How many of you have dumped Amazon Prime or are planning to?

Drewbydoo

Drew
My subscription runs out a couple of days before Xmas and I plan on dumping them at the end of November because I've read people are having trouble cancelling the "service".

A small part of why I'm getting rid of it is because of Thursday night football: About half the time the picture quality is pretty low. Meanwhile, I could get the game for free in 1080p or 4k

Anyway, anyone else dumping or have you quit amazon prime?

Never! Fully worth the annual fee and I get the most out of all my subs.

Not me. I order the **** out of Amazon and my TNF broadcast is perfect.

How old is your TV? I know since Prime isn't cable they aren't restricted to the same resolution standards.

I'm watching it on a high end, workstation laptop built for gamers with excellent bandwidth and connected by fiber to a T-1. After a while it got better. I think there were too many cell phones near my laptop. Also, from my laptop I was casting it to a TV, but that's a "nothing" as far a processor load.

I order a ton from Amazon too, but I'm sick of or somewhat insulted by the annual fee to get the privilege for two day shipping that RARELY ends up being two days. Some stuff comes in within a day. Other things, like a pair of jeans I bought: after I confirmed the order and hit buy: in one second I'm informed that my order wouldn't be filled for 9-12 days. Tried to cancel the order and of course it wouldn't cancel.

The prices aren't better than anywhere else, if anything they are more and since the start of Covid, two day shipping rarely happens. Total bs. I could have made several purchases, like my jeans, directly from the manufacturer and got them quicker.

Another thing that irked me is now that inflation is truly impacting people nation wide, they are cutting back their spending so they don't even use amazon enough to make it worth it and Amazon isn't letting them quit or making it very, very difficult to quit making the process take months.

I've got money, I just want the service they advertise and Amazon isn't cutting it for the last year or so. They're great at getting pantry items to me quickly, but other things? Not so much.

Another thing they do is make their own brand of something by reverse engineering it and then making it a featured product. That's just ethically bad along with how they treat their employees. Average career span at Amazon is 3.5 years and that's done complete on purposes for economic reason that only benefit Amazon. I could explain why they do that, but you probably lost interest in my whiny post several minutes ago : )

I'm watching it on a high end, workstation laptop built for gamers with excellent bandwidth and connected by fiber to a T-1. After a while it got better. I think there were too many cell phones near my laptop. Also, from my laptop I was casting it to a TV, but that's a "nothing" as far a processor load.

I order a ton from Amazon too, but I'm sick of or somewhat insulted by the annual fee to get the privilege for two day shipping that RARELY ends up being two days. Some stuff comes in within a day. Other things, like a pair of jeans I bought: after I confirmed the order and hit buy: in one second I'm informed that my order wouldn't be filled for 9-12 days. Tried to cancel the order and of course it wouldn't cancel.

The prices aren't better than anywhere else, if anything they are more and since the start of Covid, two day shipping rarely happens. Total bs. I could have made several purchases, like my jeans, directly from the manufacturer and got them quicker.

Another thing that irked me is now that inflation is truly impacting people nation wide, they are cutting back their spending so they don't even use amazon enough to make it worth it and Amazon isn't letting them quit or making it very, very difficult to quit making the process take months.

I've got money, I just want the service they advertise and Amazon isn't cutting it for the last year or so. They're great at getting pantry items to me quickly, but other things? Not so much.

Another thing they do is make their own brand of something by reverse engineering it and then making it a featured product. That's just ethically bad along with how they treat their employees. Average career span at Amazon is 3.5 years and that's done complete on purposes for economic reason that only benefit Amazon. I could explain why they do that, but you probably lost interest in my whiny post several minutes ago : )
Don't pay when you get the renewal charge. keep records of your attempt to cancel.

Most things we get are same day or 1 day. OTOH we live just a few miles from gigantic warehouses.

Buying from them saves a 4 mile trip to Target, WMT, etc.

Reactions: Drewbydoo

Where you shopping that's cheaper than Amazon? Wal-Mart is similar. But they want you to join a subscription too, and without streaming or Amazon's other perks. Both are evil corporations. But it's hard to beat Amazon as a source for cheap plastic crap and Wal-Mart is just as bad ethically. They have more employees who make so little that they qualify for SNAP than anyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Go aeiou
Where are these places and what are you buying? Do you mean groceries?

Not groceries. Recent examples, brought a DeWalt blower and it was cheaper at Lowes than on Amazon plus I got my 10% discount. Purchased a couple pair of pants and Belks was cheaper (online) but I still bought them from Amazon because I didn't want to go to the store.

Reactions: UT_Dutchman
Not groceries. Recent examples, brought a DeWalt blower and it was cheaper at Lowes than on Amazon plus I got my 10% discount. Purchased a couple pair of pants and Belks was cheaper (online) but I still bought them from Amazon because I didn't want to go to the store.
So you don't mean there is somewhere that's just generally cheaper than Amazon. You mean you can sometimes find things cheaper if you drive around and shop at brick and morter, in general?

My subscription runs out a couple of days before Xmas and I plan on dumping them at the end of November because I've read people are having trouble cancelling the "service".

A small part of why I'm getting rid of it is because of Thursday night football: About half the time the picture quality is pretty low. Meanwhile, I could get the game for free in 1080p or 4k

I am sure a lot of us are Amazon stockholders. One of us will call Jeff and get this straightened out.

So you don't mean there is somewhere that's just generally cheaper than Amazon. You mean you can sometimes find things cheaper if you drive around and shop at brick and morter, in general?

Correct although I look online, don't drive around.

Correct although I look online, don't drive around.
Ok, I can buy that. I thought I was missing out for a second. I order stuff from other retailers all the time. I just generally let them deliver it or bring it out to my car. People are crazy there days. I end up on Amazon a lot because they are cheaper though.

Ok, I can buy that. I thought I was missing out for a second. I order stuff from other retailers all the time. I just generally let them deliver it or bring it out to my car. People are crazy there days. I end up on Amazon a lot because they are cheaper though.
Mostly reliable, and they carry a lot of stuff. I just looked for my favorite cookie,"Al's lemon plank". Somewhat obscure.
Amazon was the cheapest. Delivery Sunday.

Reactions: JCHateSteve
My wife still subscribes and she makes 99% of our purchases. She pinches pennies pretty well so it must still be worth it.

TNF has not been smooth for me; so far it has taken 2-3 times to get the live feed for each game. Sometimes the image quality degrades during the broadcast but usually it improves within a minute. I think their pregame programming is terrible but I just mute that now.

I dropped prime a few months ago and the main thing I am pleased with is I'm not buying crap I don't really need. As far as the TV side I really haven't missed anything there either.
It wasn't hard to end, but they do beg you to stay and offer free trials constantly now.

Reactions: Drewbydoo
We still have Prime but now order 2/3 of our stuff from Walmart and have the Plus membership. Totally worth it for us since it’s free delivery from about 9 miles away.

Downside is I can feel my credit cards melting when the missus is surfing the store lol.

Reactions: GroverCleveland
We still have Prime but now order 2/3 of our stuff from Walmart and have the Plus membership. Totally worth it for us since it’s free delivery from about 9 miles away.

Downside is I can feel my credit cards melting when the missus is surfing the store lol.
Another reason I love Prime, get 5% back when you use their Visa. As much as my wife and I use it, it adds up quick.

Reactions: VolNExile

VN Store

Back