How many can we sign this year

Just wondering how many openings do we have in 2022
25 is the limit. But you can resolve up to 7 players that transfer. So max 32. Adding 7 more helps manage the roster with the portal like it is. But with NIL anyone can walk on with the right deal. Scholarships are almost pointless with the amount of deals some of these kids will sign.

25 is the limit. But you can resolve up to 7 players that transfer. So max 32. Adding 7 more helps manage the roster with the portal like it is. But with NIL anyone can walk on with the right deal. Scholarships are almost pointless with the amount of deals some of these kids will sign.

Its different this time around:

"For the 2022-23 and 2023-24 academic years, the NCAA lifted the scholarship limits on classes and simply is allowing schools to sign as many players as it needs to reach the annual 85-scholarship limit."

'I think it's huge': NCAA's scholarship limit change relieves roster crunch for Illini football.

Its different this time around:

"For the 2022-23 and 2023-24 academic years, the NCAA lifted the scholarship limits on classes and simply is allowing schools to sign as many players as it needs to reach the annual 85-scholarship limit."

'I think it's huge': NCAA's scholarship limit change relieves roster crunch for Illini football.
I have looked at the number of seniors returning and how many we have coming in, I don't see how we can take the number we have committed right now. The staff probably has this figured out.

Reactions: bobbyutvol
I have looked at the number of seniors returning and how many we have coming in, I don't see how we can take the number we have committed right now. The staff probably has this figured out.
Whitehead will likely be gone as will Jimmy Callaway and potentially Holiday as well. It also wouldn’t shock me to see Small medically retire. It seems like he has to come out at least once a game for his shoulder

Whitehead will likely be gone as will Jimmy Callaway and potentially Holiday as well. It also wouldn’t shock me to see Small medically retire. It seems like he has to come out at least once a game for his shoulder
Why will Whitehead be gone? He earned some confidence last year and was progressing well before getting injured this year.

Callaway can't seem to get out of the dog house. He's as talented as anyone if he would get his head on straight.

Why would Holiday leave? He has a role and it stands to expand. They like him with the ball in his hands or else he wouldn't be returning kicks.

Has anyone besides you speculated about a medical retirement for Small? Why even guess about something like that publicly unless there's some reason?

Reactions: GUNTERSVOL
29 is the best number I can come up with.

93 on roster, 13 of those PWO. 24 seniors that will either be done this year or on COVID year next year* which doesn't count against the 85.

Only the coaches know in the end, but generally numbers always work out to more than this board guesses each year.

Edit: *I went to google this to make sure I was remembering this correctly and can't find a single source for it... but not sure how we get to 20 even without it. So referrer again to line 3 :p

Last edited:
Reactions: bobbyutvol

The 25 limit has been lifted

93 on roster, 13 of those PWO. 24 seniors that will either be done this year or on COVID year next year* which doesn't count against the 85.

Only the coaches know in the end, but generally numbers always work out to more than this board guesses each year.

Edit: *I went to google this to make sure I was remembering this correctly and can't find a single source for it... but not sure how we get to 20 even without it. So referrer again to line 3 :p
The fovid year does cout against the 85. That was only a one time exception on the 85 number

Reactions: NighthawkVol

I had about 20 when I figured it up, but I didn't have some of the players you mentioned.

Why will Whitehead be gone? He earned some confidence last year and was progressing well before getting injured this year.

Callaway can't seem to get out of the dog house. He's as talented as anyone if he would get his head on straight.

Why would Holiday leave? He has a role and it stands to expand. They like him with the ball in his hands or else he wouldn't be returning kicks.

Has anyone besides you speculated about a medical retirement for Small? Why even guess about something like that publicly unless there's some reason?
Whitehead a slow back that can’t stay healthy and will likely be buried on the depth chart next season

I don’t see why a third year will make much difference with Callaway

I don’t expect an athlete of Holiday’s caliber to stick around for his senior year to call fair catches on kickoffs and be a backup WR in an offense where backups only get meaningful snaps if someone goes down

Small has already had one shoulder surgery and I think it’s safe to say will need another one after this season, and if history is any indication of the future he will likely need a third one if he plays again next year. I would be willing to bet any doctor worth a damn would advise him against playing again. Maybe not though

Whitehead a slow back that can’t stay healthy and will likely be buried on the depth chart next season

I don’t expect an athlete of Holiday’s caliber to stick around for his senior year to call fair catches on kickoffs and be a backup WR in an offense where backups only get meaningful snaps if someone goes down

Small has already had one shoulder surgery and I think it’s safe to say will need another one after this season, and if history is any indication of the future he will likely need a third one if he plays again next year. I would be willing to bet any doctor worth a damn would advise him against playing again. Maybe not though
Whitehead averaged over 6 ypc last year. That's not bad for a "slow" guy. Reports were that he was earning time before being injured. I don't recall. When was he injured before?

Callaway has the talent to step to the front any time he puts in the effort. It all comes down to him stepping up like Hyatt did.

Holiday may not be limited to that role. He's a good player

Why is it "safe to say" Small will have another shoulder surgery? Do you know something that hasn't been made public? And moreover do you have some inside track on his medical tradition or special medical training that would qualify you to make that last statement?

I don't claim to know how it will turn out for these guys. You seem to be talking out of your rear in claiming you do.

We have to be at 85, that includes any covid guys. They raised the 85 limit for 1 year so those guys could stay, but they brought the limit back to 85. We will lose some to the transfer portal, and we will get some from the portal. We will lose more players than we think to the portal this year, I think every team will. It’s gonna be wild this off-season

Just wondering how many openings do we have in 2022
As many as we want but have to keep max schollies for the team at 85,ie,if they decided to reduce the existing squad to zero (0),then they could sign 85.That will not happen .There will be some departures from this squad thru the Portal,for the NFL,and seniors so depending on that aggregate number will probably result in that many signees.I predict between 28-32.

Plus you gotta figure a junior or 2 may leave plus some will be politely asked to transfer elsewhere . We gotta have room for a few Transfers too.

Whitehead averaged over 6 ypc last year. That's not bad for a "slow" guy. Reports were that he was earning time before being injured. I don't recall. When was he injured before?

Callaway has the talent to step to the front any time he puts in the effort. It all comes down to him stepping up like Hyatt did.

Why is it "safe to say" Small will have another shoulder surgery? Do you know something that hasn't been made public? And moreover do you have some inside track on his medical tradition or special medical training that would qualify you to make that last statement?

I don't claim to know how it will turn out for these guys. You seem to be talking out of your rear in claiming you do.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if that happens to Small. I believe he's had 2 or 3 procedures just on his shoulders since Briarcrest.
He got injured against Akron, Pitt, Bama, UGA, that I can recall off the top of my head.

Holiday will have a chance to start or be the 4th WR like Keyton has been this year. And he has a good chemistry with Milton. I wouldn’t write him off as leaving just yet. If Bru leaves (I think he likely returns, but it’s possible), Holiday, Keyton, and Squirrel are the projected starters.

Plus you gotta figure a junior or 2 may leave plus some will be politely asked to transfer elsewhere . We gotta have room for a few Transfers too.

Hyatt will leave. Omari could too, although I can’t find anything projecting him as a high draft pick. Has anyone seen a draft projection for him?

This post has aged very poorly as everything I said would happen has happened. Small hasn’t retired, but he did in fact need another shoulder surgery

Attachments

• 35D24178-5924-439A-A72E-AABE40593B06.png
    35D24178-5924-439A-A72E-AABE40593B06.png
    3 MB · Views: 20

VN Store

Back