How Fulmer aims to solve falling football attendance

kamoshika

The Vols’ announced attendance for seven home games in 2017 totaled 670,454. That represented a 5.1 percent drop compared to announced attendance for 2016. Announced attendance decreased to 650,887 for this season’s seven home games, an additional 2.9 percent drop compared to 2017.

Announced attendance reflects tickets distributed – not the number of fans who actually attend the game. As for actual attendance, Tennessee totaled 545,343 fans in 2018, which equates to an average actual crowd of 77,906. That’s more than the capacity of several SEC stadiums, but it means that, on average, 25,000 seats were empty at Neyland for a home Saturday.

...Fulmer noted that the NFL is moving toward smaller, fan-friendly stadiums to address changes in attendance patterns. Because UT doesn’t plan to decrease Neyland Stadium's capacity, Fulmer is focused on the fan-friendly portion of the NFL’s approach. He also noticed the fan experience while attending a game at Yankee Stadium last summer.
UT Vols: How Phillip Fulmer plans to remedy sagging Tennessee football attendance

The problem is.... It's gotten more complicated.
You could be right. If we don't start winning more games and attendance continues to dip, the administration will richly deserve it.

I'm cautiously optimistic that Pruitt may have what it takes to turn things around. I really believe that if we were suddenly playing in the SECCG again every year, that stadium would be packed out every week.

Reactions: JacketVol
I went to watch Mercer play Bama in 2017. There were areas of empties but still far more full than some of the Vols conference games the past couple of years. Win and they will come still works.

Reactions: 87&91ALUM
651k divided by 7 games is 93k average attendance. 9k seats times $35 per seat equals 315k. 7 games times 315k equals 2.2m they left on the the table this year.

Reactions: 87&91ALUM
The problem is.... It's gotten more complicated.
It didn’t need to. I’ve been to a few games at Jerry World. Too much stuff going on. Sometime in the 4 or 5 hours I was on the property I think a football game occurred. It’s kinda hard to tell nowadays.

I remember when I was about 12 and dad got access to season ticket seats in the middle of the horse shoe (had a friend who didn’t use them much anymore but didn’t want to give them up). Go to the game, have a coke and a hotdog, get a program or a pennant (still have one on the mancave wall he got for me when I was about 13 or 14), watch the Vols.

It was simple and beautiful.

It’s pretty simple. Have to win more games and/or lower ticket prices. People don’t want to spend their Saturday watching us get beat by Vandy and South Carolina while paying top dollar. Lowering ticket pricing will help fans to come more frequently. If you get fans to come to one more game a year by making it more affordable, it drastically changes the attendance number. Once the Vols start winning, people will pay higher ticket prices like with men’s basketball.

Wifi throughout the stadium. Schools are already going to it, it's the future.

Interactive Neyland Stadium App(which offers the following):
-Access to an interactive player roster - You see a player do something great or something awful you type in their player number and it brings up their info.
-Maps for all parking locations and prices for all parking locations, it could also tell you if parking is full or not.
-Locations of elevators and ADA compliant restrooms.
-Vending locations - Click on the location and it tells you what they sell and how much each item is. It could also tell you if they are sold out of an item or if they're closed.
-Concourse camera views - Find out how long the line is at your favorite vending spot and/or bathroom before you even get out of your seat.
-In-Seat delivery service
-Contact security or medical - It allows you to either report if you need help or report if you see someone else needs help.
-Cheerleader Camera View?

Season long souvenir cups - Cuts down on plastic and trash.

Last edited:
Seat prices compete with TV viewing now. For many years the TV choices were limited to 2 or 3 games per season, Now, they are all on TV and "conference networks" are expanding further. Fan experience is important in convincing the fan to leave the comfort of his/her recliner to sit on a bench with your knees in the back of the fan in front of you in lousy weather,

The price of the ticket has little to do with the price of the trip. 2 night stay, food for 3 days, ⛽️ for 800 miles round trip, the occasional speeding ticket(Why is it so hard to go the speed limit?), souvenirs for the kids. I would like to get a winning program for all the SEC teams home and away. I’m about 1/4 of the way there. With the schedule the way it is, who knows when we go back to Auburn or when they come back to Neyland?

VN Store

Back