How long until Pruitt builds an elite-D?

MemphisVol77

Sunshine Dealer. Pure #FF8200, hit me up.
How Much Talent Will Pruitt Need for a Top-10 Defense?

This has been one of the better off-season reads I've seen putting our rebuild on the Defensive side of the ball into perspective.
It looks at Pruitt's DC career taking each school's preceding classes recruiting rankings and breaks down their starting lineups player rankings.

Why no Alabama? Because to put it simply, Tennessee cannot replicate that level of recruiting. They can replicate what FSU did in the four years leading up to their national championship (recruiting classes ranked 8, 2, 4, 11) as well as what Georgia did in the five classes of players he coached (11, 7, 9, 12, 8). Also, let’s be honest: a lot of coaches could look elite with Alabama’s talent.

We attempted to look at the talent needed for Pruitt to achieve a top-10 defense, and whether or not that is attainable for Tennessee. Our focus is on 2013 FSU, 2014 Georgia, and 2015 Georgia

2013 FSU #2Defense
7-5*
3-4*
1-3*
Everyone of the DL was a 5*
Florida State’s ability to assemble this starting lineup on just two classes inside the top-5 is impressive. That defensive line is incredible, and it’s obvious why Pruitt wanted to completely flip Tennessee’s defensive line as soon as possible.

2014 GEORGIA #10Defense
2-5*
5-4*
3-3*
1-Unrated

2015 GEORGIA #2Defense
2-5*
4-4*
3-3*
1-2*
1-Unrated

Three players in the starting lineup are from a recruiting class Pruitt had a hand in. From the 2014 class

So our 2019 Defense should have
1-5* (Solomon if eligible)
7/8 - 4*
2/3 - 3*

They had Gooden listed.....

There is a ton more info on the article besides what I listed. A few other keynotes from the article

Optimism
Pruitt doesn't need all top tier 5* and high 4*'s to build an elite defense like he had at Alabama. He has shown he can field elite defenses with mid tier 4*'s and lower 3*'s that he hand picks.

Pump the Brakes
His 2nd year 2015 at Georgia only 3 players in his starting line-up were players he recruited in 2014.
At UT he will be having to start 5-7 players he recruited in just his 2nd year(I think the article projected 7) which is a telling testament to Butch's lack of development.

My take -
Given the status of our DL don't get mad at 6 wins, be happy if we win 7, and jump for joy if we win 8. Our defense will probably still be improved over last year but we're not gonna be elite starting JUCO's on the DL.

If our offense actually shows marked improvement we could actually be a 7-8 win 2019 team with momentum and a realistic shot at the East next year.

My Dream - Pruitt has a meteoric year 2 HC improvement, defense is barely out of top 15, and we win 9......

Pruitt and Ansley are the leadership you would dream of to create a wicked, soul stealing secondary and a solid D wall that would make Trump ask for tips on border security - both in terms of recruiting and in training them up. That said, it is going to take time for Pruitt and Co to get deep enough with guys they have brought on and trained. Considering how short we are on the DL, that may take another two years at least before we are known for the kind of defenses that JP has showcased in 5 NC wins. Mind you, we will continue to improve tho and Im just hoping they are serviceable this year.

If CJP doesn't win at least 7-8 this season, the elite prospects that we're waiting on will go elsewhere and we'll probably lose some we have now. There will not be enough talent to make a jump in Year 3 and we'll be looking for a new head coach in 15 months.

Reactions: 'Boro-vol
If CJP doesn't win at least 7-8 this season, the elite prospects that we're waiting on will go elsewhere and we'll probably lose some we have now. There will not be enough talent to make a jump in Year 3 and we'll be looking for a new head coach in 15 months.
Glass half empty with dirty water, right?

Next year. There’s experience, talent, and depth at every position.

DL
Solomon SR
Gooden SR
Middleton SR
Williams SR
Butler SR
Mincey JR
Emerson SO
Simmons SO
Bailey FR
Hardy?

LB
Inside:
To’oto’o SO
Ignont SR
Peterson SO
Reid SR
Smalls/Sewell?
Edge:
Crouch SO
Johnson SR
Harrison SO
Bennett JR
Allen SR
Baron?

Corner
Thompson JR
Taylor JR
Burrell SO
Green JR
Fields SO
Shamburger SR
George SR

Safety
Flowers JR
McCollough SO
Lawrence FR
Jackson SR
Beasley SO

unless the team bottoms out this year or has a off year in 2020 Pruitt is here through 2021 at minimum. Fulmer won’t look at an extension unless TN makes the SECCG....my guess if to avoid another coach search in the near future Pruitt needs at minimum 9 wins in 2020 and likely the same or better in 2021....

Reactions: MemphisVol77

Meh - The talents already there for a year 3 jump. It might delay us from becoming a favorite to win the East or a playoff contender in year 4/5 if we have an abysmal season this year but we're hoping to overachieve this year and are banking on an 8/9 win team that contends for the East in 2020.

Reactions: TrueVolsGBOInsider

REALLY? That's pretty sinister; IMO.

I think we are getting there. We already have an elite secondary imo.
Honest question, do you really think they can make the jump to elite? I am big on Taylor and Thompson and hope you’re right! I think they will be much improved from last season but imo we’re a year away from possibly being called elite in the back end. With that said, everyone is freaking out about the D-line but I really think these two corners could mask some of the deficiencies and make the D-line play stronger.
GBO!!

Reactions: CaliVol2009
While I'm not big on "stars", the recruiting services seem right more often than not about 5 star recruits being difference makers......I know, I know, there are exceptions.....however, I also believe , generally, there doesn't seem to be a tremendous difference between those that are 3 stars vs. those that are 4 star defensive players coming out of hs....My point is this:

1) We dont need to believe we need to get alot of 5 star recruits every year to get to where we need to be.....Dabo built it from a relative grassroots level.

2) Pruitt and his staff can and IMO will build this thing back by coaching the crap out of 3/4 star kids.

3) Recruit kids that are fast, physical, and great teammates on defense (which it seems like that's what he wants).......Who cares how many stars they have.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
To be elite you need an elite DL and that’s where we are struggling the most in recruiting.

Yeah I’m waiting on that recruiting class that blows me away in terms of d line guys cause we haven’t seen it yet. I think we can get em, but we need to do it this year or next in terms of high level d lineman.

How Much Talent Will Pruitt Need for a Top-10 Defense?

This has been one of the better off-season reads I've seen putting our rebuild on the Defensive side of the ball into perspective.
It looks at Pruitt's DC career taking each school's preceding classes recruiting rankings and breaks down their starting lineups player rankings.

2013 FSU #2Defense
7-5*
3-4*
1-3*
Everyone of the DL was a 5*

2014 GEORGIA #10Defense
2-5*
5-4*
3-3*
1-Unrated

2015 GEORGIA #2Defense
2-5*
4-4*
3-3*
1-2*
1-Unrated

So our 2019 Defense should have
1-5* (Solomon if eligible)
7/8 - 4*
2/3 - 3*

They had Gooden listed.....

There is a ton more info on the article besides what I listed. A few other keynotes from the article

Optimism
Pruitt doesn't need all top tier 5* and high 4*'s to build an elite defense like he had at Alabama. He has shown he can field elite defenses with mid tier 4*'s and lower 3*'s that he hand picks.

Pump the Brakes
His 2nd year 2015 at Georgia only 3 players in his starting line-up were players he recruited in 2014.
At UT he will be having to start 5-7 players he recruited in just his 2nd year(I think the article projected 7) which is a telling testament to Butch's lack of development.

My take -
Given the status of our DL don't get mad at 6 wins, be happy if we win 7, and jump for joy if we win 8. Our defense will probably still be improved over last year but we're not gonna be elite starting JUCO's on the DL.

If our offense actually shows marked improvement we could actually be a 7-8 win 2019 team with momentum and a realistic shot at the East next year.

My Dream - Pruitt has a meteoric year 2 HC improvement, defense is barely out of top 15, and we win 9......
Pruitt has never built an elite D. He’s come into elite talent and made it better. At UT he has to actually build a defense

Yeah I’m waiting on that recruiting class that blows me away in terms of d line guys cause we haven’t seen it yet. I think we can get em, but we need to do it this year or next in terms of high level d lineman.

This 2020 class have many good DLmen

He better get in line behind Dabo. Bama will throw insane money at Dabo if Saban retires.
And let's don't leave Jimbo off that lineup. It'll be Dabo's to take when that time comes, though.

I am betting by next year we are top 15 and year 4 top 10 on D. We really need though to recruit DL better.

I am betting this year with the DBs and LBs the passing D will be solid and we are in the top 30 in total D

Reactions: MemphisVol77

VN Store

Back