How embedded is Fulmer now at UT?

It was Boyd and some big money guys.
Doesn’t get to Boyd if Fulmer doesn’t initiate it. Part of the job...and he did it well. When people complained about Barnes getting the money, Fulmer was the target of their ire. Good reason for that.

Reactions: carpbc
Doesn’t get to Boyd if Fulmer doesn’t initiate it. Part of the job...and he did it well. When people complained about Barnes getting the money, Fulmer was the target of their ire. Good reason for that.
The way i understood it, they came to Fulmer and told him to pay the man.

Reactions: HalfullVol
Pruitt's buyout is way to high to fire him for a new hire replacement.

to save money, Fulmer will either name himself as interim for one year or expect Chaney to become head coach and Tee becomes OC; all to save money
Dont think so because Phil loves the glory and money way to much do go home ! Kids need a new pair of free shoes!! lol

How much pressure will it take to step down? And follow up question...how do you keep cancers like the Haslams pushing their influence back into the vacated spot?
Serious question...
What proof do you have that the Haslam family ever lost any of it's influence at the University of Tennessee? I have seen no credible evidence posted on here that gives any indication of that being true.

Reactions: HalfullVol
I’ll always have a heart for him because of his playing here and his coaching (for a few years) But our slide started under him and we’ve never recovered. He’s old and should retire. If he doesn’t, ax.

Reactions: Alto1
The fact that Fulmer hired Pruitt is only hurting his standing with admins, boosters and fans. Do the boosters and admin. want Pruitt canned at year's end? That's the only question worth asking.

His ties get weaker every time JG starts or Pruitt fails to make a halftime adjustment...

Pruitt will NEVER do a halftime adjustment...!! Why, because he will never admit his game-plan was not perfect from the start.!

Pruitt is probably the second worse UT coach in past 50 years! Dooley still IMO was the worse!

It's the same with the JG starting! He will NEVER admit he was wrong!

I have come to realize these defensive minded type coaches most of the time DON'T make good head coaches!

Reactions: hexnut
Fulmer has more leash than some can imagine. He has a lot of backing still by the big money. You have a lot of money that were tired of the Haslam ran AD which Fulmer was the alternative to. I don’t see us going back to that anytime soon. Fulmer really just needs to be the figure head of athletics and not make any real decisions. He can get the money people on the same page but his thinking of successful football just won’t work now.

Pretty sure that was Currie. Fulmer only interviewed Pruitt, Mel Tucker, and Kevin Steele.

I doubt Doeren would have done any worse than Pruitt has done so far, although he did manage to go only 9-4 with a team that had 4 future NFL defensive linemen on it, and 7 NFL draft picks overall in 2018. I don't think he's a good coach either.

Yeah, I had a brain fart

Serious question...
What proof do you have that the Haslam family ever lost any of it's influence at the University of Tennessee? I have seen no credible evidence posted on here that gives any indication of that being true.
I have absolutely none. That just seems to be the consensus on here. Seems like a lot of people were saying Haslam wanted somebody else to coach here when Pruitt was hired..mel tucker if I remember correctly. Do you have info to the contrary?

Reactions: Raebo
Fulmer wanted the coaching job in 2017. I'm still surprised he didn't name himself then. He probably will once Pruitt's time is over.

I have absolutely none. That just seems to be the consensus on here. Seems like a lot of people were saying Haslam wanted somebody else to coach here when Pruitt was hired..mel tucker if I remember correctly. Do you have info to the contrary?
IMHO, which means nothing....
Following the consensus of an internet message forum for football fanatics is not a wise course.
I think it would be near impossible for any family that has made the level of donations as the Haslam clan to not have influence. Bill Haslam did appoint a new Board of Trustees before leaving office. I consider that influence at the highest level.
Those who worship at the alter of Twitter changed nothing at the University of Tennessee.

The discussion I'd like to raise is how difficult would it be to remove Fulmer, given his ties to some of the boosters and the current admin? Deductive reasoning suggests that his ties aren't as strong as they once were, but how deep do these ties now run? How difficult is he to remove? Fulmer has always been too tolerant of mediocrity. He was always reluctant to remove assistants who performed poorly without "encouragement"....see the link below. This seems to be running strong with his inexplicable extension to a head coach that has yet to prove anything. I, personally don't want to see Fulmer hire another defensive minded coach in this era of football and would like to see some, fresh, new ideas here. I have no idea what his current relationships are, but I feel like it's time for him to go in order to make a proper turnaround. How big of an undertaking is this?

Randy Smith: A Tale Of Two Programs
Fulmer is the right man for the job as athletic director.

I still continue to believe that Fulmer got the job in something of a coup. He also was pretty much the only person equipped or who wanted to take the job after Currie was fired.

Add I think Curry was fired because of Fulmer. Remember Currie has Mike Leach in the bag then Fulmer stepped in to save us!

TOTAL BS!!!!!

Again, an incestuous carnival where university administration figureheads all tell each other how great they are, extending contracts, bonuses and buyouts with no accountability to the State that they work for nor the Board of Trustees that are allowing this shat show to continue with thousands of season ticket holders still waiting on their refund while the athletic department holds their money hostage

Reactions: LibertyVolance

When you buy a brand new Cessna Citation XLS business jet and donate it to the athletics department, as Mr. Haslam did, I'd say you still have a lot of influence.

VN Store

Back