How many "give me" games do you schedule?

volfan2024

“Wanna play ball scarecrow “
Our football schedule is direct contrast to Pat Summitt's scheduling philosophy.

Looking at our games scheduled since 2001,the year Memphis was the weakest team on our schedule, we have added an extra "give me" game.02-MTSU and Wyoming.03-Fresno State and Marshall.04-La Tech and UNLV.05-UAB,Memphis.06-Air Force and Marshall

Future-07-Northern Ill. and Central Florida
08- San Jose St. and Wyoming.

This should make for a 10 win season alot more obtainable.Thoughts?

Our football schedule is direct contrast to Pat Summitt's scheduling philosophy.

Looking at our games scheduled since 2001,the year Memphis was the weakest team on our schedule, we have added an extra "give me" game.02-MTSU and Wyoming.03-Fresno State and Marshall.04-La Tech and UNLV.05-UAB,Memphis.06-Air Force and Marshall

Future-07-Northern Ill. and Central Florida
08- San Jose St. and Wyoming.

This should make for a 10 win season alot more obtainable.Thoughts?

I believe when we scheduled it, the Cal game was supposed to be our tuneup game for Air Force.

And Pat Summit can afford to schedule more tough games. You know the Lady Vols will make the tourney.

Its not really fair comparing a football schedule to a basketball schedule.

Football, 11-12 games, 8 in-conference.

Basketball 30 plus, 16 in-conference I believe.

In football you cant afford to schedule 11 games against top notch opponents. I cant think of a program that does that or would.

With Saban at Alabama I wouldn't schedule nothing but cupcakes outside the conference. Thats how to succeed in the BCS.

I like the way we have handled scheduling. Play one tough OOC game every year, and fill up the rest of the schedule with teams you should beat but don't embarass you when mentioned in the SOS ratings, which usually means teams from Conference USA, the MAC, WAC, or MWC.

In '07 that means Cal plus No. Ill, So Miss, and UL-L.

In '08, it is UCLA and NC St (two real games,) plus Wyoming and SJSU.

'09 has UCLA plus Marshall and Memphis.

'10 has Oregon, Marshall, and Memphis.

We have also already scheduled series against UNC (2011 & 2012,) Oklahoma (2014 & 2015,) and Nebraska (2016 & 2017,) along with return dates with NC St (2012) and Oregon (2013.) There is also talk of dropping some of the upcoming dates against Marshall in favor of another opponent.

I want Notre Dame on the schedule. That way when the Vols come back up, I only have to drive for 30 minutes instead of 9 hours to Knoxville.

I like the way we have handled scheduling. Play one tough OOC game every year, and fill up the rest of the schedule with teams you should beat but don't embarass you when mentioned in the SOS ratings, which usually means teams from Conference USA, the MAC, WAC, or MWC.

In '07 that means Cal plus No. Ill, So Miss, and UL-L.

In '08, it is UCLA and NC St (two real games,) plus Wyoming and SJSU.

'09 has UCLA plus Marshall and Memphis.

'10 has Oregon, Marshall, and Memphis.

We have also already scheduled series against UNC (2011 & 2012,) Oklahoma (2014 & 2015,) and Nebraska (2016 & 2017,) along with return dates with NC St (2012) and Oregon (2013.) There is also talk of dropping some of the upcoming dates against Marshall in favor of another opponent.

I agree. I think that's the way to do it.

Worked for Florida this year.

Auburn could have scheduled any team, but they weren't going to pass Oklahoma.. Oklahoma had done nothing to prove they weren't number 2.

Worked for Florida this year.

Auburn could have scheduled any team, but they weren't going to pass Oklahoma.. Oklahoma had done nothing to prove they weren't number 2.

FSU is not considered a cupcake in most years. So I don't think they took the route of scheduling all cupcakes.

FSU is not considered a cupcake in most years. So I don't think they took the route of scheduling all cupcakes.

Southern Mississippi was not a bad opponent either, and UCF went bowling in 2005. Those two teams aren't exactly bigtime, but the follow the model of scheduling teams that will not hurt your overall SOS.

Don't pretend it was Florida State who boosted Florida into the title game.

Where did I say they did? Scheduling all cupcakes is not a recipe for success for competing for the BCS title is what I was referencing.

In most years, the Big Ten will not bring down Michigan's SOS like it did this year. That league was extremely top-heavy. So, yeah, this year the SEC was enough to push Florida into the title game. But, this year, we were also comparing a conference champ to a runner-up. In 2004, it was a matter of choosing two out of three champions.

Florida got in because the pollsters didn't want a rematch. That was all.

BCS proponents (not me, I want a playoff) say it is a season-long playoff. That being the current system, Michigan did not win their bracket, and Florida did.

Yay! This thread has digressed into a discussion of who should be playing OSU tomorrow!

BCS proponents (not me, I want a playoff) say it is a season-long playoff. That being the current system, Michigan did not win their bracket, and Florida did.

The season really did work out a lot like a playoff. Michigan got beat by OSU in the semifinal. Florida beat LSU and Arkansas. Now UF-OSU will battle it out for first place. USC already beat Michigan out for third.

Everything worked out pretty well with the BCS this year, in my opinion.

If Florida had played Florida Atlantic instead of FSU in the regular season finale, we'd be watching OSU-Michigan II tomorrow night.

If Florida had played Florida Atlantic instead of FSU in the regular season finale, we'd be watching OSU-Michigan II tomorrow night.

What makes you say that? They didn't even make it to a bowl, did they? I'd say FSU ended up being a lot better at the end of the season. The demolition of UCLA was somewhat impressive.

The season really did work out a lot like a playoff. Michigan got beat by OSU in the semifinal. Florida beat LSU and Arkansas. Now UF-OSU will battle it out for first place. USC already beat Michigan out for third.

Everything worked out pretty well with the BCS this year, in my opinion.

The BCS is a big improvement over the previous system, which would have given us a USC-OSU Rose Bowl, a UF-UM Sugar Bowl, and a lot of debate. I still prefer a playoff though:)

VN Store

Back