How many of you would like to see Tennessee lose out to prove your point?

Last year but what did he do this year? So you believe we would of lost the first two games with Maurer ?
Here is where we agree, if Maurer is named #1 the day after the O&W game, we are at least 3-0 going into FL and possibly/probably 4-0 going into GA. That is what I believe.

It was the low point of Tennessee football in my lifetime for sure. But sometimes you go lower before you start up. Where is rock bottom? Just because you hire a new coach doesn't mean you've hit rock bottom...and that also doesn't mean he can't wind up being a good coach. I know most people are sick of hearing the comparison, and I guess I am too, but it still holds truth: If you go back to 2007, you'll probably find plenty of Alabama fans who thought Saban's loss to Louisiana Monroe was their low point.
LOL, short life as a fan evidently.

The likes mean that there are plenty on here that believe that there are plenty on here who believe that ish. None of the followups name ANY POSTER that actually believes that. So my point is proven. Until you can name 2 honest to goodness believable posters who want us to lose out to prove their point, it's still a stupid thread and conspiracy theory.

I simply said I would believe the two of you if you could prove it. You didn't, you can't, so I don't.
Of course they will not come out and state they hope we lose out but their posts tell a different story. I’m still 100% with the OP.

Of course they will not come out and state they hope we lose out but their posts tell a different story. I’m still 100% with the OP.
So, for those of us who have been honest with ourselves in the off season and some others who are brutally honest, we are in the crowd that hope we lose? If you believe that you will believe anything. I honestly have seen a couple of posters say that but it was after the GASU and BYU games and you could tell they had been in the secret sauce. Sober, I can't name one person who is a lose all poster. Now, HillBilly is an avid anti-Pruitt guy but he's not the sharpest ax in the shed so to speak. Some of his reaches are more than long.

LOL, REPORTED! I tried to respond and it magically disappeared.......just like all those I hope we lose out guys.

It is as much a legit thread as any on here. I agree with OP. A fan is someone who supports the team until it's dying breath. Somethings we may not be happy with, but I always am for the team.
True but don’t make excuses and be honest I love the vols have had tickets for years but the product has been **** recruiting not that great the ones that came left under bitch jones and we still lack consistency

Last year but what did he do this year? So you believe we would of lost the first two games with Maurer ?
If you think we'd have beat GA State and/or BYU with Maurer, then you have nobody to blame for those losses than the staff who played JG and you should question all their judgments about player evaluations.

Reactions: I40flyer
So, for those of us who have been honest with ourselves in the off season and some others who are brutally honest, we are in the crowd that hope we lose? If you believe that you will believe anything. I honestly have seen a couple of posters say that but it was after the GASU and BYU games and you could tell they had been in the secret sauce. Sober, I can't name one person who is a lose all poster. Now, HillBilly is an avid anti-Pruitt guy but he's not the sharpest ax in the shed so to speak. Some of his reaches are more than long.
Hillbilly is one of them and there are a few more but I’m not going to take the time and analyze all the posts now but I still agree with the OP. With Pruitt as HC, some people on this board despise him so much that they would probably hope we lose out. I was for Pruitt being fired earlier this season but now currently see some improvement and have changed my opinion. However I may change my opinion later about Pruitt if we do not show progress the rest of this season.

If you think we'd have beat GA State and/or BYU with Maurer, then you have nobody to blame for those losses than the staff who played JG and you should question all their judgments about player evaluations.
I believe the staff made an error in judgement not putting Maurer in the first two games. Most Vol fans wanted the change. However their is improvement now and I actually saw positive development across the board in the last two weeks.

I guess for me, the bottom line is this: I'll never completely forgive Pruitt for losing to Georgia State (or BYU for that matter), but I'm not going to hold it against him as long as his team is developing. It still makes me bitter to think that if Maurer can't go Saturday we're almost certainly not going to make a bowl game this season, whereas we were almost guaranteed a bowl bid if we had taken care of business in those two very winnable games to start the season. But the OL is probably playing at a higher level right now than it ever played under Butch, and there's no excuse for how well that ragtag group of DL is playing right now. I like what I'm seeing. Maybe we can't sustain it...but maybe we can. Either way, Pruitt is going to be the coach for the rest of this year and next year at a bare minimum. I'd rather focus on the positives and hope we can build on them than wallow in the misery of what I can't control.
I'll continue to hold it against him because the worst Tennessee team of all time (which the 2019 team could be, who knows) should be able to beat them without too much difficulty, plus that loss was largely on the coaching staff and a lack of preparation. Georgia St isn't some punch-above-their-weight mid-major...they went 2-10 last year and lost by 47 to Western Michigan 2 weeks after they played us. Their program is void of any kind of talent, tradition, or resources. To call that an embarrassing loss is a vast understatement no matter our talent level, because our talent level is always going to be miles ahead of Georgia St's. In order to make up for that loss in my mind, he'd have to beat Florida, Georgia, or Alabama this year, and those chances are gone.

It'd be one thing if we were all saying "gotta crawl before you can walk" for the first time. This is now our 4th attempt at a rebuild since 2008. People are worn out by it. To use a stock market analogy, we're in a seemingly never-ending bear market and when we hit a new low, we rally but then break to a new low. I just want to see us hit a low (the most recent one was Georgia St), bounce off of it (which we have), then not break to a new low. I know the trajectory of the rebuild isn't going to be straight up, and it's going to be forever before we're a contender for any kind of hardware, but let's stop this endless cycle of making new lows. Every declaration of "rock bottom" as been wrong so far. How many "rock bottoms" have their been? Firing Fulmer, Kiffin leaving, Dooley losing to Kentucky, Dooley getting fired/blown out by Vandy, going 4-8/firing Butch, the Schiano disaster, losing to Georgia St...where is the bottom? That's where my head's at right now. Are we going to have to go 0-12 before this nightmare is over? Because it theoretically can get worse, and Tennessee can't ever seem to find the bottom. And if it does have to get worse, let's just get it out of the way right now.

I totally agree with you though that Pruitt is here through next year at a minimum unless we win 3 games or less next year.

Hillbilly is one of them and there are a few more but I’m not going to take the time and analyze all the posts now but I still agree with the OP. With Pruitt as HC, some people on this board despise him so much that they would probably hope we lose out. I was for Pruitt being fired earlier this season but now currently see some improvement and have changed my opinion. However I may change my opinion later about Pruitt if we do not show progress the rest of this season.
So you really don't have an opinion, just what you see day to day? What about maybe if probably?

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
Yes and if we have a bad thunderstorm today I am going to just commit suicide because the world is coming to an end. Your bias is as bad as OPs and Abby's being wishy washy.

So you really don't have an opinion, just what you see day to day? What about maybe if probably?
I have an opinion based on what I am currently seeing. That means I have a flexible viewpoint based on the ever changing circumstances. Right now the program has improved. If we lose the rest of the games this year I will question if Pruitt is the answer.

I'll continue to hold it against him because the worst Tennessee team of all time (which the 2019 team could be, who knows) should be able to beat them without too much difficulty, plus that loss was largely on the coaching staff and a lack of preparation. Georgia St isn't some punch-above-their-weight mid-major...they went 2-10 last year and lost by 47 to Western Michigan 2 weeks after they played us. Their program is void of any kind of talent, tradition, or resources. To call that an embarrassing loss is a vast understatement no matter our talent level, because our talent level is always going to be miles ahead of Georgia St's. In order to make up for that loss in my mind, he'd have to beat Florida, Georgia, or Alabama this year, and those chances are gone.

It'd be one thing if we were all saying "gotta crawl before you can walk" for the first time. This is now our 4th attempt at a rebuild since 2008. People are worn out by it. To use a stock market analogy, we're in a seemingly never-ending bear market and when we hit a new low, we rally but then break to a new low. I just want to see us hit a low (the most recent one was Georgia St), bounce off of it (which we have), then not break to a new low. I know the trajectory of the rebuild isn't going to be straight up, and it's going to be forever before we're a contender for any kind of hardware, but let's stop this endless cycle of making new lows. Every declaration of "rock bottom" as been wrong so far. How many "rock bottoms" have their been? Firing Fulmer, Kiffin leaving, Dooley losing to Kentucky, Dooley getting fired/blown out by Vandy, going 4-8/firing Butch, the Schiano disaster, losing to Georgia St...where is the bottom? That's where my head's at right now. Are we going to have to go 0-12 before this nightmare is over? Because it theoretically can get worse, and Tennessee can't ever seem to find the bottom. And if it does have to get worse, let's just get it out of the way right now.

I totally agree with you though that Pruitt is here through next year at a minimum unless we win 3 games or less next year.
You can't hold all the broken rebuilds against Pruitt. He inherited a team worse than what was left for Kiffin and way worse than what was left for Jones. Yes those two losses this year were embarrassing, yes, BOTH of them. But **** happens and after watching the team play the last 3 weeks, I now FULLY understand what he said at halftime during the Bama game last year. He did what he promised, it was ugly, but I think this time next year, we will be a bigger step further along.

Pruitt is here through 2020 and will be the coach in 2021 barring an absolute disaster of epic proportions like losing out this year which I know, there are TONS of us wishing that would happen, TONS I tell ya, METRIC FREAKING TONS!

I have an opinion based on what I am currently seeing. That means I have a flexible viewpoint based on the ever changing circumstances. Right now the program has improved. If we lose the rest of the games this year I will question if Pruitt is the answer.
Wishy
Washy

I change my opinion if there is a trend not every little piece of new information. The last three games is a trend.
You're in a distinct minority, especially around these parts. Most people either never change their opinion, no matter what any new info says, or change their opinion with every new drop of info, no matter how insignificant.

I laugh sometimes when I read this forum. There is a group of people on this board who were adamant that Tennessee couldn't hang with Georgia. They thumbed their nose at anyone who suggested otherwise. And then Tennessee was still in the game until early in the fourth quarter. So the same people then said that there was no way Tennessee could hang with Alabama. Again, they thumbed their nose at anyone who suggested otherwise. And then Tennessee was still in the game until midway through the fourth quarter.

Y'all laughed at everyone who said that Tennessee might actually be able to play with UGA and Bama. Then when Tennessee DID play with UGA and Bama, you're the same folks who have been on here the last two days making all kinds of excuses for why the games really weren't as close as the scores indicated. "But Tua was hurt..." "But they were playing conservative..." "But, but, but..." When someone disagrees, you drag out the really dumb claim of "moral victories." And you trip over yourself to flame the team and players that you proclaim to support. You trash Brian Maurer. You trash the coaches. You whiz on the effort of a group of young men who went out and laid it all on the line against a far superior team on the road at Alabama.

So why don't we just go ahead and admit it: some of you are so hung up on the loss to Georgia State that you're secretly hoping that we lose to South Carolina and Vanderbilt and whoever else we need to lose to in between that will help usher out Jeremy Pruitt. You don't care about bowl eligibility or recruiting; you care about getting a new coach, as if an administration that has gotten it wrong for four consecutive hires is going to somehow strike gold on hire number five. I'll admit that all fan bases have their idguts, but I'm not sure I've ever seen a fan forum that spends as much energy as this one trashing their own team.
now that you got that out of your system..............go back in your hole and eat some pringles. college football is about putting a competitive team on the field every week. Pruitt has not done that and is off to a worse start than Butch. fans should not lower expectations and in a coach's second year of his "system" with returning players, specifically quarterback, the team should progress forward. Losing to GA State on Game 1 is a regression from year 1. it make sense for a fan base to be pissed about paying a team 900k so they can come into your house and win. Until Pruitt begins to manufacturer wins, any way any how, the fan base will not change. also, this is the same fan base that vetoed the Greg Schiano hire and you should be thankful the fans care that much about team that has not been worth a **** for the last 10 years.

VN Store

Back