - WIN. The Rebs will have a hard time finding the endzone.

Florida - WIN. Zook factor.

LaTech - WIN. More experience for the freshmen qbs.

Auburn - WIN. This will not be a re-run from last year.

at Georgia - WIN. I have faith. I remember the 9 game streak too much. I also know that the Dawgs are good for at least 2 regular season losses each season. The Vols get 'em the week after they play LSU. The QB position should be solidified by this game too.

at Ole Miss - WIN. If this was last season, I would have said loss... but, now there is no Manning.

Bama - WIN. Tide has no depth. And the Vols should be emotional for this one. Don't believe the hype this year either, the Tide end up with a losing record.

at S. Carolina - WIN. It'll be close as always.

Notre Dame - WIN. The Irish just can't compete against the speed of the SEC.

at Vandy - WIN. This one will be close 'cause it always is.

KY - WIN. Round out the season with another win over the Mildcats.

Wow :pepper: , call me crazy too.... I guess I agree with LIO. The only tough game I see on the schedule is at Georgia.... but I can't help but think the streak has to end some time, and I'm familiar enough with Georgia football to know that even if they have the talent they always underachieve. That coupled with injuries they are already sustaining gives me an optimistic feeling about this game and season. The only other teams, beside Ga, with a shot at beating the Vols are Fla, Aub, and ND... I don't think they will lose to all of them. I'm going out on a limb and saying that the Vols can finish 11-0 but at worse 9-2.
:twocents:

Notre Dame - LOSS. I think Willingham will have his boys ready.

No freak'n way the luck of the Irish will not be a factor!!!! and Willingham wouldn't have his boys ready to beat Vandy(overrated!!!!!!)

Notre Dame has a tough road to hoe before they come to Knoxville. If that game was earlier in the season, they may have a better chance. After having played Michigan, Michigan State, and Purdue, among others, they will most likely have 3-4 losses under their belt. Of course, UT could, as well, but I still don't see the Irish beating us this year. It could be a tight game, however.

Auburn is a tough one to pick. We have no idea which team which show up for them this year. They looked great for a stretch through the middle of the season last year, after their horrible start, beating us and Arkansas, along with a couple of creampuffs. Then they went to Baton Rouge and got shut down again. September 18th wil tell alot about both UT and Auburn, as UT plays UF that day, and the barn hosts LSU.

Speaking of Florida, this one will be another tough one for the Vols. if we can get the ground game going, we should be OK on the offensive side. I'm more worried about our defensive backfield, though. While UF doesn't have a Reidel Anthony or Ike Hilliard playing wr for them, they have some good players and a qb who can get them the ball with time. Should be an interesting matchup. This is one of those games that UT will either win close, or it could be a double digit loss. I certainly hope for the former.

I see alot of people picking USC to beat us this year. I'll believe it when I see it. Sure, they have played us close recently, but that doesn't mean a damn thing if they don't win. We get them late in the year again, and that is when USC seems to begin it's annual slide in what they call the ORANGE CRUSH (for a number of years, they played UT, UF, and Clemson three games in a row). Right now, this is a toss up. if UT learns to defend that off tackle play they ran out of the shotgun 100 times against us last, we should win this one.

UGA is probably a given loss, but everyone thought that about Miami last year, too. As much as I hate to say it, UGA probably gets #5 in a row.

Having said all of that, i stick with my prediction of 8-9 wins. We will win 1, possibly 2 of these toss up games mentioned.

with all the questions at RB , QB, OL, DB nothing will be a suprise ,it will all depend on how much grit this club has, our row is gonna be tough to hoe too. The big advantage we will have is having those big boys at home in front of one of UT's biggest weapons... the fans making their spleens quiver from all the noise and hearing Rocky Top till their ears bleed!!!

Offensive coaches still the same and now have freshmen starting 5 to 6 wins.

My goal is 9..........but even 8 I will be happy!!!! I dont think anything less than 8 will do!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by la.lovesorange@Sep 3, 2004 6:09 PM
My goal is 9..........but even 8 I will be happy!!!! I dont think anything less than 8 will do!!!!!!!!!!

I tend to agree. With 8 wins I am not happy but not too upset.

Yea, I think less than eight.............people will be out for Fulmers head!!!!!!!

Originally posted by la.lovesorange@Sep 3, 2004 6:30 PM
Yea, I think less than eight.............people will be out for Fulmers head!!!!!!!

I think people will be out for his head even if he wins 8.

VN Store

Back