How Many Turnovers are Acceptable

Rickster

VFL
To me, 3 turnovers a game by Alexus is not bad, especially when a team runs. How many turnovers per game is acceptable to you from an individual and team perspective?

Last edited:
Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
No turnovers are acceptable

-- Pat Summit--

Don't take her name in vain like that. That is not a CPS quote. I can recall when she said the way her team played was not the vol way or unacceptable but she never issued a blanket indictment like that. Any good coach will accept some miscues or else players become afraid to take risks. If a team is going for a fast break and a pass gets a little ahead and goes out of bounds, any decent coach will go, "good idea" or something to that effect. Turnovers are part of the game. The ones that kill you are the ones that lead to transition points.

NCAA College Women's Basketball DI current team Stats | NCAA.com

The Lady Vols averaged 16.6 turnovers per game which put them at #221 in D1. The lowest average of teams that played more than 20 games was 10.2 turnovers per game.

The SEC schools better than the LV's:

Arkansas (10.8) which was good for #3 nationally
Kentucky (12.6) (#23)
Alabama (13.6) (#48)
South Carolina (14.1) (#69)
Mississippi State (14.4) (#86)
Florida (14.5) (#87)
Texas A&M (14.6) (#97)
Missouri (14.9) (#114)
Auburn (15.3) (#147)
Ole Miss (16.3) (#203)
LSU (16.5) (#212)

If the Lady Vols could reduce turnovers per game by 5 they are in the top 10.

The teams left standing the longest averaged:

Louisville (12.0)
Maryland (12.0)
Arizona (12.1)
Stanford (12.8)
NC State (12.9)
UConn (14.1)
Baylor (16.0)

Last edited:
I think with the up tempo offenses these days under 15 is totally acceptable. Turnovers only matter if one team gets a huge advantage in a game. If you can force 20 turnovers then committing 20 turnovers does not cause a deficit for you in possessions. There are so many other factors like offensive rebounds, getting to the foul line and shooting percentage. The key for any team in a game is to create more possessions and more shot attempts in a game than their opponents get. That is decided by turnovers and offensive rebounds. Tennessee has not been good in getting more shot attempts than their opponents in games. We've also struggled in getting to the foul line and three point field goals. With field goal attempts being equal and field goals made being equal you still lose if your opponent scores more three point field goals than you do. We lost both Georgia games because they outscored us both times by four or five three point shots which we didn't make up by getting to the foul line or scoring enough two point goals to make up that difference. Lost by 2 points both times. Without the three point field goal being in the game we win by five both times.

That is why I was hoping that we could get another three point shooter it is a part of the game that you can't ignore. If the other team is outscoring you there then you have to be making it up with more two point field goals or free throws. You can look at all 8 games we lost and we had huge deficits from the three point line. We also had some deficits from the three in games we won, but managed to make several more field goals and free throws to make up the deficit. If you are going to play without a three point offense then you really must have a team that wins the turnover and offensive rebound categories so you can create enough possessions and additional shots at the basket to overcome the three point deficits.

Turnovers are a double-edged sword. I don't think it is bad to see some turnovers as we attack the basket. I like uptempo ball and turnovers are a byproduct of that style. What bothers me more are the momentum killing turnovers. We normally have 5 or 6 of those a game. When those are occurring, we are normally being bad passers. Would love to eliminate those and bring the team turnover average down to 12 or so a game.

I hope new see another leap forward in reducing turnovers. We have consistently gotten better over the past couple of years albeit not fast enough for some. Had they had a normal offseason, I believe their passing and anticipation would have been better. Hope to see more improvement along those lines but not at the risk of nullifying our running game.

To me, 3 turnovers a game is not bad, especially when a team runs. How many turnovers per game is acceptable to you from an individual and team perspective?

I think a number is tough. How fast do you play in terms of possessions? What is your overall offensive efficiency? How much are you relied on to create?

That's a tough question, no turn-overs are acceptable but 10-12 per game is about average for the better teams. Like has been said, with up tempo play typically produce more turn-overs, I wouldn't call the Lady Vols play scorching the court but they do play fast however, 16 a game is way too high. Bad passes drive coaches nuts, walks as well, and so many of LV turn-overs were bad passes while playing with their head down.

If CKH can cut 4 to 5 turn-overs per game we will have a better chance at deeper runs in SEC and NCAA tournaments and better overall record.

GBO

Depends on the position one is playing. You do not want turn overs inside the paint. We ad a few of those last year. Generally, you want assists to be at least 2 times greater than turn overs.

Personally, I have difficulty using TO as a single unit of measurement. Rae had the greatest number of TOs on the team - her TOs could be reduced if she were to let the game come to her at times versus her agressive drives. (-1) If Horston reduced the number of charges (-.75) Jordan can have less steals ( -.75) Team reduces passes into the post that are stolen (-1.25) silly mistakes eliminated (-1.5) Summary (-4.75 round up to -5) Conclusion a Boarder has the statistical answer for meeting an acceptable number of TOs. Not how do I get the individual players to made the necessary adjustments ?

IMO how acceptable t.o.s are depends on how well you shoot. If you're going to give away possessions, you better take advantage of the ones you have left. The unholy combination of high volume give aways and poor shooting is what's holding back the LVs.

NCAA College Women's Basketball DI current team Stats | NCAA.com

The Lady Vols averaged 16.6 turnovers per game which put them at #221 in D1. The lowest average of teams that played more than 20 games was 10.2 turnovers per game.

The SEC schools better than the LV's:

Arkansas (10.8) which was good for #3 nationally
Kentucky (12.6) (#23)
Alabama (13.6) (#48)
South Carolina (14.1) (#69)
Mississippi State (14.4) (#86)
Florida (14.5) (#87)
Texas A&M (14.6) (#97)
Missouri (14.9) (#114)
Auburn (15.3) (#147)
Ole Miss (16.3) (#203)
LSU (16.9) (#212)

If the Lady Vols could reduce turnovers per game by 5 they are in the top 10.

The teams left standing the longest averaged:

Louisville (12.0)
Maryland (12.0)
Arizona (12.1)
Stanford (12.8)
NC State (12.9)
UConn (14.1)
Baylor (16.0)
So 16.6 is #221. But LSU avg 16.9 and they were #212. I’m not the smartest person in the world but....
just busting your hump Rickster. Lol

If your trying to be a year in year out championship contending team that number needs to be 10 or less. If a teams defense is elite in all phases, then that number could be slightly higher 10 -- 15, but any number beyond that makes it very difficult to have consistent success at a championship level. Ball security, rebounding dominance, high levels efficient offensive production, and relentless defense are the needed core for championship success.

Turnovers and offensive rebounds are the same thing so both have to be counted equally. They both give the opponent or your team another possession.

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
It is not the quantity of turnovers - it is the ratio to assists that is the important stat. A 2/1 ATO is the least you would accept. The quantity depends on the pace of your play. If you want to walk - there are fewer opportunities to turnover. If you run or play read-react you will have turnovers. Also not all turnovers are the same. While every turnover costs an opportunity to score, some are caused by bad choices or trying to play too fast. Those need to be cleaned up.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
It is not the quantity of turnovers - it is the ratio to assists that is the important stat. A 2/1 ATO is the least you would accept. The quantity depends on the pace of your play. If you want to walk - there are fewer opportunities to turnover. If you run or play read-react you will have turnovers. Also not all turnovers are the same. While every turnover costs an opportunity to score, some are caused by bad choices or trying to play too fast. Those need to be cleaned up.

equally important is the forced v unforced turn-over totals

I don't really even look at the assist to turnover ratio. It's just not of great importance. All that really matters is ppp (points per possession) and dppp (defensive points per possession). Turnovers kill ppp in a way that you can't make up for with assists in subsequent positions.

I also don't know of any teams that maintain a 2/1 ATO. That seems impossible let alone a threshold. Usually the very best teams can get as high as 1.6/1.

Reactions: NeedOrange

VN Store

Back