How important is the Pitt game?

A strong 9! Maybe 10! Only reason its not a 10 because Heupel may have the ability to keep our confidence going and we are still able to improve and win toss up games.

Most pivotal game we have played in since USCjr in 2019.

It will have the exact same positive effect as that game in terms of momentum in all aspects of the program.

Only this time we get to start a season with all that in a coaches first year!

We lose this and there's zero excitement, overwhelming doubt, and pressure swarming the program.

In my mind it would almost guarantee 5-7. Which means longer rebuild. More angst. The longer it takes us to get to where we want to the harder it will get to do so.

BEAT PITT

On a scale from 1 to 10, how important to you is it that the Vols get this win?
1: (Not important at all, we could lose and it doesn't mean much, you know, growing pains and such...)
10: (This game is critical to show the fans, recruits, and the world that we're on track with Heupel. If we lose I'm burning all my Vol gear.)
Relative to what?
The week? 10
The SEC? 1
The season? 7
Heupel’s career at UT? 3

I think it's a solid 8. However, being without Evans on offense., and being without Young again on defense is going to hurt our chances.

10 to me. This is a nice way for CJH to continue forward. Pitt is a good team (not the best but good) and would definately put a better light on the program. Big win in my opinion.

10 same as every game
ALL GAMES ARE IMPORTANT!!!
Agreed every game is important. I guess I mean more in terms of how it'll make you feel as a fan and what, if any, impact it could have on the overall perception of the program. As others have stated, I think Pitt is a good litmus test for how we'll do the rest of the year against middle of the road SEC competition. That's why I feel this game is extremely important - it'll help us set our expectations going forward.

This poll could also be called "what are fans expectations for the program based on the outcome of this game."

It's a very important game. 8 or 9. We had a very sketchy offensive play at QB, with 2 turnovers, yet soundly beat our opponent. The opponent was on the bottom of teams last season so hard to gauge if we were that good or BGSU remains that bad. If we go down to Pitt and it's close, probably the team can still come out of it okay. If Pitt wins by 2 scores or more the wheels come off early on the season and the losses will pile up. If we win and it's close or not UT has a bowl type season. Much depends on this game IMO.

Last edited:
For this season specifically…a 9. It’s one of the few that will determine bowl eligibility.

As a whole, for Heupels program, I’d say a 5. After seeing the QB play last week, this season is going to be a struggle. If Milton is clearly better than the other 2, then this offense isn’t going to look like it’s supposed to this year so I’ll give CJH another year to get the guy that can run his offense. Then again, maybe Milton can make the improvements to see this offense improve. I guess that’s what this game will determine for me…can Milton run this offense, or not. If not, next man up!
The QB he recruited for 22 is a pocket passer like Bailey, figure that one out

On a scale from 1 to 10, how important to you is it that the Vols get this win?
1: (Not important at all, we could lose and it doesn't mean much, you know, growing pains and such...)
10: (This game is critical to show the fans, recruits, and the world that we're on track with Heupel. If we lose I'm burning all my Vol gear.)

7...however its importance will grow or lessen based on future results. Drop this one but still win 6 or 7 and it wont be that big of a deal. But only win 4 more....not a good sign.

The second game should show improvement but not necessarily how well they could be coached up.

Get bowl qualified and most rhings will be forgiven..losing to Vandy aint one of those things though

7. In the grand scheme of things, not really important, but if CJH wants to show us that he is making progress, this is a good time to do this. I see this as a true toss-up and have no idea how this game will go.

I think for Joe Milton, this game is much more important. If he has a bad game again, then the narrative will be there and I can't see how CJH trots him out for Florida or other games without giving Hooker or Bailey a shot. A bad game and CJH needs to play on of the other two for the next game to warm-up for Florida.

9. It’s a huge and winnable game for our program. We likely are 5-1 heading into Ole Miss if we win this

I don't know what is going to happen but we had better not overlook Pitt. They have a pretty good team.

WE NEED THIS WIN. It's the most important win of the year for our Vols because it's our next game.

I expect to get the W. Get it done Vols!

The QB he recruited for 22 is a pocket passer like Bailey, figure that one out
Drew Lock was a pocket passer and he made him into an All SEC quarterback that set Mizzou records and is in a tight race for a starting spot in the NFL. Prior to Heupel being there, Lock was gawd awful. This offense is about getting the ball out and to the playmakers as quickly and efficiently as possible. Not running. Who knows. I just hope this staff isn’t stubborn and hitches their ride to a QB that can’t get it done (not necessarily saying we give up on Milton yet)

Early in the season of Y1 - a growth and developmental season.

50/50 game (36/64 rn according to Vegas) - doesn't say much either way and we have about 4 or 5 of these this season - not sure why some think this is more important than those.

Out of conference - doesn't affect division ranking.

Ultimately, just look how we started last year or in 2019 and tell me the first 2 games matter that much. It's a long season and we need to grow and develop this season. It's also Y1...so I don't see how anyone thinks any game is of great importance. Those will come in the next 2 seasons when we hit inflection points.

For this season specifically…a 9. It’s one of the few that will determine bowl eligibility.

Exactly why it isn't all that important. We basically have up to 5 games that are ~coinflips. Meaning each particular one is of less importance.

Reactions: TMvol10
It’s very important. This is not a championship level team. We’re not winning the East much less the SEC and don’t even talk playoffs.

But, in order to make a winning culture (the first step to winning some type of championship), you have to win these type games.

A win builds confidence amount coaches and players as well as fans. That creates support.

Recruits will see this staff can get better weekly and may chose to come here.

A win this week means we might make a bowl.

So many positives with the win.

A loss won’t kill the team or the program but it will slow the growth.

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
This team is in no position have a question like that posed. Winning programs don't have that mentality imo. You play to your standard of excellence, and if that's not good enough, then get better. Be consistently great.

Early in the season of Y1 - a growth and developmental season.

50/50 game (36/64 rn according to Vegas) - doesn't say much either way and we have about 4 or 5 of these this season - not sure why some think this is more important than those.

Out of conference - doesn't affect division ranking.

Ultimately, just look how we started last year or in 2019 and tell me the first 2 games matter that much. It's a long season and we need to grow and develop this season. It's also Y1...so I don't see how anyone thinks any game is of great importance. Those will come in the next 2 seasons when we hit inflection points.
This! I’d give it a 4 or 5. It’s not a big deal whether we win or lose. With that said, I do expect it to be a good game! Either side could win, so I do hope that UT is competitive, at least. Now if they go and get blown out by 30 points, that could be worrisome. But if it’s a good game-win or lose-that’ll be a win IMO.

VN Store

Back